Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Derby
Funster No
MH
autocruise
Exp
3 months
We have recently bought our first motorhome - an autocriuse Star Spirit 2011.
Its fabulous but we are very concerned to find that any rain water collects on the roof. The raised seams around the edge of the roof seem to be stopping the water from draining off.
Is this normal or likely to be a problem?

Paul and Christy Ottewell

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it's normal and shouldnt present any problems providing all roof seales are in good shape....you'll soon know if they arent :Sad:.

the water will run off when driving and parking on a slope when stored will help it run off too.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
yes to both

some vans hold puddles on the roof others dont. it tends to shed as you move off

if left for months it water creeps into joints and then freezes doing damage.

move the van frequently in the winter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, I've got a starfire 2011 same problem, have tried parking on wedges it gets rid of most of water but not all. Bad design I think but most of Swifts (autocruise,sundance, Bessacar) have the same problem. Terry:Cool:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had the same problem with our Rimor and Chausson MHs, we just used to put the front up on ramps to give a good run off and didn't have a problem.:Smile:

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Same issue here (CI Carioca 656), and a defective roof seal was actually the subject of a factory recall on the 2005 model of our MH, which caused us some bother early on. We recently had a satellite dish fitted and because of where we store other items on the roof it had to be sited in the puddle. There was a leakage problem to begin with but after a second visit by the fitter it appears to have been sorted. I have to admit the presence of a puddle with a satellite dish sitting in it and a once faulty roof seal causes me some worry.

I've considered a number of things - a waterproof roof cover costs a bit, might blow off in strong winds, and would stop the solar panel from keeping the batteries topped up over winter and this would weaken them. Cutting a hole in the roof cover so most of the solar panel will work would only allow water in so that's a non-starter. I don't want to park it up on chocks to avoid straining the handbrake during time in storage, and I don't want to put the chocks down one side to angle the roof because I can't see it helping the suspension. I've considered getting something like a couple of sawn off railway sleepers and driving the front wheels up onto them using the chocks so rainwater drains off the back of the MH. I'd then be wondering if any creosote in the sleepers would damage the tyres, or if having the batteries at an angle might damage their performance.

I asked the guy who services my camper each year and he reckoned it would cost £3-400 for him to fix a roof leak if one occurred, so in the end I'm just going to have it damp checked regularly and stump up the cash if it's ever needed - everything else seems like such a faff.

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Recently at the Camper UK Summer meet, I saw a MH with a couple of pieces of white conduit piping and elbow joints, protruding from each side of the MH roof. This was for the sole purpose of draining off any rain water, from within the roof hollow, Ingenious, but crude.

Cheers,

Jock.

Upvote 0
Sep 8, 2010
Kent the white cliffs end
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur Lvx 8
Exp
Not long enough
My drive is on a bit of a slope so all of the water runs off to one corner so I just keep an eye on that:thumb:

Nev

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A puddle on your roof won't make it any less waterproof, don't worry about it. You van is best stored as level as possible. I've seen vans with permanent stoops from being left for long periods on lateral, left to right, slopes.

Upvote 0

UK Grey Nomads

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
12 Fulltiming since March 2007, 2 months NZ, 8 Months Australia.
Hi
Great fun when the water runs off the front of our Autocruise Starblazer, I switch the wipers on and soak the wife::bigsmile:, she would win a wet t shirt competition anytime:thumb:. On a serious note, check that the front scuttle "drain off" and hose is free of any any leaves, etc, the volume of water from the roof can be considerable and overflow it.

Alan & Jenny

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Paul55

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Derby
Funster No
MH
autocruise
Exp
3 months
many thanks for all your comments. Think we have decided to use the problem as the best excuse ever to get out lots during the winter. will let everyone know if we develop a leak. Will look out for this as something to avoid when buying our next MH.
Have fun,
Christy and Paul

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Not wishing to alarm you, just an anecdote of my experience of water pooling on the roof.
I've been chasing a water leak in the roof for over a year but it's an intermittent little b------d. I've had all the seams resealed, the skylights removed and resealed (they found a crack but fixing it didn't stop the problem). Thing is it only happens when the van is parked level; if it's the slightest bit nose down, no leak! We noted that water did collect under the solar panel when level so "my man", who wasn't happy with how the solar panel had been fixed (sikaflex and screws), put some more sealant around the "feet", even though that is the other side of the van to where the leak presents itself - but water will travel - ...................... RESULT, no more apparent leaks after four weeks in Ireland.
So it's now been booked in to have the solar panel removed and refixed properly, including the through-roof fixing which he also is suspicious about. At the same time he's going to remove and seal off the old satellite cable gland in case that is contributing. I've also decided to invest in some more solar power plus a decent MPPT controller/regulator while he's up there!
As it happens, my storage spot is a little nose-down although laterally level so fortunately the water hasn't up to yet caused any damage, just a perpetually damp area.

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Saw a recent MH with a length of sisal rope that ran across the MH behind his over cab hump. Wicks water away that sat at the bottom of the hump. Crude but cheap and worked!

Upvote 0
Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Mine is the opposite - if I level the van with the E&P at home water, dirt and everything else collects on the roof. If I don't level it runs off the front and the roof stays relatively clean.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2018
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Buerstner Travel Van
Exp
Not long enough!
We have recently bought our first motorhome - an autocriuse Star Spirit 2011.
Its fabulous but we are very concerned to find that any rain water collects on the roof. The raised seams around the edge of the roof seem to be stopping the water from draining off.
Is this normal or likely to be a problem?

Paul and Christy Ottewell
Had the same problem despite a distinct back to front slope - or rather because of it. The water pooled along the seam where the roof joins the cowl. After a few weeks it turned red and was really difficult to get off. No idea why but it happens in the house as well - something to do with living in farming country?
Anyway, the first solution was to park with the off-side wheels on a pair of 1/2 inch thick boards. Then it was just a matter of wiping the side of the van periodically to avoid black streaks.
The second solution was to fit self-levelling, select "stabilise" mode and then use "manual" to tip it slightly to the left. This also relieves some of the pressure on the tyres. Oh - and it's bonzer when you arrive on a site ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Think I'll start a new thread on resurrecting the oldest thread possible, here's your starter for ten (and it's been posted several times since) :LOL:

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back