Water pump operating autonomously (1 Viewer)

Nov 17, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600L
Exp
2 Years
I am away at the moment. On two occasions I have found water in the shower stall. I have checked for leaks and cannot find any obvious ones and there is no water down any walls. Last night I thought I heard the water pump on a couple of occasions. Linking the two, is it possible for the shower to have operated. It would explain the mystery water but then I don't get how even if the pump operated a ' closed' shower worked. No other taps appeared to. Any ideas

I recollect reading something about this but have done some searches on this forum and nothing came up Thanks

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Do you know if your pump is activated by switches in the tap or by the drop in pressure when a tap is opened? If the latter, and there is a slight leak somewhere, the pump will come on at odd times of the day.
To confirm it is to do with the water system, and not rainwater coming in, you could turn the pump off at night and see what happens. Assuming there is a switch for the pump.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NickA
Nov 17, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600L
Exp
2 Years
Thanks all. I'm home later and away next week again so will switch off the pump when not in use and see if that solves it. I'll also check out the activation method.

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Our previous van had pressure switches on the taps & occasionally the pump would run! Think it was due to a tap losing its seal!

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
If you get some bypass of any seals on the fresh water system the pump will "top up" the system.

Are not all the water systems working on pressure drop that instructs the pump to start working?

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Silly question, you didn't accidentally leave the shower in the "on' position? In our motorhome this means forgetting to push the lever back down.

I've done it a couple of times and it causes the effect you've described - small amount of water in the shower tray and pump operating very occasionally.

Karen

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks all. I'm home later and away next week again so will switch off the pump when not in use and see if that solves it. I'll also check out the activation method.
To check what type your system is just look at a tap from the underside of the sink or basin. If it has wires coming out of it then it is the microswitches type. If it doesn't then it is the pressure switch type.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
It's likely that your water pump is controlled by the pressure in your system. That means that the pump may come on from time to time if the pressure drops. That may often happen at night, even if no leaks are present or water drawn, as the water temperature drops. Those disturbed by such occurrences should switch the pump off overnight.
I'd separate the pump action from the discovery of water in the shower tray. It's possible that something may be striking the shower tap (e.g. a shower door) to turn it on. Try to look for a pattern and that may draw you to the cause.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
generally speaking if the pump is in the water tank its always microswitched and if external it is mostly presure switched but not always the wires from the base of the taps need to be connected to something as the same taps are used with both systems just wiring not connected on pressure systems

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you get some bypass of any seals on the fresh water system the pump will "top up" the system.

Are not all the water systems working on pressure drop that instructs the pump to start working?
No - the more sensible systems use microswitches in the taps.:)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back