Water on a fully serviced pitch (1 Viewer)

JollyJack Hawkins

Free Member
Sep 7, 2017
Bursledon
Funster No
MH
Bentley Indigo
Exp
Since April 2016
When I picked up my Bentley Indigo it came with a 7 metre hose that plugs in the side to fill it. It's a Whale connector. It is supposed to connect to a tap and you should be able to leave in connected if on a fully serviced pitch. I get it to fill the onboard water tank no problem but if I leave it connected the water tank overflows. Are you supposed to just use the onboard tank and pump and just keep topping it up?

Norfolk Nomad

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
We had the whale system on our caravan but that didn't have an onboard tank, not sure how it would work with one unless there was some means to bypass the tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JollyJack Hawkins

JollyJack Hawkins

Free Member
Sep 7, 2017
Bursledon
Funster No
MH
Bentley Indigo
Exp
Since April 2016
There is a cock which if press it down vents the boiler and system .It seems to turn but I am not sure if it bypasses the tank. Unfortunately I did not get a manual with the MH

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I think that fully serviced pitches are primarily for caravans which use an external water carrier of some sort and the tap is connected to a float valve inside the water carrier, then you draw off water from the container as normal. When the water level drops, the float moves down and lets more water in just like a water cistern. In my very limited experience, I have never seen a MH on a serviced pitch. Hopefully someone will have a solution soon.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We are on a serviced pitch now and just connect hose and fill when needed,unless you have a ball valve in your fill pipe (not very likely)you can’t leave the water turned on.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
There is a cock which if press it down vents the boiler and system .It seems to turn but I am not sure if it bypasses the tank. Unfortunately I did not get a manual with the MH
But you may be able to find one on tinternet,or Bentley forum? Worth getting one.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
It is supposed to connect to a tap and you should be able to leave in connected if on a fully serviced pitch.
It is possible to use what they seem to call 'town water supply'.

The mains water (possibly at high pressure) goes through the inlet to a regulator, to reduce it to about 1.5 bar.

Then the regulator output hose tees into the system near the tank, past the one-way valve so no water goes into the tank. You turn off the mh pump, and just open the tap like you do at home.

I was thinking of setting this up in my MH, but I'm rarely on a serviced pitch so it's a bit debatable. Especially since you can so easily fill the fresh tank with a short hose whenever you want.

It's not very likely that your MH has this system fitted, but maybe there is a 2-way valve that you have to switch over for a serviced pitch. Otherwise maybe there is an entirely separate water inlet somewhere.

The best thing about a serviced pitch, if you stay for a few weeks, is the grey waste drain.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I’m pretty sure you have a simple filler hose if it fills the tank. One permanently connected to the mains would need to go to the “pressure side” of your pump, via a separate connection which probably includes a pressure limiting valve. When connected directly, the pump would not run when water is taken off.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JollyJack Hawkins

JollyJack Hawkins

Free Member
Sep 7, 2017
Bursledon
Funster No
MH
Bentley Indigo
Exp
Since April 2016
Thanks all I think I will just stick to topping up the tank when needed. We never seem to stop more than a couple of nights and I have tended to only have A quarter to half a tank when travelling in case we get a freebie. I love this !!!

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
American campers have “City Water” connection

When I use it I move a lever from “Tank fill” to “City Water”

We can then use unlimited water, which my wife prefers for hair washing etc

Have a close look and see if you have something similar

I must admit if we are staying somewhere a few day, City Water, and connected dump for grey and black does work very well

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The on-pitch tap is really only there to save you having to lay out hoses, carrying containers or driving to a communal tap.
The original American version is different, RVs usually have both a tank filler and a city water connection which bypasses the tank completely and turns the plumbing into the same as at home.

Upvote 0

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The Whale filler on my Autosleeper fills the on-board tank and when full, cuts off the water from the service point. It never overflows. I take the precaution of turning off the tap when the tank is full so the filling hose and connectors do not stay pressurised and if it is likely to freeze, I disconnect the hose from the tap.

If I am going to Britstop, I fill my tank at home this way while prepping the van and I don't need to worry about supervising it.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back