Water splutter & noise kitchen tap (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
hi

I've searched for this topic before posting and although there's been discussion, I couldn't find the answer, so here goes.

Water tank is full.
Turn on kitchen tap hot or cold and there's like a water hammer noise and slight splutter of water coming out, although the pressure is ok.
The Surflo water pump makes quite a noise.

If I open the bathroom tap at the same time as the kitchen tap, water comes out of both bathroom & kitchen taps more smoothly and the water hammer noise disappears and the water pump goes to a constant more usually acceptable noise.
Close one of the taps and it goes back to a water hammer noise with a slight spluttering.
This applies to whether the bathroom or kitchen tap is used on its own.

I'm not sure whether there's air trapped in the system which somehow disappears when all taps are on and then comes back when only one in use, or whether it's a water pump problem?

We've put up with it was we are still getting water at a good pressure on demand but I does sound loud and I would like to get to the bottom of it.
Any ideas?
Cheers!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
definitely an airlock open the tap nearest the pump first and run until clear, close and move on to the next tap. do both hot and cold, not forgetting the WC if that is off of the main tank as well keep going until the last tap (furthest from the pump ) runs clear. You need to this every time you run out of water or drain down.

OG1

Dec 9, 2013
Sutton on Sea camping
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 7066F
Exp
Since 2008
This happens every time I empty the water tank and clean the system. just an airlock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
This happened to us. Yes indeed air lock but cause turned out to be a defunct non return valve at water tank end. We kept clearing it but eventually this failed and we ended up with no water whilst away. Frantic time arranging repairs, but now replaced ( under warranty) and perfect.
My advice is get the cause (whatever that may be) sorted before you get left in the lurch.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I had the same problem, kept thinking it was air unfortunately actually turn out the pump was worn out. The seals are worn so when 1 tap is turn on and the pressure gets too high it can seep back rather than cut off. Now I have a new pump it's really surprising how much better the water flow is

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Don't forget to open the shower tap too...
Cheers, Dave(y)

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Thanks everyone. Back home now so will have a good look at this and will see if I can get the problem sorted.
Cheers!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If you only get water hammer when one tap is open and it goes when two are open it could be the pressure switch. The switch shuts the pump off when the tap is closed and the back pressure builds up. It could be that the pressure switch is set too low and is opening and closing when one tap is open ( hammer noise) but when there is twice the amount of water going through it, it is fine and keeps the pump running? (n)

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
If you only get water hammer when one tap is open and it goes when two are open it could be the pressure switch. The switch shuts the pump off when the tap is closed and the back pressure builds up. It could be that the pressure switch is set too low and is opening and closing when one tap is open ( hammer noise) but when there is twice the amount of water going through it, it is fine and keeps the pump running? (n)
Thanks Paul
I will have a read up on the Surflo pump to see how the pressure switch can be adjusted then as it does stop with the more load put on it/more taps being opened.
Thanks!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
more or less whats been said if the flow isnt fast enough pressure will reach shut of point even with the tap open and immediately switch off and then back on we get the same if we dont open the mixer in the bathroom enough obviously with two taps open it will not happen check the flow on the tap isnt restricted by limescale in the end
air locks tend to clear and then not reoccur until the system is emptied again

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back