Water Purification? (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Had the camper 4 years now and suppose I should clean the water tank.

Doesn't need to be drinking quality but clean would be nice.

Can you get tablets or summat to do the job?

Cheers.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You can buy tank sterilizing tablets and solutions, you could use expensive "Miltons baby bottle sterilizing stuff
or you could read all the lablets and discover its just a very mild bleach solution
I use 20 parts water to 1 part standard bleach' pump through to pipes and taps then let stand for 12 Hrs or longer over night .
then fill and flush two or three times, jobs a good un, even the "proper" stuff leaves an after taste and bleachy smell if not flushed properly

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if you normally fill with chlorinated tap water there is no need to bother . you could fill it and leave overnight then drain it and refill if you think you may have inadvertantly added un pure water.
chlorinated tap water will clean it and you can drink the water.
many do have water filter systems . i do have a berkenfeld systen by doulton . but only use it if i have had to fill from rivers etc when way off the beaten track . i do venture to some way out places . but for normal use dont bother just drink from the tank. i would say every where you go in the eu and most of morocco you can get good drinking water .
chlorine /bleach etc same thing really.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
if you normally fill with chlorinated tap water there is no need to bother . you could fill it and leave overnight then drain it and refill if you think you may have inadvertantly added un pure water.

Wot he said! I think extra sterilising is a waste of time and you risk tainting the plastics in the system with nasty flavours. This happened to us with an older caravan and the water which had been perfectly drinkable before sterilisation was rendered permenantly undrinkable.

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Thanks all. I just assumed the tank would be grotty and the water stagnant.

I'll leave it alone.

Another job ticked off the list.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
When we bought the van last year, there was some 'green' around the pipes as they entered the tank.....Still OK?? Dont drink from it at the mo.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I bought a hikers pump for when we are in Portugal and Spain but we drink the water from the tank in the uk and our van is 7 years old. Don't know if it was cleaned or not. Never Thought about it really. My motto is you must have a few germs to keep your resistance up. We don't go silly though.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
[QUOTE="TrishandTerry, post: 1056494, member: 9222"My motto is you must have a few germs to keep your resistance up. We don't go silly though.[/QUOTE]

Exactly......thats why so many kids today have allergies to one thing or another.

I eat my work lunch with dirty hands as usually there are no washing facilities, i drink from the same work lunch cup for a week with just a rinse where i can, i drop something (fruit etc) i pick it up and give it a wipe......i very rarely have stomach problems

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Thanks all. I just assumed the tank would be grotty and the water stagnant.

I'll leave it alone.

Another job ticked off the list.
I certainly wouldn't ignore it at all. There are lots of simple products out there that you can add to a water tank to ensure you kill off any black spot, algae and bacteria :)

Everyone's got a story how they drink from their tanks and haven't died yet. Bit like the stories of the guy that smoked a 100 a day and lived until 100-it's horses for courses :)

Like you I was concerned and pondered over my fresh water system and drinking from it, so now I use these, as they're tasteless, odourless and, more importantly, cheap (y)

I don't use them every fill, far from it, but I do keep a mental date of when I should pop a few into the tank to ensure the system stays fresh :)

I then simply filter the water with a Brita system, same as I do at home cos the chalk content is high here, and then drink it quite happily :)

While taking good advice is exactly what we all do, however you're the ones drinking it, so do what's best for you :)

Happy motorhoming :)

7213.jpg

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
mm70250_51_1024x1024.jpg

Also I used this as it's brilliant. Descales, kills bugs etc etc etc :)

Van was 6 years old and had never been done, so I used this and now I'm much happier as it's given me peace of mind and I know the entire system is scale free and fresh fresh fresh:)

Not bothered what others thought, I did it for me :)

Hope it helps :)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Can you get them on the NHS? :rofl: