Water Pump Trouble in Auto Trail? (2 Viewers)

Stevewheel

Free Member
May 2, 2017
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V Line 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
Appealing to all you seasoned Auto Trailers out there...we have a relatively new Autotrail V Line SE PVC and, for the most part are very happy with it. Inevitably there are a few things that are just plain "different" to our last MH but nothing that is a real problem TBH.
However, I need to ask about the water pumps that Auto Trail fit. Ours delivers plenty of water to taps/shower/wc etc but it does have a very noisy "machine gun" kind of sound. I've drained down and refilled etc and followed all the instructions to ensure we don't have air in the system but to no avail. Do we just have to accept that Auto Trail water pumps are noisy?
As always I remain grateful for all suggestions/guidance...thanks in advance.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
A picture of the pump and pipework would be useful.. don't have an Autotrail , this is generic advice

it is most likely a have a Surflo pump or similar positive displacement pump, and they can be noisy if not installed properly.. things to check

1. pipework going into the pump not supported properly and is ratting against the wall or floor.. so check fixings.
  2. pump not mounted on rubber feet.. or they have come loose.. check and fit
  3. pipework connected to pump should be flexible ,if it's rigid pipe you can buy a Silencer flexible hose kit to connect to the pump.
The other thing you can do is to make an acoustic sound box to fit over the pump to reduce the noise..

Another option that can help reduce pulsing and hence noise, is to fit an Accumulator on the discharge line from the pump. Fiamma make them

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
If it is a surflo pump it could need the pressure switch adjusting,
This is done via a cross head screw on the bottom of the pump,
It wont make it quiet but should cure the machine gun affect.

Eric

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Not familiar with the V line (there is a dedicated group on Facebook)..
As other have stated it's a very common Surflo pump and I was about to suggest the pressure screw adjustment BUT @gloworm must have got up before me today :D;)

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If the pump is actually starting and stopping, ie pulsing, yes the pressure cut-out switch needs adjusting,

to do this turn adjusting screw (on end of pump) clockwise to raise pressure, 1/4 turn at a time until the pump runs without starting and stopping..

If however it's running AND it's also noisy, see previous post ..

I had this problem in my RV ..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Stevewheel

Stevewheel

Free Member
May 2, 2017
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V Line 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks @scotjimland Yes, it is running, just noisily and with this "machine gun" or percussion drill kind of sound (although not as extreme of course) Will check out your other suggestions. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A diaphragm pump like yours has what is effectively three pistons alternately pushing water along the pipes so the noise should be a rapid bump/thud.
A centrifugal pump has an impeller and delivers a constant flow so the only noise should be a buzz/hum.
A diaphragm pump is noisy by design but can be reduced by its careful installation as mentioned by others above.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Stevewheel

Stevewheel

Free Member
May 2, 2017
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V Line 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks @pappajohn What you say makes sense. I'll look at the installation for faults and then at ways to dampen the noise.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
On our tracker, Autotrail mounted it on the loo wall so when it operated it vibrated through the wall and made a hell of a racket.

The company i bought it off altered the original mounting and fixed it on rubbers and to a frame mounted on the floor.

This absorbed the vibration and quieten it up considerably.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back