Water leak - am I missing something? (1 Viewer)

KMarkN

Free Member
Jul 29, 2020
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 RedlineSport
Exp
Moved from PVC to campervan
Hi. I wonder if any experienced motorhomers can see what I’m missing. We’re on our second trip in our Elddis CV60 pvc and loving it so far. But this morning we noticed water seepage from under the bathroom floor/shower tray under the door and into the main area. Not huge quantities. It seems to follow the bathroom sink being drained, but hard to pinpoint. It rained all last night so roof vents were all closed. The shower tray seems to be flat to the floor so I can’t believe there are pipes beneath?

Is it some sort of plumbing problem for dealer to sort or could I have something simple going on here? Could a block to grey water drainage cause some sort of back up/overflow? I’ve drained it and it seemed slow but struggling to believe it’s that.

A second question if I may? I notice the water pump comes in in the night, very short bursts of a couple of seconds, maybe hourly. Is this a malfunction, or is it keeping the pressure up?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
Water pump is probably just equalising the pressure. We had a similar leak in our previous Burstner, turned out it was the waste pipework that had not been properly clicked into place, dealer sorted it out.

Upvote 0
Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Water pump is keeping pressure BUT it shouldn't be much more than rarely not regularly

Have you been under the van or do you have a double floor try and trace the pipework sounds like you MAY have a leaking pipe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
KMarkN

KMarkN

Free Member
Jul 29, 2020
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 RedlineSport
Exp
Hi thanks for your speedy responses. Re pump at night thanks I thought it might be that. I take your point about worrying if it comes in too often tho I’ll keep an ear out now.

As far as I can see the two sinks and shower drain each drains separately into the undertaking waste water tank. Not sure re double floor I don’t think pvcs have those?

One idea, which could be daft, is that the bathroom tap, which is also the shower head ( it pulls out for showering) is dribbling back along the nose and ending up on the floor.. Not sure if this is feasible but I’m testing that now.
Thanks again
Mark

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We had our pump kicking in regularly years ago, traced to a frost damaged union under the shower mixer. Fixed with araldite eventually.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the waste pipes are just push fit, so easily dislodged. I know it sounds gross, but is harmless, stick a finger in the water on the floor. Sniff it for soap or other contaminants. If it smells clean, touch it to your tongue. The quickest and most accurate way to diagnose the culprit

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
a water pump kicking in indicates a loss of pressure, maybe just a tiny weeping joint

Upvote 0
OP
OP
KMarkN

KMarkN

Free Member
Jul 29, 2020
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 RedlineSport
Exp
Thanks again all. Lots to look at, probably when I get home in Saturday. Tasting the water is actually a very good idea(y)

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Make sure there’s nothing resting on the hot water boiler dump valve.
This happened to us, the pump came on intermittently, it turned out to be the jump leads had jumped on top of the switch.

Upvote 0
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
No advice from me, just noticed the beautiful Border Collie.
20200522_123124.jpg

Upvote 0
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Different motorhome but after draining my sink it also seeped out in to the living area. My sink drain goes down in to the floor and can be accessed (just) from the toilet cassette locker. There was a split in a plastic joining sleeve and the water was coming out there and running along the floor.

You need to trace your waste pipe from the sink and see what you can find.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
When home and floor is dry, pour buckets of water into the shower tray, or basin whist your water pump is off and pressure removed from system. Then see if you get the water showing.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I’d be very concerned about the fact your water pump keeps kicking in. That indicates to me a possible leak.
I had this it I thought it was just the pump but it was a small leak on a pipe it carried on for weeks and then got worse until the leak became obvious.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
KMarkN

KMarkN

Free Member
Jul 29, 2020
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 RedlineSport
Exp
Many thanks Monzer and LandyAndy I’ll follow both suggestions up.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Check the back of the shower mixer tap if you can see it. Mine sprung a leak for no apparent reason.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Not sure about the leak but our water pump kicks in as the water heater cools down.
After a bad leak during the night on our last van I turn the pump of before going to bed. Soggy carpets in the morning is not nice.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
Different van but had a leak coming into my shower tray last year. Very perplexed as to source. Eventually traced to pipe above the toilet cassette dripping down the outside of the cassette and onto the internal wall of the shower tray. If the flow from the leak was a few more mm off it would have gone under the tray and it would have eventually caused some serious issues. I was lucky that I kept noticing the shower tray was always slightly damp. Check your cassette area - my pipe was being "disturbed" each time the cassette was being removed.

Upvote 0
Jan 9, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
tribute T615
Exp
Since late 2015
I also have this issue of the water pump tripping in at night but never during the day. Is this just that it is more noticeable at night or could it be that as the van cools down overnight, it causes a slight pressure drop in the water system, thus triggering the pump?

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Often it is due to the water cooling so pressure drops and pump may kick in, but this is only going to happen if it is cold and the pump would kick in very very rarely may once in the night. If the pump is kicking in every couple of hours you potentially have an issue. That would be my view.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I also have this issue of the water pump tripping in at night but never during the day. Is this just that it is more noticeable at night or could it be that as the van cools down overnight, it causes a slight pressure drop in the water system, thus triggering the pump?
physics says that cold water is denser than hot water. Water expands as it warms up, so conversely shrinks as it cools, so reducing pressure in the pipework marginally. One or maybe two pulses of the pump in the night are ok, but more than a 2 second pulse or more of them indidcates a leak

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Almost certainly a water leak causing drop in pressure and the pump kicks in. If it was a leak on the drainage side of anything it would not cause the pump to kick in. I have an intermittent leak that only occurs when the pipe and fitting get hot. It's the hot feed to the shower tap. I'm waiting on a new fitting coming. I reckon it happens as the fitting and pipe become hot and soften.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
KMarkN

KMarkN

Free Member
Jul 29, 2020
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 RedlineSport
Exp
Ok here is my best theory re cause of water on floor. Having explored there are actually few ways that water can get beneath the shower tray. I think that the heavy rain we had, had run down the outside of the van and into the cassette compartment, and then under bathroom floor. Each time we used the bathroom, and sink, we walked on the tray and massaged water out into van.
I need to test the door seal when it’s dry but it’s very possible I didn’t fully click shut the non-lockable catch on the door.
I thought of this because I had noticed a tiny dribble of water beneath the flush button (pic attached) earlier, so I took the panel off and there are only electrics behind so it must have been water ingress that splashed up behind this panel?
The last bit of evidence is that since it’s stopped raining and dried up, I can’t make the leak happen again!
So, hopefully but not definitely, problem solved. Thanks all for your really helpful advice and insights. I’ll keep an eye on the pump issue now

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I try to remember to switch the pump off at night, and when we are out for the day, after I had the leak. If there was a leak and we had gone out for the day, the leak would keep going until the tank ran out. I don't always manage to remember but I do try

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
My problem of pump kicking in when it felt like it was not due to a water leak, but an air leak from a crack in the filter housing lid on the pump. New lid no problem.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back