Free Member
Feb 26, 2008
Sunny Croydon.
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
nearly a year.
As the title says, is this common on Fiat vans ? noticed on a few occasions when I've gone to check oil and water. looks like rain water is dribbling in from the bonnet and collecting around the injectors is it liable to cause any future problems ??
Is their a plate /cover missing I was wondering ? in the attached picture a couple of unused captive inserts seem to be sitting unused, or are they all like it. :thumb:

Pete.

Attachments

• engine bay..jpg
    engine bay..jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
As the title says, is this common on Fiat vans ? noticed on a few occasions when I've gone to check oil and water. looks like rain water is dribbling in from the bonnet and collecting around the injectors is it liable to cause any future problems ??
Is their a plate /cover missing I was wondering ? in the attached picture a couple of unused captive inserts seem to be sitting unused, or are they all like it. :thumb:

Pete.

Hi Pete

If you put - water ingress - in the 'search' part of the site you will find loads of posts on the dreaded water in the injectors, for both Fiat and Peugeot. Both companies are fitting engine covers now, so have a read, then contact your local Fiat dealer and I am sure he will fit an engine cover under warranty.

Ginny

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Is their a plate /cover missing I was wondering ? in the attached picture a couple of unused captive inserts seem to be sitting unused, or are they all like it.
Pete.

You seem a bit out of touch - the X250 Fiats were all on recall to have covers fitted.

Do you have the reversing judder too ?

A Google on "Fiat water ingress" and "Fiat juddergate" should ruin you day nicely.

Good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

peter t

Free Member
Feb 26, 2008
Sunny Croydon.
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
nearly a year.
You seem a bit out of touch - the X250 Fiats were all on recall to have covers fitted.

Do you have the reversing judder too ?

A Google on "Fiat water ingress" and "Fiat juddergate" should ruin you day nicely.

Good luck.

As it turns out after much faffing about, with all but useless Fiat tel numbers, yes yes your correct re the water ingress, the judder, and their's one for the starter motor fuse aswell.

Turns out after speaking to Fiat uk that the reason I haven't been contacted " which they say I should have been " is because the van is still on their records as being registered to Swift UK. who should have notified all customers.... sounds like passing the buck as I have a letter from Fiat wich confirms the van is registered with them. ?? but hey ho not to worry,.. sorted now.:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have a letter from Fiat wich confirms the van is registered with them. ?? but hey ho not to worry,.. sorted now.:thumb:

Far from it.

You need to google and read the massive "juddergate" thread.

If you don't push Fiat hard they will just ignore you and hope you go away. You have to request that the judder is registered and get a case number, they will not contact you. They are trying to get away with new engine mounts but the real fix is a lower reverse gear. They would, wouldn't they, £200 vs £3000 fix.

The water ingress is trivial but some have said the cure is not brilliant and they can do better themselves. Fiat, I believe have said in the past, "bit of rust eees nothing".

OP
OP
P

peter t

Free Member
Feb 26, 2008
Sunny Croydon.
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
nearly a year.
Far from it.

If you don't push Fiat hard they will just ignore you and hope you go away. You have to request that the judder is registered and get a case number, they will not contact you. They are trying to get away with new engine mounts but the real fix is a lower reverse gear. They would, wouldn't they, £200 vs £3000 fix.

The water ingress is trivial but some have said the cure is not brilliant and they can do better themselves. Fiat, I believe have said in the past, "bit of rust eees nothing".

Thx Brian , quite a bit of reading re ; reverse judder, they have given me a case number for the items I mentioned , but does it cover the judder ?? I will double check and confirm
I'am away this w/end then the van goes into Johns Cross for its 1st hab check nxt week' we can but only hope all well on the hab side...... you got to laugh ain't you. :roflmto::cry::roflmto:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'am away this w/end then the van goes into Johns Cross for its 1st hab check nxt week' we can but only hope all well on the hab side...... you got to laugh ain't you. :roflmto::cry::roflmto:

Well that's good news, at least your dealer is as good as it gets, you don't have a problem there.

Just don't let Fiat get away with it. They've screwed up big time and probably can't afford to do the decent thing, but you've got to force them to.

Me, well, I'm almost ashamed to say that we bought our first MH 18 months ago, set a reasonable target for a first buy and got a 2003 Fiat at 4000 miles. It's excellent. Both the base chassis and the Burstner on top of it.

We seem to be going through a period of "improve it worse", some silly designs for the sake of style and some Italian/Frenchie who can't design a gearbox.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Far from it.

Hi, we have the Peugeot equivalent, do you know if we have to log the judder with Peugeot, and is that the company or our local dealer???

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi, we have the Peugeot equivalent, do you know if we have to log the judder with Peugeot, and is that the company or our local dealer???

I think so.

This problem is so HUGE that they can't afford to do a general recall. I've seen £3K as a ballpark figure, they must have made 10s of thousands of these chassis so surely 10K * 3K is bankruptcy time. 10K * 3K = 30 million. OK, maybe not bankrupt but extremely painful and added to the serious problems across the motor manufacturing industry.

The good news is that long before Fiat admitted there was a problem Peugeot said a fix would be offered.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back