water pump unwanted wake up call (1 Viewer)

igcw9170

Free Member
Apr 12, 2010
swansea
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi,

I have just returned from Beziers in my Ci Riviera 181, very hot, got there and back with no problems. There is one annoying niggle though, the water pump seems to have got into a habit of springing into life every couple of hours for a couple of seconds, just long enough to wake you up. I think this is a new occurance as i'm sure I would have noticed it before.
Does anyone know if there is something obvious that I am or am not doing or a way to rectify it?

cheers,
igcw9170.

OP
OP
I

igcw9170

Free Member
Apr 12, 2010
swansea
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
without wanting to sound like an idiot, in the pump or the tank? havent noticed any pool of water on the floor.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Check the connections to the pump. My CI was the same until I tightened them up. Water was running out via the chassis on my Mizar :Smile:

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi IGCW,
The leak could be anywhere. The fact that you cannot see any water, and that the pump is "cycling" every 2 hours or so indicates that it is a very small leak. Short term solution is to turn the pump off at the control panel and only turn it on when you need water. Long term solution is to find it!

good luck
BobT

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
basically anywhere in the systema dripping tap may not be noticed but over a period of time will lower the pressure sufficient for the pump to kick in, clean the filter in the pump pressure valve. then check all taps for leakage. Don't forget the waterheater. all pipe connections in case one can be tightened
leak is between the pump and taps, not back to the tank.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
...and, any external shower, or any 'tap' throughout the van?

I forgot to purge ours once after a winter empty and the pump ran on, or cycled now and again until the penny dropped, and I'd been in every cupboard with a torch for half an hour looking for the leak:Doh:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
When the pressure reaches its preset value, the pump switches off and the water is prevented from running back into the tank by a non-return valve, sometimes separate but usually part of the pump. If there is no leakage anywhere (check for a dripping tap) then it could be that the valve(s) are leaking slightly letting water backflow to the tank.
Solution may be a new pump (expensive) or if it otherwise OK just turn it off at night.:RollEyes:

Aug 18, 2008
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2008
water leak

Hi
Yep a leak - we had same problem with pump and sort of ignored it then no hot water - leak was near hot water gas jet - very slow - but stopped jet eventually - sorted now thanks to Motorhome Medics:thumb: in our area but have learnt never to ignore water pump when it goes on its own.:Doh:

Cheers
Jaen

OP
OP
I

igcw9170

Free Member
Apr 12, 2010
swansea
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
think i'll have a look for any obvious leaks, if none found, due to my complete lack of plumbing ability, i'll opt for the turn it off at night choice.

cheers.

Aug 18, 2008
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2008
leaks

Hi
Sorry but you 'probably' have a small leak somewhere and I think pump will burn out eventually.
We were new to motorhoming at the time but so glad we got someone in to check
Cheers
Jaen

OP
OP
I

igcw9170

Free Member
Apr 12, 2010
swansea
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Dont know if its a coincidence, but I have now been informed by my other half that this seems to have started the night after my son left the washroom tap on and emptied the tank, with the pump still going.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I allways turn off the pump when either driving or sleeping if the pipe in the system should burst you will get a lot of water in a very short time and one hell of a mess to clean up
so by turning off the power the pump can not run on
hope this helps

Aug 18, 2008
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2008
leak

Hi
Sorry back again but draining water tank with a tap dripping would eventualy burn out pump. Pump still working means a leak somewhere - turning off pump will not solve the problem. Only trying to help - it could have cost us a fortune if we had left alone.
Hope you get it sorted - we had no idea as not engineers but have learnt so much after nearly 3 years - huge learning curve and without MotorhomeFun:thumb: help:thumb::thumb: could have been a very expensive one.
Over to you and hope you solve problem.:thumb:
Cheers
Jaen and Colin

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
After owning 5 motorhomes, and every one had this I learned to live with it. Never had a pump 'burned out' and never found a leak.

The worst was the RV since the pump was not fixed very securely and being a big pump it was noisy but never had a problem with it, other than the noise.

Switch it off if it's a problem. if it was a big leak you will soon find it. :Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Can also be caused by the hot water tank cooling down..

if no obvious leak , turn it off at night ,

I wouldn't lose sleep over it , these pumps can take a lot of abuse, can run dry and won't burn out, more likely flatten the battery first ...

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I was under the impression that it was usual for the pump to activate now and again just to maintain the status quo. Isn't that why they advise not to leave swithed on unnecessarily to avoid drain on battery?

Wyn

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi
Sorry back again but draining water tank with a tap dripping would eventualy burn out pump. Pump still working means a leak somewhere - turning off pump will not solve the problem. Only trying to help - it could have cost us a fortune if we had left alone.
Hope you get it sorted - we had no idea as not engineers but have learnt so much after nearly 3 years - huge learning curve and without MotorhomeFun:thumb: help:thumb::thumb: could have been a very expensive one.
Over to you and hope you solve problem.:thumb:
Cheers
Jaen and Colin

If I empty the tank the pump will not run. ECU recognises the tank is empty and stops the pump running, don't they all do this?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I was under the impression that it was usual for the pump to activate now and again just to maintain the status quo. Isn't that why they advise not to leave swithed on unnecessarily to avoid drain on battery?

Wyn

the main reason for switching off when you are asleep or out of the van is in the event of a bust pipe to prevent the van from flooding ..

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Dont know if its a coincidence, but I have now been informed by my other half that this seems to have started the night after my son left the washroom tap on and emptied the tank, with the pump still going.

could be that by emptying the tank you got air in the system.
try filling the tank and systematically run each tap hot and cold to bleed the air out of the pipes
i suppose it could also be a frost prevention valve dripping on the water heater.

andy:thumb:

rhoda

Free Member
Mar 19, 2010
Winchester Hampshire
Funster No
MH
High Top
Exp
AFAIK in a pressure demand system (as opposed to pump activation by outlet microswitches) the pump operates on sensing a pressure drop on the outlet side. Therefore there must be a loss of pressure between the pump and one of the taps/shower head/toilet flush ie a leak. The fact that the pump only runs for a few seconds suggests a very slow leak - perhaps just a drip every now and then.

Personally I would switch the pump off when not required (I had to do this anyway for 6 months when I had a cold tap failure in my sink). However, in the boats that I have owned, which all have the same type of water systems, there is always power to the pump and pressure fluctuations are controled by a small accumulator.

Rhoda

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back