Water pump just stopped pumping ! help ? (1 Viewer)

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
The mrs used the cold tap fine then a minute later nothing ! pump not making noise to show its on anymore ?
I checked fuses in control panel are ok 2015-07-23 17.49.41.jpg

Were on hook up at the moment on a site on Ile De Re France.

There are 2 switches in wardrobe for hot water i think 2015-07-23 17.57.23.jpg

The boiler feels quite hot as if its full of hot water so i switched off the 2 above pic for now.
The boiler 2015-07-23 17.48.59.jpg has no obvious fuses showing unless i have to pull off the small triangular lid just above the wire on pic ?

The pump 2015-07-23 17.48.22.jpg has a plastic cover over i think is a filter it dripped when i unscrewed it a little.

So any ideas what i can try to get it going again will be appreciated, many thanks Jack.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Do any taps work? It depends whether they use pressure or have micro switches as to next course of action.

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Thanks for replying DanielFord No taps working they are lever mixer taps the mh is a 2004 autotrail cheyenne if that helps ? I dont know anything about micro switches though ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Probably pressure activation then, a bit odd that it would suddenly conk out with no warning. I am in agreement with your inspections, you clearly suspect a blown fuse, I think there must be one in the pump unit somewhere. Beyond that I am afraid I cannot help. :-(

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
OK Thanks, i think i have the boiler manual with me il see if i can dig it out to see if theres anything i can try.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
If your van is like mine it has the control panel over the hab door unscrew the panel after sliding off the cover and unplug from wire leave for a minute and then reconnect you should hear the pump start then all is well.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Simple and easy way to check pump quickly is to use a Multitester and see if you have a voltage to the pump. If so pump may be dead - if no voltage at pump end there is a fuse along that feed.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
The pump you have fitted is common to Auto-Trails and can pack up without any warning. It looks easy to get to so what I suggest based on what you have said is uncouple the pipework and wiring and split the impeller housing. Inside you will see the pressure mechanism. There is every possibility that there is a build up of water impurities on the contacts. Clean them up and test it for working on your leasure or engine battery before you put it back. If it fails to work then you need a replacement. Usually they are very reliable but Auto-Trail once told me that a bad batch had been received and were failing earlier than normal. As your motorhome is getting on in years there's a possibility that it has packed in through fair wear and tear. If there was a bad connection in the water line it wouldn't stop running until you turned the switch off. I have been let down whilst away from home and since then I always carry a spare one along with a gas regulator. By the way if you need a new one just check the operating pressure on the side of the pump and replace it like for like as there are other operating pressures available.

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
I tried disconnecting control panel and reconnecting it earlier as it has solved a glitch before but not this time, i had a go at checking glass fuse in boiler but even contorting with a torch i couldnt get close enough to be sure its still ok so will have to strip bed above to look down on it to check it properly when the girls are out. i checked wires back as far as i could see for in line fuses but none where i could trace them. i left my multi tester at home on workshop bench so i wouldnt forget it ! :oops:
I just hope its not the pcb , the boiler is still hot though i shut off power to it including another switch i found under cooker i think they may have fuses in them to check too ?
Anything else i can do ?
Ive explained to the boss if it comes to it the cold drain off at external rear is our new cold tap and the boiler drain off if still filling without pump and getting hot with switches on is our new hot water tap till i can get it fixed ! just like camping the old way without 5 gallon container lugged to n from a tap :whistle:

Stripping the pump sounds like a lot of work on holiday unless i get left home alone for a while here, so i may wait till we get home to deal with it if an easier fix dont work

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Dont think its worth looking at the boiler fuse if the cold doesnt work as well it must be the pump or pump power supply.Did you get the fuses out of the fuse box and check them all or just look at the circuit breakers?

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
I checked all the spade fuses on the board are ok and the breakers are all on none tripped.
after i took top off boiler fuse cover and put it back the pump did make a sound for a second then nothing so i think its all pointing to a fault at or with the pump ?
Ive shut all power to the pump/boiler off for now and if still not working i will try having a go at the pump after beach duties etc tomorrow .
Thanks for all the replies you`ve really helped me get my brain back in gear but any other ideas are still most welcome.(y)

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
Friend had same problem!!It took about 10mins to take it out and about 10more to strip and clean it a out.Put it back and it worked fine.I always carry a spare just in case!!

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Will I need to completely drain fresh water tank to take pump off the speed fit pipes ? Or will it be ok to just put a tray under it as there's no pressure now everything's off ?

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
this may sound stupid but has anyone knocked or turned of the switch to the pump if it is a pressurised system as it should be with that pump then there will be a switch. the boiler will have nothing to do with the pump the glass fuse is only for the protection of the boilers 12v circuit board. If the cover on the pump you are talking about is the one where the red wires enter then this only houses the pressure switch there will be a screw on the end of this which is only there to adjust the cut in / cut out on the pressure switch. this might be worth trying, one of the red wires should be live (as long as it is switched on or fuse hasn't blown) disconnect both red wires from the pump pressure switch and temporarily join together using a spare blade fuse if you have one or a bit of wire if not, the pump should now work, if it does it tells you the pressure switch is knackered, if it doesn't then it could be the actual pump motor.

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
I will have to digest that idea and if I can work out in my head how to do that I will try , I'm better with bricks and cement than
electrickery mechanicals hahaha (y)

The only switches I can see are the 2 single socket sized ones in the wardrobe one has ultra heat on it and another socket under cooker I think says ultra heat too ? I can't see a switch on pump tho ?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The switches you refer to are mains switches. They will not affect any 12v stuff at all.
I would say the pump has died a death.

Fortunately they are REALLY easy to change out, as long as you can get a replacement where you are ( but they are VERY common so you should have no problem

The tank is below the pump so you will not have to drain it down...
However, the water in the pipes ( esp. the shower one ) will want to make a bid for freedom so have a couple of towels and a saucepan at the ready !
The pipes simply unscrew, and the two wires are usually on spade terminals
Worse way, its a 30 minute job to swap a pump over (y)

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
It's obvious the first time you have been confronted with this problem but don't despair. The first port of call is the fuse. If that's ok then you need to remove the pump from the wall and strip the top end down, it's a simple job to do. Once you have exposed the impeller area you will see a WISHBONE which is on a cradle, usually this has a tendency to stick, stopping the pump from working. Clean it up so that it is free on the cradle, put it all back together and try it on your leisure battery or engine battery before you put it back. Hopefully your problem will be solved otherwise it will be the motor that's called it a day. Good Luck.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Our van has a switch which cuts off all the pump supply in the area where you open the waste water valve. Like full timer says, you could have unwittingly switched it off, I have done this a few times by accident.
Phil

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Well I did as advised stripped pump down checked all bits mentioned free and clean, I blew, sucked and shook it then got carried away I opened the Magnito bit ! Had great fun getting the sprung brushes back on coil . After a rest I worked a way of getting them back on using 2 cocktail sticks.
Put it all back together after an hours messing about mostly due to the brushes bit and what ya know it's working fine again :cool:

I just hope it lasts now, thanks for all your help guys you were a great help (n) Jack,

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
One more thing if I may, is it ok to leave the 3 switches I mentioned earlier on all the time as when on hook up the water is always hot in the boiler or should they be switched on n off only when hot water is required ?
They have always been on since we got this mh .

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Not the same system, but we leave our hot water on all the time when parked up, on ours we have 70C and 50C 99% of the time set to 50C which is more than hot enough. So glad you got sorted, but would advise getting spare pump on return to home.

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Oops I just noticed thumbs up smiley on my thanks post is wrong ! Bloody fat fingers on my phone. and no edit button which is unusual on a forum ? Im sure you got that I am greatful for all your help, thanks again . Jack

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ours are always on if on hook up ( unless we are in Spain and paying for lecy on top of pitch fees ! )

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
It is always on when on hook up instant hot water, but off hook up I use the gas or electric controls to heat up only when needed but it seems to take ages to get warm enough ? Though I'm never quite sure if im using the controls properly.
Pumps still great tho ! :D

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The pump has nothing whatsoever to do with the boiler electrics.
the pump simply forces cold water into the boiler when a hot tap is opened.
the pump is only connected to the cold supply.

Your fault is either electrical (no 12v supply) or mechanical (pump failure)

There is no fuse or user accessible switch on the pump.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Tsk.. I dunno !
PJ, do make the effort for goodness sake.. Sitting at the back of the class playing angry birds and not paying attention is not correct behaviour at all young man

The pump fault was sorted and cured at the bottom of page one ! :RollEyes::rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back