Aug 3, 2015
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Compass Suntor 180
Exp
I'm new
Hi,
I am new to both motor homing and this site and am already in need of some help. On the families first trip out in our Compass Suntor 180 the pump appeared to stop working. The light is on at the control panel but there is no running water and no sound of a pump working. Is it easy to get at the pump, is it a DIY fix and does it even sound like a bust water pump? Sorry about all the questions but I am flailing around in the dark.
Thanks,
Cris

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Calm down Cris, don't flail around in the dark, put a light on and flail around. :LOL:
Right, you have to find the pump first, it will prob be under a seat or in a cupboard at floor level.
It is 12 volt so easy to mess with. There is a pressure switch that monitors the pressure in the water pipe, when the pressure drops as you open a tap the pressure switch notices this and turns the pump on. You need to check if there is 12v at the switch then 12v at the pump with a test meter first. If there's power at the pump it may have failed.
Good luck.(y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Have you used it before? switch all the power supplies on at the control panel in case it is wired to another circuit and try some other taps it could be an on demand system rather than pressurised

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

Cris

Free Member
Aug 3, 2015
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Compass Suntor 180
Exp
I'm new
Thanks for the advice but it was working albeit at a dribble and then it stopped. We had a full fresh water tank and I don't think we knocked a switch that may have cut any circuit

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Firstly check all switches are on, easy to knock one off. Can you confirm battery is charged? lastly try switching off control panel leaving for a few minutes and switching on.
Where are you parked up?

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Do you know what type of pump it is. Is it pressure activated or worked by small switches in the taps. The more you tell us about the system you have the better people will be able to help.

steve & ann. --------- teensvan

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
first things first

is the main 12volt power ON

is the pump power switch ON

Is there water in the TANK

does the pump RUN (ie make a noise) when you open a tap

REPORT BACK and we can help

OP
OP
C

Cris

Free Member
Aug 3, 2015
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Compass Suntor 180
Exp
I'm new
Thanks everyone. There is water in the tank, the main 12 volt power is on, the pump power switch is on and lights up and the pump doesn't run - i've checked the fuse and that is fine and have possibly located the pump - under a seat there are two cables that seem to disappear into the top of the fresh water tank - but can't see an easy way to get it out. I don't know whether the system is pressure activated or operated with micro switches but neither tap works - is it likely that both switches have gone at the same time?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
no both switches wont fail at the same time. in the back of my mind I seem to recall that your van will have a pump inside the tank(submersible). otherwise its going to be near the tank. just follow the cold water pipe from the tank.

first try tapping the pump whilst its supposed to be running with the handle of a screwdriver in case its stuck

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Cris

Not likely that two micro-switches have gone at the same time, check under the taps in the kitchen or bathroom and if there are no wires it is not a micro-switch system anyway. You said that the pump was working but only a dribble so now that it does not work at all it would be reasonable to suspect the pump has failed.

Martin

OP
OP
C

Cris

Free Member
Aug 3, 2015
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Compass Suntor 180
Exp
I'm new
Cheers for the advice. I will spend the evening following pipes and getting to know the inner workings of my new home on wheels

Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
Now we are on the subject anyone know of a quiet one?

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Chris.

It sounds as if you do have a submersible pump. You will need to remove from tank. Sometimes not easy. It has a spinning wheel at the bottom of it called an impellor. It should spin freely and run fast when you put 12v on it. If it runs slowly or not at all change it. There will be a size and output on it. get one the same or better. About £30-£40.

steve & ann. ---------- teensvan

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Are you sure the wires going into the tank are for the pump, they could befor a water level guage. Pressure controlled pumps are not usually submersible. Tap switched pumps will have wires coming from the underneath of the taps so that is easy to check. Did the pump when it was working whiz or whine or did it make a rapid pop pop type of sound. Whir whine sounds are likely to be switched, and the pop pop type pressure controlled as they are positive displacement pumps which move a specific ammount of water with each pop, and do not allow flowback so the pressure is maintained.

Good luck though it sounds like the pump.

OP
OP
C

Cris

Free Member
Aug 3, 2015
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Compass Suntor 180
Exp
I'm new
Thank you everyone for all your help. One pump replaced and two taps pouring out fresh water at the pull of a lever - happy days.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back