Water pump doesn't operate with shower (1 Viewer)

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I replaced our water pump, which was leaking badly and not pumping very well, with a Shurflo, which works much better - via the taps. However, turning on the shower does not cause the pump to operate. It did with the old pump.

Our workaround is to simply turn on a tap very slightly, to cause the pump to turn on, and then the shower works fine - as long as we leave the tap slightly on. Could it just be that the pressure switch on the pump needs adjusting?

Steve

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Steve, I have a similar problem at the moment, shower will only run if I turn the bathroom sink tap on.

I don't have time to worry about it at the moment, will probably fix it while we are in France in October but will follow this thread with interest.

Hymie.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Steve

you have replaced a submersible pump with a Shurfo ..? I suspect your shower tap micro switch is u/s ..

A submersible pump works by a feed from the tap microswitch.. each tap has a switch.

Normally a Shurflo is fed directly , not via tap micro switches.. it doesn't need them.. it has a pressure switch that turns the pump on when it senses low pressure..

Surflo pumps have a bigger current than submersible ones, and will eventually burn the contacts of the micro switches.

A solution would be to disconnect the wires at the shower micro switch and connect them together with a connector or simply twist them together and insulate.

Best solution is to remove all micro switches and just have a feed to the Shurflo via the on/off pump switch.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
No, the original pump was also pressure operated, there are no micro switches on the taps or the shower.

Steve

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
No, the original pump was also pressure operated, there are no micro switches on the taps or the shower.

Steve

ok.. forget what I said..

try lowering the pump pressure switch setting with the shower tap open.. (adjust the screw on the pressure switch anti clockwise ) do it gradually, 1/4 turn at a a time

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Before you go adjusting anything try the shower tap with the hose or spray head disconnected.

Could be too much back pressure with the spray head attached.

Once proved either way then start fiddling.

If it is the head causing problems you may need one with bigger holes.

Adjusting the pressure switch to lower the cut off/in may mean the pump runs for an excessive time after closing the other taps.

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Yes, I've already tried it with the head off - same result. I'm going to have to try to find a screwdriver short enough (or an offset one) to adjust the switch, as the adjuster faces the floor and there's not a huge gap.

There's an accumulator fitted, if that makes a difference, and I've read that these need to be set to the correct pressure, but there doesn't seem to be any way to do that with this one, it only appears to have an inlet and outlet for water.

Steve

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
the accumaulator shouldnt make any difference ive not looked at a caravan type but domestic ones have a tyre valve on the top to refill the bladder inside
i cant see how the pump doesnt kick in with an open end on the showerhose i assume the water gushes the slows to nothing?
is it the same on hot and cold to the shower?
it sounds like a dodgy pressure switch but it works on the other taps only thing i can think of is the pipe work to the shower is blocked and holding pressure in the main pipework and the initial flow is what creeps past and is relesed when the tap is opened
is it possible a washer was pushed into the pipework while changing the pump?ive had that before on domestic
possibly it will be a case of opening the pipework further back towards the pump in stages to find out at which point it works
just thought its not the washer in the tap end of the hose blocking the flow?

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i wouldnt adjust the pump till i was sure the pipework is clear flowing not sure of your set up but back filling from a hose with the pimp dissconnected will prove its clear

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
As Jim points out, with the tap open very slightly to activate the pump, the shower then works fine, so I think the pipework to the shower must be clear.

Steve

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
ok.. forget what I said..
Jim, I owe you an apology. I was about to have a go at adjusting the pressure switch, but I found that the shower had started working. Further investigation revealed that the taps DO have switches on them, so presumably the shower does too and the switch has gone intermittent.

I had foolishly assumed that the pump was pressure operated, as the original wasn't submersible either. From what you say, it seems my best way forward is to change to a pressure operated system by bypassing the tap andf shower micro switches. I'm not sure at the moment how I get to the shower switch, though.

Steve

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Glad you solved the mystery .. yes, I would get rid of the micro-switches and associated wiring. Less to go wrong.. KISS

There may be an access hatch behind the shower taps.. in a wardrobe/cupboard.. ? ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back