Water not priming (1 Viewer)

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've had it running but after putting some puriclean through it I can't get it to prime, the pump is running but sounds like it's spluttering , the taps are spluttering with barely any water coming out

I'm starting to wonder if some of the crystals have blocked something , I did dissolve them in water prior to adding them

The pump is in a really awkward place under the bed

There's what looks like a screw off filter , the water tank is still full , if i unscrew that is a lot of water coming out or just a few drips

Also last picture there's a lever inside the water tank , looks like it's some sort of level indicator but it doesn't move as it fills though it does move up and down , any idea if it's anything to do with the dripping from the overflow
20200925_114930.jpg
20200925_115013.jpg
20200925_115023.jpg
20200925_112814.jpg

Pictures added, thanks

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The filter is on the inlet side so not under pressure so you should be able to remove it without too much water coming out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Taps can run for quite a while before the air is purged and they deliver a constant flow. I have to play about turning my taps on and off several times for maybe a minute or two delivering several litres, maybe 5 litres, before the air is fully purged. They then run perfectly until I inadvertently let the tank run dry when I have to repeat the song and dance.

OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
This is just spluttering , no real water coming out , when I did it before it ran, splutered, aran etc until it ran fully

slowcoach65

Free Member
Jan 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
A
My MH has a cold temp dump valve which. dumps the water in the system if the ambient temp drops below something like 6 degrees; however, it can trip accidentally and when it does, we have the same symptoms.

OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks, I've checked that , It's closed, I've dumped all the water from the tank in the hope it'd release an air lock but it's still the same

I'll take that filter off to see if it's clogged up then i'm stumped

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Try reducing the pressure adjuster, run the pump then gradually increase pressure, if you get water then spluttering its sucking air, if nothing changes either the filter is blocked or the pump is buggered.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Sucking on an open tap (I am not joking) whilst pump running can help clear the air but you nedd to check and clean the filter first and make sure it is nicely sealed.

OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Checked the filter on the pump , it had some plastic shavings in it, the sort of thing that might've been there from new but nothing else , refitted it , took it for a drive to slosh it about a bit but it's still the same, there's a constant drip from the overflow under the water tank too

Can I empty the water tank without running it through the taps

As if this isn't enough just noticed there's water on the table coming through the roof light, not much just a drip

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
There will be a drain plug on the water tank the type varies, can be a knob on top of the tank or a plug in the bottom of the tank.

OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just spoke to a mobile service guy. Fully booked until end October so it's looking like we're going nowhere next weekend

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Just spoke to a mobile service guy. Fully booked until end October so it's looking like we're going nowhere next weekend
I’d keep fiddling.
Have you tried one tap at a time,starting furthest away from pump?
You could buy a new pump and fit it yourself. I got one from internet a couple of years ago to keep as a spare,you could use it as that if the current one is actually ok.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Put a tap on full and let it splutter a while. I recon it's probably still filling the pipes and water heater.

OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've really got no idea what's going on , I managed to get it flowing through the cold tap, left it for a bit, turned it to the hot and back to spluttering , it can't be taking this long to fill up , it's been over an hour of it

last time it cleared in a few minutes , spoke to the engineer who was quite helpful suggesting the slightest crack in the pump housing ir filter can cause it to do this, but he can't look at it until october 30

I dare say everywhere will be the same now the world and his wife own a caravan or a motorhome

I think the lever in the tank mught be the release for emptying it but the drip doesn't get any quicker no matter where it is , up or down

I think I'm going to have to find someone who knows what they're doing , just emptied the grey waste tank which is only water but it does have quite a lot of debris in it so I'm wondering if the puriclean has dislodged something and blocked a pipe

I should've listened to my dad, if it ain't broke don't fix it

OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
I think the constant drip from the tank overflow is something to do with it

There is a coke bottle shaped tank next to the pump

The tank looks really shallow , I can't see any of it underneath so it must be in a void between the floor and the base that's fixed to the fiat chassis

OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
It was bought from a dealer june 19 , the guy that owned it only did 300 miles in it , 3 x 50 mile day trips then it was parked up , i bought it from him 3 weeks ago

He didn't really use it as a motorhome

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
There is a coke bottle shaped tank next to the pump
If it is inlne with the water outlet from the pump it is probably an accumulator to stop the water pulsing some types need pumping up to the correct pressure with a bike pump.
You could try bypassing it.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It looks like you are new so when you turn on pump have a look under van to make sure you are not dumping water on the floor

Last edited:
OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Sucking on an open tap (I am not joking) whilst pump running can help clear the air but you nedd to check and clean the filter first and make sure it is nicely sealed.
j

Winner winner chicken dinner

More spluttering so I followed the advice given above and it's started flowing , seems OK now , I have ffilled the water tank right to the brim but that overflow underneath is dripping a llot so ill have to see if there's any water left in it in the morning

thanks to everyone for the advice
20200925_184208.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
j

Winner winner chicken dinner

More spluttering so I followed the advice given above and it's started flowing , seems OK now , I have ffilled the water tank right to the brim but that overflow underneath is dripping a llot so ill have to see if there's any water left in it in the morning

thanks to everyone for the advice View attachment 427917
Are you sure that is not the tank drain check to see if there is a plug inside the tank.

OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
In the first post, last picture you can see a white lever on the left inside the tank, at first I thought it was some kind of float but it doesn't alter with the level of the water so it must be a tank drain, only the flow is the same whichever position it's in , up or down , just a constant drip so I'm not sure

I've put a bucket under the drip to see if it stops , if the bucket is overflowing tomorrow I'll have to see if I can see why

OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Bucket full

It's leaking from that lever inside the tank , i can see what looks like a rubber grommet with the white lever in the middle of it, probably because it's been left dry for over a year
Brilliant

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Well done.
I find it very satisfying when these sorts of (mystifying) issues are sorted.
Over many years I've developed intimate relations with the function and internals of all the equipment on my m/h which is a confidence builder for travels far and wide.
These forums are invaluable for passing on the knowledge, especially when workshops are distant or have long waiting lists.

OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Still got a leaky roof light and a dripping fresh water tank to sort out

Though if I rig up a huge funnel under the roof light and direct the pipe into the tank they'll sort each other out.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Though if I rig up a huge funnel under the roof light and direct the pipe into the tank they'll sort each other out.
Excellent! A bodger in my style.
I had a series of drips from inside my Victorian slate roof so as a temporary measure I installed a length of guttering along the attic rafters to catch the drips with a downpipe to the open top cold water storage tank. It lasted 20+ years until I had the roof felted and retiled.

OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
I used to have a neighbour who did no home maintenence whatsoever

His attic tank overflow started running constantly out of the eaves overflowpipe, stuck ball valve I guess , £10 part

I saw him up a ladder outside looking at it , inside is where you need to be dipshit

But no , his solution was a length of hosepipe directed into the drain , it was like that until I moved out 6 months later

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back