Water ingress (1 Viewer)

Oct 26, 2016
kent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 810G
Exp
since 2003
Hello all, We have a Burstner elegance 810G 2015 our problem is the last time we were away I went to the gas locker to open the gas valve and noticed a lot of water in the locker,I pored some water over the locker door to see if it was coming in that way but seems ok? the only thing I noticed was the propane gas cylinder was very wet due to condensation,has anyone else had this sort of problem and how can I solve it?.

help Joe

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Hello all, We have a Burstner elegance 810G 2015 our problem is the last time we were away I went to the gas locker to open the gas valve and noticed a lot of water in the locker,I pored some water over the locker door to see if it was coming in that way but seems ok? the only thing I noticed was the propane gas cylinder was very wet due to condensation,has anyone else had this sort of problem and how can I solve it?.

help Joe
Think you will find that the water is condensation.most gas bottles seem to susceptible to condensation due to the very nature of liquid turning to gas ...don't know the technical term for it.. However you should have an air hole or grid in the bottom of the locker to let escaped gas and condensation out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As you evaporate the liquid to gas the bottle will get cold and you will get condensation, if the locker lined in plastic, if yes I wouldn't worry too much as it should be well vented as well.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Think you will find that the water is condensation.most gas bottles seem to susceptible to condensation due to the very nature of liquid turning to gas ...don't know the technical term for it.. However you should have an air hole or grid in the bottom of the locker to let escaped gas and condensation out.
You beat me to it, latent heat of vaporisation is what they are thinking of I believe.

Martin

OP
OP
J
Oct 26, 2016
kent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 810G
Exp
since 2003
Thank you all for your comments I will investigate further.

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
"A lot of water"?

Hmm. I could see that condensation on the bottles whilst in-use could dribble down to the locker floor but surely only a tablespoonful or two?

I don't get any condensation from the bottles in the gas locker at all but maybe I don't use the van when conditions are optimum for producing it. On a skiing trip perhaps?

I would find myself checking the gas drop out vent to see if it was protected against spray thrown up from the front(?) wheels.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
If you found a lot of water in the locker then I would not think it was due to condensation on the gas bottle - depends how you define "a lot" I guess

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My new van ALWAYS has water under the rubber mat in the garage, it is not condensation as it is heated but proper leaked water through the door seals, but I cannot see where it is coming in. If I wash it I get a load and I do not use a hose or pressure washer on the doors. It is all Glass fibre garage and fully insulated. I have to soak it up with a sponge, any ideas???

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
GwayGway, I had a water ingress problem through the locker door seals and no matter how hard I tried, a water jet from a hose couldn't penetrate. Turned out to be coming from the van underside body seams in heavy rain and was cured by more underseal in the right place.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My new van ALWAYS has water under the rubber mat in the garage, it is not condensation as it is heated but proper leaked water through the door seals, but I cannot see where it is coming in. If I wash it I get a load and I do not use a hose or pressure washer on the doors. It is all Glass fibre garage and fully insulated. I have to soak it up with a sponge, any ideas???
I had bit in my garage on the side that faces the weather when sitting on the drive. Only happened in very heavy downpours with exceptionally high winds. Local dealer replaced the seal, only happened once since in a torrential downpour with 60 mph wind.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Interesting problem, I too "thought" I had a bad leak in the garage of Millie, including a load of water under the rubber matting. I was really cursing Hymer and their supposed build quality.

However, it turned out that the water was actually escaping from my water filling hose which I keep in the garage. What was happening was that after use, there was still water within the hose, and this was escaping while driving along and in effect flooding the garage.

I now blow through the hose after use, and my "leak" has disappeared completely.

Just a thought!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back