Water overflows constantly when pump is on (1 Viewer)

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
New problem … when I turn on a tap I get a very poor flow and i can hear and see water coming out through the overflow pipe under the van. This only happens when the pump is operating.

Tank is about 1/4 full. If I turn the valve on the fresh water tank to lower it to 20 litres, then water flows out through the overflow. So pretty sure its not that valve at fault

I have recently had to disconnect the habitation battery so I am wondering if my Combi 6 heating boiler has automatically opened an overflow valve but … I can’t find the valve anywhere.

Hymer Exsis-i 588 - 2018.

Anyone got any ideas?

TIA

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
The Truma has an automatic dump valve that dumps boiler water below 3 deg. Sounds like that is open. I would have no idea where it on your van but it will have an outlet under the van.

The hot circuit has drained but you are pumping water into it when the pump is running, it then continues to dump the water as the pump is running.
That's my guess.

Looks like this

<Broken link removed>

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Yes, as above. The dump would have activated when the battery was disconnected. Now any time you try to run water it will flow out until you reset the valve on boiler.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Valve may look like this....

red knob.jpg

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
The manual valve should look like this. Its usually very near the boiler.

s-l500.jpeg

OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
The hot circuit has drained but you are pumping water into it when the pump is running, it then continues to dump the water as the pump is running.

That would make sense and so I've been hunting for the valve but I just can't find it. The boiler is under the dinette seat so easy to access. I've looked at the instruction manual for the boiler and it shows a picture of a valve similar to the one in the post above but where they've hidden it I don't know!

IMG_2425.jpg

OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
It will be above where the water is coming out
Its coming out of the overflow below the fresh water tank - whether that overflow is also connected to the boiler I can't tell.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
It's used to drain the boiler down for winter storage. Follow the white pipe which is attached to the boiler in the bottom RH of your picture.

I am sure the black pipe is the gas supply. (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Are you sure it is coming out of the tank overflow?
A common problem is the elbow on the hot water outlet on the Combi boiler it has an aeration valve that allows air out when the boiler is filled these have a habit of sticking allowing water to flow out when the pump is running.
A new valve is about a tenner, if it is the valve you could try soaking it in hot white vinegar as it's normally a calcium build up that causes the problem.

OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
I can only see one overflow pipe under the van from in the fresh water tank area.

A common problem is the elbow on the hot water outlet on the Combi boiler it has an aeration valve that allows air out when the boiler is filled these have a habit of sticking allowing water to flow out when the pump is running.
A new valve is about a tenner, if it is the valve you could try soaking it in hot white vinegar as it's normally a calcium build up that causes the problem.

Is that the valve I've marked here?

arrove.jpg

Not on a Hymer those valves are normally only fitted to Brit vans, German vans always fit the frost control valve.

The Trauma manual says 'FrostControl (safety/drain valve – UK version optional)' but my Hymer was German market supplied then imported to the UK at 12 months old. So I must have the valve somewhere. I've run out of floor hatches to lift and obvious places to look!

Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 15.04.59.png

OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Thanks all - Another trip over to the storage yard on Tuesday to find it then!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The overflow pipe from the hot water inlet you can fold the pipe in half and clamp it with a cable tie, try it and see if that stops it.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years

What might be happening is as Lenny says above. However mine stuck shut and wouldn’t let air in, this meant that even with the valve open the water wouldn’t drain unless the pump was on as you describe.

I have a feeling on the newer models, the drains are under a hatch under the dining table where I can see you have the carpet down.

To fix my valve I just pulled it off the push fit and blew down the vent pipe which made it come free.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I would think it’s the circled expansion valve, I had to change mine (on the van of cause) because it was dripping, small valve getting stick.

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
please don't ask why, but trust me IT DOES, I've got Hymer B680 and if the voltage drops below 10 volts the boiler dump valve opens and drain's the boiler, of course if you use the hot tap after that (without resetting the dump valve) it will flow from the boiler to the outside world. I checked the Hymer manual and this is correct ?????

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
please don't ask why, but trust me IT DOES, I've got Hymer B680 and if the voltage drops below 10 volts the boiler dump valve opens and drain's the boiler, of course if you use the hot tap after that (without resetting the dump valve) it will flow from the boiler to the outside world. I checked the Hymer manual and this is correct ?????
As I said before they don't use those valves any more not for at least 10 years, the dump valves are mechanical now.

OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
I have a feeling on the newer models, the drains are under a hatch under the dining table where I can see you have the carpet down.

Ahhh ... that'll be this one then !! All reset and working now.

No idea why I didn't lift the carpet before. Doh! :banghead:
TraumaValve - 2.jpg

Thanks everyone.

TraumaValve - 1.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread