Free Member
Jan 2, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
4 years
We have a problem with our Elddis motorhome that is 1 month out of warranty with the Peugeot base vehicle. The gutter under the windshield (or maybe even the windshield edging strip) has distorted for about 15cm, allowing rain water to run behind it. Also the gutter appears to have a join at the mid-point with a connecting strip, and that is leaking as well. We had some torrential rain here in Greece, where we are for the winter, and couldn't start the engine. It fired and then died. We ruled out water in the fuel as we had been driving around for four day post refuelling. The engine was very wet and we could see water dripping from the gutter onto the cover plate. The gutter itself was full, but with no obvious blockage. We waited for a dry spell the next day and gaffer taped the leaking areas, by which time the gutter was dry. We've checked the fusebox inside the cab and that is dry. What could the problem be?.

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
Maybe the water is in the electrics. I would leave the bonnet open to let things dry out.

That's if your on a campsite.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
The scuttle, or gutter as you describe it, is a well known weak point for water ingress into the engine bay on all X250 type Sevel clone vehicles.

Modifications have been made by some Funsters & are well documented on this forum.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/x250-scuttle-drain-improvisation.101566/

or type scuttle in the search box, 10 pages of related threads.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
It sounds as if there is water or moisture penetration within one of the primary electrical systems; the ignition system or the power control module/ecu harness may be the likely candidates.

Do you have a picture of your engine bay and a point where the main water flow is passing through the lower screen.

What happens when you turn the key ready to start - any dash lights. If there are then can you detect a short whirring noise down below ( the fuel pump priming).

All the best,

Andrew

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
A warning to everyone give your vehicle a thorough check before end of warranty.

Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
If you have any WD40 give it a blast where he water has got to. It might disperse the moisture in hard to access areas.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
There is a fuse and relay box on the RHS looking into the bonnet from the front (drivers nearside), it is right below the scuttle and water getting in there was a known issue on early vans.
Yours must be a one off the scuttle problems were on early X250's I assume yours is an X290.

Reactions: f6c

Doug Reme

Free Member
Sep 16, 2017
Funster No
Fiat should have a drain hole in each corner they will become block.they should have a thin drain tube under the bonnet this can pinch and blocked. Clean out with thin screwdriver.
Best of luck
Doug

Musicboy

Free Member
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7096+
Exp
fulltiming since 2003
I had similar. Water dripping onto the plastic manifold cover ...
It was the trim against the bottom of windscreen not quite sealing ...,
I moved the top trim away to get a nozzle in of sealant & applied a narrow line along the full width . Job done .
Also ...maybe not applicable to yre scenario but water could be due to the pipes/ connections feeding water to the washer nozzles .near & tear... cheers

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
They are not the easiest of drain holes to get at. I remember trying to find the one that is buried under the wiper blade arm. Easier to just take the arms off and you can get to the holes. Not the best design in the world you just have to keep an eye on them and make sure you clean them out on a regular basis.

Have a word with your Peugeot Dealer they maybe able to get it done under warranty even though it's just outside the time.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
The drain holes and pipes are too small we drilled ours out and fitted a 3/4" fitting and tube which we routed to drain below the engine.
Just a flush with the hose pipe keeps them clear.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My old transit base would leak water onto the flat topped head immersing the electric injectors in water. I made an alloy shield and deflector to allow the water flooding in to run down the other side. Those injectors would be rusted in an defective very quickly if I hadn’t done it.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
They are not the easiest of drain holes to get at. I remember trying to find the one that is buried under the wiper blade arm. Easier to just take the arms off and you can get to the holes. Not the best design in the world you just have to keep an eye on them and make sure you clean them out on a regular basis.

Have a word with your Peugeot Dealer they maybe able to get it done under warranty even though it's just outside the time.

And mention the Consumer Rights Act which may give you rights over and above the warranty!

OP
OP
Janiemou

Janiemou

Free Member
Jan 2, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
4 years
It sounds as if there is water or moisture penetration within one of the primary electrical systems; the ignition system or the power control module/ecu harness may be the likely candidates.

Do you have a picture of your engine bay and a point where the main water flow is passing through the lower screen.

What happens when you turn the key ready to start - any dash lights. If there are then can you detect a short whirring noise down below ( the fuel pump priming).

All the best,

Andrew
Hi Andrew, we have sealed the shuttle where it meets the windscreen, and the middle join as best we can. The drain is clear and it appears to be drying despite the persistent heavy rain we are having. It is making more of an effort to start, but no more than a few seconds. We will go to the nearest motor electrician on Monday and see if he can come and do something. Here are a couple of photos of the engine bay, with the yellow tape over the leaking areas. It is annoying because we were in the garage at the end of September for warranty work to be done. Someone suggested an OBD11
005.JPG
006.JPG
005.JPG
might help, we have no experience with it. We have no warning lights showing, any thoughts

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi J,

If it's turning over but not firing then I'm assuming at this stage that the problem is with the final fuel delivery i.e. an injector(s) or the injector harness but either way it sounds electrical.

There are a few alternatives like air in the fuel line; low fuel pressure irregularities and water in the fuel line as a consequence of severe condensation in the tank but I doubt that these will be applicable. I still think it's an electrical problem.

I'm really sorry to say but I can only suggest the faults at this stage so I hope that your mechanic gets a chance to see it soon.

That said, your battery may soon be running out of steam soon so one option would be to attempt a jump start from a second vehicle to ensure that the maximum cold cranking amps possible is available on start-up. It's worth a try.

Tell me how you get on.

Best wishes,

Andrew

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Only just noticed the thread so excuse me if has already been mentioned but I had same problem with mine did extra drains and "glued "scuttle to w/screen .Also be sure to keep d/side drain by w/screen wiper free as it will fill and seize the wiper spindle (I know !).I spray spindle regularly with lubricant.Also another mod I did was to stick a piece of DPC inside air vent to extend it further inside (when bonnet closes) to drain instead of leaking where it joins when bonnet closes.

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Hi J,

If it's turning over but not firing then I'm assuming at this stage that the problem is with the final fuel delivery i.e. an injector(s) or the injector harness but either way it sounds electrical.

There are a few alternatives like air in the fuel line; low fuel pressure irregularities and water in the fuel line as a consequence of severe condensation in the tank but I doubt that these will be applicable. I still think it's an electrical problem.

I'm really sorry to say but I can only suggest the faults at this stage so I hope that your mechanic gets a chance to see it soon.

That said, your battery may soon be running out of steam soon so one option would be to attempt a jump start from a second vehicle to ensure that the maximum cold cranking amps possible is available on start-up. It's worth a try.

Tell me how you get on.

Best wishes,

Andrew
Fixed my bad starting with a new starter motor-whizzes over much quicker now.

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Hi Andrew, we have sealed the shuttle where it meets the windscreen, and the middle join as best we can. The drain is clear and it appears to be drying despite the persistent heavy rain we are having. It is making more of an effort to start, but no more than a few seconds. We will go to the nearest motor electrician on Monday and see if he can come and do something. Here are a couple of photos of the engine bay, with the yellow tape over the leaking areas. It is annoying because we were in the garage at the end of September for warranty work to be done. Someone suggested an OBD11View attachment 196780 View attachment 196781 View attachment 196780 might help, we have no experience with it. We have no warning lights showing, any thoughts
I keep a piece of curtain wire in my door pocket the wire type thats coated white plastic, to clear the drains. Also stop your wipers at the top to make it easy to see the drains and to clear.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
My old transit base would leak water onto the flat topped head immersing the electric injectors in water. I made an alloy shield and deflector to allow the water flooding in to run down the other side. Those injectors would be rusted in an defective very quickly if I hadn’t done it.

That might have stopped the thieves in their tracks! :)

OP
OP
Janiemou

Janiemou

Free Member
Jan 2, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
4 years
OK, thanks for all the suggestions, they have been very helpful. The engine is now working and we have booked it into Peugeot in Corfu to give it a check over. I know this will sound stupid, but is it normal to expect a lot of rain water to get into the engine compartment, and should we maybe think about getting the skuttle replaced?

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
I used sealant on the scuttle, fitted an extra drain to it and also bought a plastic drain from peugeot to protect the cam belt, all stays dry now for about £20 in very cold weather in is not unknown for water to freeze on the cam gear and snap the belt, well worth getting the scoop to prevent this.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back