Water Ingress into Motorhome walls (1 Viewer)

C

Carri2

Deleted User
Took our Coachbuilt for its first habitation service last month at about 6,500 miles and a week or two shy of its third birthday to be told it had water ingress in FIVE places.

Was told that it wasn't covered by the three year warranty, because it hadn't had any previous habitation servicing. When I asked where the written instruction was that it needed annual checks the dealer responded 'Everyone knows it needs annual checks' !!

I know a habitation check is a good idea and should be carried out on a regular basis but as we hadn't clogged up loads of miles due to our style of localised visiting, thought that every three years would suffice. And after all there are no moving parts involved especially in the coachwork.

Has anyone else been caught by this ? Did you pay up (guideline cost is just short of £1000 inc vat) or did you go to trading standards and claim the vehicle was not of merchantable quality on day one. Apparently you can argue that for up to 6 years, but the supplier can argue back that the annual checks that you are not told about have not been done.

Any other thoughts for me to think about. I'm taking it for a further quote at an independant repair shop next week and then make up my mind about fight or pay.

Carri 2

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:Eeek: just my thoughts on this-if they did not give you habitation checks info in writing then how are you susposed to know?What m/h is it? I would reject it under the sale of goods thingy! Although this may well proove easier to say than do :cry: get onto CAB pronto:thumb: especialy as it is still under warrenty
terry

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
The need for an annual habitation check to maintain the warranty is mentioned in the paperwork we received with our Bessie. (In the handbook, if I recall correctly) Check yours before you decide on any action

When we traded in our previous one (Explorer Group) the dealer found some damp around the window area ... it was one year old!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I would be very surprised if there was no mention of it in the warranty documents.
Despite the annual service charge of £220 for the caravan I think it's worth every penny.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Right then reading this,dealer may have a point:Angry: does it have to be carried out by the dealer or independent ? you are taking it to independent for estimate? yes? there is always more than one way to skin a cat:thumb:
On a practical side where is water getting in? & how bad is the damp ? anything visable ? or just showing on a damp meter? any pics then we may be able to give remidy advise
terry

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
All vehicle dealers are the same!
They are always looking for a way to shaft you!
Personally i would name and shame them and if you know what your doing on the internet you can manipulate search engines so the first thing future buyers see is your comments!
You can't beat a good bit of digital blackmail!
I would also use a mass mailer and jam their internet sytem with about 2 billion emails!
I have done this a few times and had some fantastic results!

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
QUOTE]

They might be up your neck of the woods but not at Robertsbridge !
To be honest!
After reading your reply to a former post i would have to agree!
I can't remember the exact post but you were very good for a dealer!
I did have my doubts about you but i will admit you proved me wrong until the post where someone was coming into money and you were straight on the ball saying come see my people and we will help you spend it!
This group has become a powerfull media in the motorhome trade so any good businessman will grease the wheels knowing the monopoly to be gained!
I was brought up in the motor trade!
Dealers don't make money out of being honest Johns!
You can fool the rest but you wont fool me!

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
To be honest!
After reading your reply to a former post i would have to agree!
I can't remember the exact post but you were very good for a dealer!
I did have my doubts about you but i will admit you proved me wrong until the post where someone was coming into money and you were straight on the ball saying come see my people and we will help you spend it!
This group has become a powerfull media in the motorhome trade so any good businessman will grease the wheels knowing the monopoly to be gained!
I was brought up in the motor trade!
Dealers don't make money out of being honest Johns!
You can fool the rest but you wont fool me!

I don't have to fool anyone, you get whats on the tin, and as to saying to someone who has money to come and spend it with us, why not, no point in saying it to some one who only has dreams and no money.

Only way they will fulfill their dream is to strap them up with finance they cannot afford and that is not my scene.

My business thrives on repeat customers and they dont come back if they dont get whats on the tin.

Best publicity is word of mouth.

Happy Digging Digga

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I don't have to fool anyone, you get whats on the tin, and as to saying to someone who has money to come and spend it with us, why not, no point in saying it to some one who only has dreams and no money.

Only way they will fulfill their dream is to strap them up with finance they cannot afford and that is not my scene.

My business thrives on repeat customers and they dont come back if they dont get whats on the tin.

Best publicity is word of mouth.

Happy Digging Digga

If you truly are what you say then i appollogise but i will remain sceptic for a little while longer untill i'm convinced!

OP
OP
C

Carri2

Deleted User
Thanks for all the input. There is no sign of damp i.e. any staining or moisture so I assume they found it with a damp meter. Therefore I can't take any photo's.

This van has already been back to the Makers British HQ for repairs to a deafening squeak in the low profile 'cap' which is one of the alleged ingress sites. It had to be trucked home from Wales due to the caravan body trapping lighting cables, which rubbed through against the chassis. Ironically we bought this van because it had one piece sides, rather than our previous one which had a joint down both sides at roughly half way and which didn't appear to have any damp.

Will resist the temptation to name and shame until after the independant check, when I hope to be able to flesh this out a bit more.

Carri2

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Carri2, why not try going back to the HQ ? ::bigsmile: or are you arming up for the battle:thumb::ROFLMAO:
terry

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Personally i would name and shame them and if you know what your doing on the internet you can manipulate search engines so the first thing future buyers see is your comments!
You can't beat a good bit of digital blackmail!
I would also use a mass mailer and jam their internet sytem with about 2 billion emails!
I have done this a few times and had some fantastic results!

Digger,
You are so wrong on so many statements, it's difficult to know where to start. Are they deliberately provocative? If not, why do you persist with these ludicrous generalisations? We are all know there are some inept dealerships out there but there are also some superb ones as well.
re your comments about digital blackmail and spamming It wasn't you conducting a DoS attack on Fun was it?

OP
OP
C

Carri2

Deleted User
Hi Carri2, why not try going back to the HQ ? ::bigsmile: or are you arming up for the battle:thumb::ROFLMAO:
terry

Might try that, they didn't respond to an email asking where they say annual habitation checks are a neccesity !! So doesn't look that good.

Carri2

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO: We will hve to wait for the name & shame of both manufactuer & dealer then :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi, I know it is of no consolation but I myself have been in this very same sittuation. One of my garage doors was incorrectly fitted which allowed water to ingress in to the rear locker causing damp.
The interior wallboard of the garage door needed replacing, as well as part of the back wall.
I contacted the dealer whom did not even reply to the numerous emails and leter I sent asking for assistance (shame on you glossop caravans). I therefore contacted CI head office in Grimsby (yes there is such a place) and they asked about my habitation check. I informed them that I had missed one and they said basically sorry tough, but were very polite in doing so. A local dealer wanted about £690 to put right. I spoke again with CI whom said that due to the van only being 3 years old they would try and help but didn't. I did not expect them too to be honest. I then contacted olearys motorhomes whom matched up some wallboard, via pictures via email, gave me some advice on how to fix it and I done it myself, for a measly £35. I know it is not as a pro job as perhaps a dealer would do but hey ho Ive no intention of selling my van for a long while and for the past 2 1/2 years its been as good as. I now have a damp meter that I use at least once per month just to check things out.

My advice would be as follows- Don't do a thing untill you have approached another dealer for a second opinion, try and use someone reccomended or someone you know you can trust. SImply ask them for a damp test. Alternately if you wanna be really naughty, approach one and say you want to exchange your van, ask for a price for yours, they will come and look over it and give it a quick go over with a damp meter themselves result is free damp check.
When another dealer has had a look at it, get them to quote you for a repair.
Damp in the motorhome/caravan community is a very bad word, many think it's the be all and end all, but its not, you may even be able to have a more simple repair carried out dependent on the level of damp, water ingress.

One thing for sure is that manufacuters along with some dealers really need to get there acts togther. 3 years old is way to early to be even thinking of water ingress on our expensively made vechiles.

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Damp

Hi Carri2.

To go back to your problem, damp.

Have you conciderd that the problem could be condensation. Our form of pleasure involves that we live in very confined spaces were we boil kettles, cook food, have showers, and breath and in cool weather are inclined to keep the doors and windows closed. Warm air holds moisture and WILL condence in an areas were the inside surfaces could be cooler , ie- corners of the van sides were they meet the ceiling, under or around windows and doors ect. If there is no evidence of water ingress could I sugest that you concider the possibility of damp from this source. Put a good dehuwmidifier in side the van and leave it running untill the volume of water extracted is reduced. could take 3 / 4 days and nights or posible longer, and then keep it well vented.
Hope this might help
Pudseykeith :Smile:

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
Carri 2
Sorry to read about your unfortunate problem. Do so hope you do not have any warranty documentation which states vehicle requires yearly Habitation check but very much doubt it. The main reason for yearly is to catch it before it spreads no doubt.
If it is any consolation certainly my Dealer who sold the vehicle stated that if they did not do the servicing they would not abide by any warranty work. Still did not take it to them and will see if I have any problems, hope you get sorted. On another note do not agree with slagging off dealers if you have had nothing to do with them. Appearing on any forum is very brave.:thumb:

S

stagman

Deleted User
[I would take the habitation check with a pinch of salt.When my mate bought his van from a large dealer,they said before he could receive the van it would have to have a habitation check.I told him to ask them for the certificate.they said that they keep them.Over the next couple of months several faults cropped up,electrical,plumping,fridge,seals etc etc all which would have been picked up.In my opinion these people carrying out these checks may have certificates but do not have a vast amount of experience and therefore there is no way I would take my van round to a motorhome dealer for a habitation check.Call in your local Electrical Engineer or your Corgi Registered Heating Engineer.

OP
OP
C

Carri2

Deleted User
I took the wet van to an independant motorhome/caravan engineer yesterday who is adamant that the vehicle should not have left the factory,should not have passed pdi and when told it had been back to Grimsby for bodywork repairs early in it's life thought they should have noticed the problem or possibly did notice one area of concern and splattered it in mastic.

So it's legal action now. I guess that means I can't name the manufacturer or dealer but I will keep updating the site with anything major that happens and the final result.

Could be worse, we could have bought from the extremely helpful !!!! Brownhills but they were not talking the day we went there semi-interested in changing.

Carri 2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back