Free Member
Jan 16, 2012
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I am a newbie
Has anyone had problems with their water pump due to the cold weather freezing it? We did everything you are advised to do - drained out the whole system during the coldest months - we usually use the van in the winter months but as the weather has been so bad since January, it has been stored outside for the past 3 months apart from a few trips when we have used it just to pick up some large items we bought. The van had only been serviced last October and we used it for a 3 week trip just before Xmas. We had it fixed and was told not to drain down the whole system completely as the small part that had broken was caused by just a small drop of water left in the system that had frozen and caused the part to expand and break. We were also told that the newer vans
( ours is 2009) are fitted with a different kind of pump now that fits outside. Our water pump is fixed inside under the wardrobe cupboard.

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
I would always drain down completely (search fun for full instructions)
by this time of year normally would leave water in but still getting very hard frosts in Lincolnshire and will not risk leaving full yet.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Mine is under the dinette seat behind the cab and not outside.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
that little bit of water in the pump will freeze....but so will a lot of water in the pump.

very hard to get all the water out but the more water out, the better the chance of a working pump later.

my filler is via an onboard valve and hose connector so i can blow out almost all the water with compressed air.
can be done on a european vans gravity fill point but the filler needs sealing round the airline first to allow pressure to build up.

if accessible try wrapping the pump in an old blanket or something similar to keep the cold out.

a more expensive option is to use potable antifreeze.....NOT the stuff in your radiator.

not cheap but can be recovered and used again for a couple of seasons at least.

Last edited:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Usually these pumps have a push on/off outlet of 6-12mm depending on size an model. Just disconnect and blow it out, cables are usually long enough for this.

Mine arrived split last year as the dealer hadn't fully drained it down, just enough water in it to split the side, fortunately I noticed the lack of pressure and asked them to replace it at their cost.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I switched mine on for a short while once the system had finished emptying,and also left the drain off valve for the heater open whilst i done this.It does say that the pump can be run dry.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I switched mine on for a short while once the system had finished emptying,and also left the drain off valve for the heater open whilst i done this.It does say that the pump can be run dry.

The Reich/Whale type pumps can be run for quite some time dry. Many hours from my experience with them. Few seconds will be fine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back