Water inlet pressure valve ...... (1 Viewer)

Willy Bippet

Free Member
Sep 4, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
...... may NOT be the thing I want to ask about, but it sounded good!

My Autocruise Starburst has a hose to fill the fresh water tank, that has a valve of some kind on the MH end. It plugs into a Crystal type connecttion with 2 plastic swivel keys to prevent it's being dislodged.

I have used the MH twice (bought recently, and my first MH after being a caravanner) on consecutive weekends. The first weekend I connected up, went to see the control panel and scrolled down to the water status, and sure enough it went from 0% to 25%, then eventually to 50% and 75% at which stage I turned off the tap and disconnected. I emptied the tank on returning to my storage site.

The second weekend - last Saturday - I followed exactly the same procedure, and 0% to 25% took about 6-7 minutes, then it seemingly stopped filling. I couldn't hear any water going in, yet the panel was stuck on 25%. I carried on to my destination and didn't use enough water to empty the tank - in fact it still says 25% full - although to be fair I was quite frugal with it, as I couldn't be sure just how much I had (and I tend to be wilding a lot with no water supply)

I can connect an external pump which works from say an Aqua-roll - I tested this with a borrowed one from a caravanner. So that presumably just needs to test out this valve thingy ........ somehow! Or get a replacement if anyone knows where they are sold.

Any ideas Funsters?

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
it may have a ball valve inside the tank that stops the flow to prevent overfilling when permanently connected to a water supply.

if it also has just a normal filler on the side of the van i would use that with just a normal filling hose.

OP
OP
Willy Bippet

Willy Bippet

Free Member
Sep 4, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
it may have a ball valve inside the tank that stops the flow to prevent overfilling when permanently connected to a water supply.

if it also has just a normal filler on the side of the van i would use that with just a normal filling hose.

Unfortunately Aba it doesn't - such is progress eh? :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
My Starspirit is the same. I let the tap fill until it overflows (water pours out from tank overflow underneath van). The water gauge can be affected by not being level. As far as I know there isn't a pressure valve of any kind in the Crystal connector. The gauges are notoriously inaccurate.

I bought mine from Link Broken unfortunately they're out of stock at the moment.

You can also check/fill the tank contents by lifting the carpet, inspection hatch then removing the "screw in" panel on top of the tank.

Last edited:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
is the tank inside the van or underneath??
if its under the van is there any sign of an access hole above the tank? if so see if you can look into the tank and find out what is in there.

if there is no access into the top of the tank then it looks like it may be a crawl around under the van (if able to do so as i know some members would never be able to get up once down there ) and see if there is a way to find the end of the filler and see what is causing the tank not to fill.

OP
OP
Willy Bippet

Willy Bippet

Free Member
Sep 4, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks both.

It's an inboard tank - and correct about the crawling around underneath - 1) I wouldn't fit 2) wouldn't be able to get up again!

The Crystal adapter that Taran showed, is fitted to my filler hose, but with a blue boxy looking device between it and the hose - the previous owner described it as a pressure valve to prevent the tap water pressure from overcoming the push fit into the filler inlet. As there is an electrical connection, I assume that the valve therefore opens only when the power is on - certainly nothing comes out when it is NOT connected to the filler inlet.

As for the reading on the control panel - certainly the MH is not level at the standpipe point, but the readings worked correctly the previous weekend in the same spot!

I really don't fancy taking up carpets etc to fill her up, so if it hasn't sorted itself out when I try again next Saturday, I'm going to buy one of those flexy bucket things from B&Q and fill it using the external pump!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I am surprised nobody has yet told you level indicaters are just that and do not work :Eeek:Just fill tank until no more then use you will soon learn the noise when almost empty
terry

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
My Starspirit is the same. I let the tap fill until it overflows (water pours out from tank overflow underneath van). The water gauge can be affected by not being level. As far as I know there isn't a pressure valve of any kind in the Crystal connector. [HI]The gauges are notoriously inaccurate.[/HI]

I bought mine from Link Broken unfortunately they're out of stock at the moment.

You can also check/fill the tank contents by lifting the carpet, inspection hatch then removing the "screw in" panel on top of the tank.

I did.:winky:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Willy Bippet

Willy Bippet

Free Member
Sep 4, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

You did Taran - thanks ;)

Trouble is that mine stopped taking water in - NOTHING was coming out of the overflow.

I'm going to try again at the weekend, but I KNOW that the external pump dangling into a bucket will work, so at least I'll be able to use until I can figure out what's wrong!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back