AUDREY CLARKE

Free Member
Oct 8, 2018
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
High top
Exp
Hi, we're newbies going off tomorrow to try out Motorhome, didn't realise the pitfalls of cleaning the water pipes, what's the best way to ensure germ free water?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We don't drink the water from the tank, use a container filled fresh each day.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Hi, we're newbies going off tomorrow to try out Motorhome, didn't realise the pitfalls of cleaning the water pipes, what's the best way to ensure germ free water?
How long are you away for?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We always drank water from the tank.... Not so much as a sore throat in ten years.
Tap water contains chlorine and as long as its not left unused for weeks is safe to drink.
But it depends on your constitution.... I've drank from rivers, puddles, water butts etc as a kid and built up a resistance.
Many remote small Scottish villages are fed directly from an open reservoir and could contain anything from dead trees to dead animals... Nobody dies drinking the water.
Pamper your stomach and you'll suffer for it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
didn't realise the pitfalls of cleaning the water pipes, what's the best way to ensure germ free water?

Whos told you to clean the pipes or to ensure the water is germ free? We've been drinking the water from a tank filled by a hose for years - never a problem. Its nicer if you drain the old water off and put some fresh in before you leave.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
When it comes down to it, we hardly ever drink tank water direct. Tea or coffee is made with boiling water and should we want to drink tank water, we run it through a "Nature Pure" built-in filter.
In truth we have rarely had a problem with drinking water going bad but when it does, it is not always easy to eradicate the smell of bad eggs which we got this year in our shower and bathroom taps. It finally went away after running very hot water through the two outlets. I can confirm that taking a shower that smells of stink bombs, loses most of its magic.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If you are worried add a mug full of bleach as you fill your water tank,flush it through all your taps and leave for a few hours or overnight.No longer,then empty your tank flushing through all your pipes ie turn taps on :D refill and flush your tank a couple of times
Right now for my hard hat .....from the don't use bleach bigrade :D2

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
If you are worried add a mug full of bleach as you fill your water tank,flush it through all your taps and leave for a few hours or overnight.No longer,then empty your tank flushing through all your pipes ie turn taps on :D refill and flush your tank a couple of times
Our Terry is going for his hard hat because the water from your fresh water tank goes into the water heater and the manufactures don't like bleach in the heater coils. (y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As a new owner, you want to ensure the system is clean, so as @Terry said ... ( don't use thick perfumed beach, just thin cheap bleach )

and after that there is more than enough chlorine in your tap water to keep the tank and pipes clean...

and PLEASE do not buy bottled water .. not only killing the planet but you are more likely to get germs from it than your tank... unless you are outside the EU and the water supply is suspect..

and don't waste money on Milton.. it is just very weak bleach with salt .. It contains 1% sodium hypochlorite (NaClO) and 16.5% sodium chloride (NaCl; common salt).

Cheap thin Household bleach is 5% sodium hypochlorite.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Used it once a long time ago. Never did get rid of the taste.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Used it once a long time ago. Never did get rid of the taste.

perhaps you did it wrong or used thick bleach .. but there should be no after taint if done correctly and flushed properly

water systems in factories and offices and routinely chlorinated using sodium hypochlorite.

chlorinated water is also used widely in the food industry in hydro-wash flumes for cleaning fruit and pre packed salads..

How Is Your Produce Being “Washed”?

The most common type of sanitizer used is , in the form of sodium hypochlorite (in granules, tablets or liquid). In addition to the dosage amount, the amount of free chlorine, pH, temperature and the amount of organic matter (what is in the water in addition to the sanitizer, e.g., soil) all impact the effectiveness of the sanitizer. Other types of sanitizers used include Broken Link Removed, ozone, aqueous chlorine dioxide, etc. New types of sanitizers are also currently being researched, such as neutral electrolyzed water and acid electrolyzed water.
https://www.theproducenerd.com/2016/07/how-is-your-produce-being-washed/

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
18 years of motorhoming... 6 vans (i think)...
Used water from several countries within Europe and Morocco..
Never cleaned a pipe or tank in my life.. Still here :D

Just give it a good flush a few times, we dont drink direct from the tap but use water once boiled.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I thought it was only beer pipes that need cleaning.:)
Always drink from the tank, do use a cheap inline filter inline with kitchen but that is more for taste than safety.
Flush the system once a year with white wine vinegar but that is to clean chalk build up in the boiler.

Jan 12, 2016
Amble
Funster No
MH
adria izola
Exp
since 2014
Always use the tank, Just flush every now and then ,

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
perhaps you did it wrong or used thick bleach .. but there should be no after taint if done correctly and flushed properly

water systems in factories and offices and routinely chlorinated using sodium hypochlorite.

chlorinated water is also used widely in the food industry in hydro-wash flumes for cleaning fruit and pre packed salads..

https://www.theproducenerd.com/2016/07/how-is-your-produce-being-washed/
I was, admittedly, less clued-up on such matters in 1983 :D.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
For a true gastronomic experience, try making a cup of tea with water that passed through a Milton cleaned pipe. After a complete water change x6, ours still tasted awful.
I have heard that in some countries where Vodka (or I suppose Gin) is very cheap, it can do a sterling job of cleaning the pipework. To check its effectiveness, you should take several sample for drinking. Just to check their is no residual taste.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just use normal common sense when refilling the tank i.e. clean/disinfect any supply tap you are not 100% happy with to avoid transferred infection. Plenty of anecdotes of folk rinsing their toilet cassettes from the drinking water tap!
Some recommend using a food-grade hose but we've always used a (dedicated) garden hose. Whatever, flush the hose through first before filling.
Drain down after every trip, or at least drain off any "old" water before refilling for a new trip. If it's been a while since last used I tend to do a full system flush before final refill.
Don't bother with additives etc. unless you've got a problem. Remember, though, nasty niffs are more likely coming from the waste water system, which is a different subject.
We only use bottled water for cold drinks, because we can cool it in the fridge. Hot drinks use the tank.
In 10 years never had a problem (well, that could be related to bad water).

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Bottled water is full of bugs which is why they carry a warning not to use for babies. The bottles are useful though, fill up from tap and put in the fridge.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back