Water Recycling....a question (1 Viewer)

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
As some of you may know I am looking at building a truck camper to use as a base when we go diving around the country.

When we had our RV the biggest problem we had was water (or the lack of it when 4 or 5 freezing cold divers climbed out of the sea looking lovingly at the nice toasty shower on display!!:ROFLMAO:)

We tend to goto out of the way places where a tap is not very common :Doh:

I am looking at the possibility of fitting a reverse osmosis system to the camper so we can use sea water to purify and use in the shower etc but wanting to do my bit for the environment does anyone know if the same system could be used to purify the waste water from the the sink and shower and also the rain runoff from the roof and recycle it back to the main holding tank?

I know you can use reverse osmosis to turn toilet waste :Eeek: into drinking water but that is a road in not willing to go down!!! :winky:

Having looked on tinterweb reverse osmosis systems dont seem that expensive and i wonder why they are not fitted as standard to motorhomes in general?

Anyone with any experience of these systems that can advise??

Comments as always welcome :thumb::thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Dazzer

I reckon everybody's trying to think of an answer or are on google and wiki. I sure havent got one but will be interested in the response that you get.

Jim
:RollEyes:

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
I think these are the same units that tropical fish keepers use for their Discus tanks. As far as I know they are great for purifying but I dont think anyone would refer to them as enviromentally sound. You only get about ten percent of the water pumped through them, the rest goes to waste.

You also need a higher water pressure to use them than I would imagine you would get in an RV unless using a fairly powerful full time pump.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
dazzer

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
The high pressure pumps needed to make it work are not a problem as we have a petrol driven diving compressor that can pump upto 300bar (4300+psi), we also have lots of diving tanks that only have 80ish bar left in them (empty as far as diving is concerned) and this is more than enough to pressurise the system to make it work. We wont actually need a pump at all as we can use the pressure from the tanks/compressor to push the water through the membrane.

All we need to do is figure out a way of using the pressure from the tanks/compressor to do a bit of pushing (all suggestions gratefully received!!!).

This system looks interesting and isnt overly expensive but is pumped from a mains powered pump :Sad:

Link Removed

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi dazzer speak to brownchurch landrover people on 02085560011 i use a british berkefeld systtem supplied by them for expeditons into africa. it can use almost any water from just about any source. its probably one of the best systems world wide. it uses a 12volt pump towork . give them a ring. i can never understand why campers dont have a recycling water system. could save alot of work keep filling the tank. i do use mine for rainwater harvesting sometimes when wild camping in spain/portugal. cheers alan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back