water how do I get it to work (1 Viewer)

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
Just bought a Joint E33, (based on a Fiat Ducato) didn't ask the right questions when I bought it and now have no idea how to get water hot or cold out of the taps. Yes I did fill up the water tank and from the manual it said something along the lines of open the hot tap, which I think then pulls water into the separate water heater. (Yes I did turn the gas on and was hooked up to the mains) but after lots of gurling still no water.
Also I did turn on a pump switch.
I am sure I missing something really obvious so any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.
Thanks Jim

Sep 10, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 309
Exp
since 2011 but years in a caravan
Welcome to FUN did you check to see if the drain tap is closed, look underneath if you see water comimg out youy need to close the drain tap

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jimiol

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
Thanks for the quick replies

Yes I did turn on the habitation power I think, although I will double check that. Yes I did turn on the pump. Drain I am not sure.
The control panel on the Joint is very basic compared to a camper van I hired early this year.
I will have a play again tomorrow and take some photographs. Hopefully these will explain better than my words.
Regards Jim

Upvote 0

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
The gurgling sound makes me think that the pump is running, your boiler will be fitted with an automatic frost drain valve which dumps the water if there is a risk of frost. If this happens you will need to reset it manually otherwise water will continue to drain from your boiler and you will never get pressure at your taps. If this is the problem you will see water discharging below the van.
Geoff.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jimiol

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
Thanks Geoff, Do you know how to re set it manually? It was freezing when I tried this out the other day.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Could just be a bad air lock if MH has sat for a while try opening the taps and sucking i can actually suck water from my tank out the taps or even try blowing through it.

Also check pump is sitting in water as it may have moved or not reaching bottom of tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jimiol

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
Thanks Gerry, I will give this a go tomorrow, just hope no one is watching me sucking the taps!

Upvote 0

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Truma water heater

Assuming you have one of these the anti-frost valve is a red knob which can be pulled up to close the valve. If, when you do this, it simply goes straight back down again then you will need to re-set it. To do this you should get an electric fan heater and blow hot air at the red knob. After a short time you will be able to lift the know and it will stay up - this means that the valve is closed and you can fill it by turning on the pump.
Good luck.

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Assuming you have one of these the anti-frost valve is a red knob which can be pulled up to close the valve. If, when you do this, it simply goes straight back down again then you will need to re-set it. To do this you should get an electric fan heater and blow hot air at the red knob. After a short time you will be able to lift the know and it will stay up - this means that the valve is closed and you can fill it by turning on the pump.
Good luck.

You could also keep it closed, (in the upright position) by attaching a close peg.:thumb:

My dump valve looks like this, it is on the front of the Truma water heater tank. It's the little red knob on the top. It drops and allows the tank to drain at around 4 deg C, for frost protection.

images

This will then allow it to fill and water to run through.

Remember to remove the peg afterwards,,

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jimiol

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
Success

Success I have water both hot and cold, it has taken me 4 hours to do something most would do in 5 minutes.
Firstly to get the cold water running, previously I had the drain valve open so water could not make it to the sink, if I can attach pictures it will show the valve, (it might help someone as thick or ignorant as me in the future). Next getting hot water that was not as simple, I read the instruction manual for the boiler followed the procedure to the letter only for the red failure light to click on. I thought about this and decided to check the gas supply. On checking the cooker I found no gas, I checked the gas store made sure the valve was vertical and the regulator turned to on, still no gas getting to the cooker. I decided I must be out of gas and discounted the 6KG bottle (which took a while as I did not have a spanner to undo the screw in valve thingy) went and bought a new bottle of gas, eventually got that fitted turned the switched on the gas cupboard and went to the cooker full of high hopes only to find the gas wasn’t getting to the cooker, thought maybe the cooker was the problem and tried the heater – no joy with either, at this stage I was nearly suicidal but as the joint does not have an oven or gas, this wasn’t an option.
Then I found four red valves below the sink (again picture attached if I can upload it) once I worked these control the gas supply internally I got the cooker to work and the heater and then I tried the boiler and although nothing appeared to happen there was no warning light either. Left it for a while and as if by magic hot water came out the tap.

Couple of questions; the switch to turn the boiler on 50 or 70 degrees does not appear to have a light showing when it has reached the temperature, should there be a light? How long does it generally take to heat 10ltrs of water, using gas only?

I have not ventured off the drive yet, when I do I will have more questions and judging by the helpful and speedy responses yesterday I know where to go for answers.

Many thanks Jim

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0062.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 88
Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Well done Jim you photo uploading skills are far better than your plumbing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

When my hot water is on gas i get a wee green light comes on it just stays on but heater turns on and off depending on water temp.

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Well done Jim, we knew you would make it.:thumb:

Without going out to take a look I think on my Truma water heating control there are two small lights.
Green which shows always when it is running (ie switched on), and yellow which shows the water is being heated and then goes out when it reaches the required set point temperature on the thermostat.

It takes about 15 mins in summer to heat up the tank and 20 to 25 mins in winter on the gas.

p.s I think ours is the 14 litre tank....

You're Cooking (and heating) on Gas now..... Wahooooo!:Cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
jimiol

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
true

Hi Gerry to true, but most things if not everything is better than my plumbing skills and I did not have to suck the tap either which was a relief.

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Instructions for your boiler can be found here-

Broken Link Removed

We had a Truma Ultrastore in our last MH, if I remember correctly, the variable water temperature only works on gas. The electric function heats to a set temperature.

The instructions should help you though!

Upvote 0
Nov 21, 2011
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 400
Exp
7 years
Of course make sure that you take the gas exhaust cover off, and like the fridge I always found that it works better when the van is level.:winky:
Clive

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jimiol

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
Jon and Shell, thanks for the manual my control valve/switch is not quite the same as in the manual it is a rocker switch 50 degrees up middle off and down for 70 degrees.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back