Water Pump And Non Return (again) (1 Viewer)

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Hope everyone is out enjoying he weekend!(raining where I live!)

On the off chance some of you are home I have a query, The submersible pump has been changed at some time on my van, think I will change it again, nasty clips and sizing differences meant hose continually falling off where screw access comes in to tank.

The pump is an inline whale, (the connecting hose to the inlet is in the bin, twas disgusting! )

the other thing in the picture is I guess a powered non return valve? Question is will I be able to use a mechanical non return valve on the other side of the pump? Hoping to get away with a reich simple single outlet? Says 14 litre per minute on the box!

P1030828.JPG

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
When our pump burnt out last year I rang Camper UK,who are UK agents for our van (LMC) and asked about a replacement.They had the old pump in stock but told me that LMC were now fitting an uprated pump,and,that so long as the tank had a 5" hole in top,it could be fitted.
That pump had an integral non-return valve,so,simple to sort out.
Actually I thought all pumps had integral non-return valves :) Praps it's just Euro vans.
Any way,this sounds like good opportunity to do some upgrading (y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Looks like a dogs breakfast.. and two pumps in series by the looks of it :rolleyes:

I suggest you fit the Reich twin pump 19lt per minute, as fitted to Hymers .. has a built in check valve..

just check your tank opening can accommodate ..

Tank opening required 80mm

612191_lge.jpg

also here

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Looks like a dogs breakfast.. and two pumps in series by the looks of it :rolleyes:

I suggest you fit the Reich twin pump 19lt per minute, as fitted to Hymers .. has a built in check valve..

just check your tank opening can accommodate ..

Tank opening required 80mm

612191_lge.jpg

also here

Link Removed
Looks not dissimilar to our new one(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Another vote for the Reich twin pump, but you may need the one without the non-return valve as you probable have a non-return valve in the system as you pic shows 2 pumps.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Another vote for the Reich twin pump, but you may need the one without the non-return valve as you probable have a non-return valve in the system as you pic shows 2 pumps.
Wouldn't it be worth while removing the 'inline valve' in favour of having it all in one unit?

OP
OP
bhs

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Ripping out as we speak, thankyou everyone

OP
OP
bhs

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
PS my van is a Hymer B574, wonder who did that to it!

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
bodge it & sod it, springs to mind,:rolleyes::rolleyes:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Whoever did that to your Hymer needs publicly flogging!
This is what the finished result should look like (ignore the odd bit of pipe lying underneath the pump and attached to a blue spigot - that is the aftermath of a temporary fix in France a few years ago and has no connection to the pump).
DSC_4482.JPG

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I'd hazard a guess it was local DIY butcher .. :eek:
Oi!! I'll have you know that Louth's butchers are world renowned!

Oh, I see what you mean ...

Can't speak for our local DIY bodgers, but our local professionals (Couplands Caravans, but they do motorhomes as well) are generally thought to be pretty good, so I doubt it was them.

I agree, a fresh start is called for. Not a pretty sight.

OP
OP
bhs

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
yes Louths butchers are brill (at butchering)
ordered a pump but i realise i am going to be short of the fitting that goes to the water tank cap, does it have a name? is that half inch pipe or 10mm Philip?

Am in North Somercotes Caller, bizzarly bought a car from Couplands!

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The pipe I used is 10mm but the critical dimension is the external diameter. I bought a couple of metres from this supplier:http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/shopping.asp?intDepartmentId=6 which has OD of 16mm but this is a little too small. Ideally you need 17mm OD if you can find it, otherwise the screw fittings that hold the pump will not get a firm grip. I solved the problem by winding the pipe with PTFE tape to pack it out a bit.
The screw fittings are hard to source. I got a couple from Marcle Leisure I think, but they were the only ones he had 'knocking about the workshop' - not a normal sale item.
I have just looked through the stock on Brownhill's Ebay shop (often a good source of parts but not cheap) but they don't have any. It is no good contacting Reich in the UK as they seem only to deal in caravan movers over here. Two sources I would try:
Peter Hambilton (talk to Rosie) Link Removed
Edgehill Motorhomes (speak to Lee or Paul) Edgehill Motorhomes Nottinghamshire UK - Hymer
Just to add to your woes, a new pump will not have the clip-on grit screen that you can see on the bottom of my picture above (a white plastic perforated disc). These have to be transferred from pump to pump.

p.s. think I may have found a source of parts(as well as the pump of course) - Leisure shop Direct
Link Removed
Link Removed

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
p.s. think I may have found a source of parts(as well as the pump of course) - Leisure shop Direct
Link Removed
Link Removed

good find (y)

@bhs I bought my pump from Marcle Leisure

Steve included the nylon compression nut FOC .. and if required he will also supply FOC a short piece of suitable pipe .. if stuck speak to him

OP
OP
bhs

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Thanks both, thats great info, hopefully get sorted tomorrow, sun shining today, think I will get under the van!

OP
OP
bhs

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Reich pump fitted, first one worked never needed the third one!

Polarity interesting, poor flow when I followed original wiring (brown to brown, blue to blue) reversed connections works well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back