Nov 27, 2015
City of Brighton & Hove
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 Years
Hi all,

Thought i would test out my water heater in van today, filled tank, turned pump on and water comes out of both cold taps but nothing out of hot taps.
When i only turn hot taps on i can hear the pump wanting to pump (makes a noise about every 3 seconds) but when i turn only cold taps on pump works fine and water flows.
I'm guessing i have air in the hot water boiler so i left taps on and let water flow out at same time as filling tank i also opened air valve on boiler and after this it worked for a minute or so.Then nothing.

Any thoughts on fix

Cheers Pete

PS. I did not turn on boiler as wanted to be sure water had reach it.

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
I presume the hot water tank is full, and the winter drain plug is not open.
Just a thought.

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
You need to open hot taps to fill the boiler, when water starts flowing and no air boiler will be full

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brightonian

Brightonian

Free Member
Nov 27, 2015
City of Brighton & Hove
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 Years
I presume the hot water tank is full, and the winter drain plug is not open.
Just a thought.
Drain plug is shut but because of air don't think hot water tank is full.

You need to open hot taps to fill the boiler, when water starts flowing and no air boiler will be full
I did leave taps on for a couple of minutes should i leave them on for longer?

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Takes in the region of 11 or so litres to fill the HWTank

on mine anyway

Upvote 0

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Most Boilers can contain anything up to 6 gallon. So it takes several minutes with the HOT taps open for air to vent and water to appear. However It occurs to me? Is it an American?. A large number of which have a winterising system that allows the HOT Water Boiler to be bypassed? usually consisting of 2way Taps (Cocks) near the boiler. 1 Closes the inlet 2closes the outlet 3 links the inlet to the outlet bypassing the boiler.

Just a thought?

Pete

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brightonian

Brightonian

Free Member
Nov 27, 2015
City of Brighton & Hove
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 Years
Most Boilers can contain anything up to 6 gallon. So it takes several minutes with the HOT taps open for air to vent and water to appear. However It occurs to me? Is it an American?. A large number of which have a winterising system that allows the HOT Water Boiler to be bypassed? usually consisting of 2way Taps (Cocks) near the boiler. 1 Closes the inlet 2closes the outlet 3 links the inlet to the outlet bypassing the boiler.

Just a thought?

Pete
Not American It's a 1999 Bessacarr E600.
Going to go into van now and try letting it run for several minutes, will let you know soon.
Cheers Pete

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Hmmmm, if the pump runs a little then stops, then runs again then stops it is reaching pressure somewhere. So thinking it through, on cold pumps water through pipes ok. On hot pumps water into boiler, compresses air in there and stops. Air pressure drops and pump starts again. Sound about right? Just leave pump running and taps open but make sure main tank full. (y)

Upvote 0

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
Just had very similar problems, dont open the cold taps just the hot one at the sink, dont turn on gas or electric heater till you have a good flow of water, is it a carver cascade water heater?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brightonian

Brightonian

Free Member
Nov 27, 2015
City of Brighton & Hove
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 Years
Just had very similar problems, dont open the cold taps just the hot one at the sink, dont turn on gas or electric heater till you have a good flow of water, is it a carver cascade water heater?

hi

Looks like it could be a Carver/Truma. maybe someone fitted an isolating valve at some time? IF you don`t have the manual. they are all here from 2000 on?

http://www.bessacarr-owners-club.org/info-centre/user-manuals.aspx

Pete

Yes it's a carver cascade water heater

PS Where would a isolating valve be and what would it look like?

Upvote 0

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi

Look at http://www.bessacarr-owners-club.or...motorhome/9830014-MH-Owners-Handbook-2000.pdf

Scroll to Page either 17 or 20 thereabouts and look at the Water system layout. IF a valve is fitted it will likely be between the TEE piece following the Pump and the heater itself.

Can I ask if the HOT water system has worked in your ownership?. Because IF not then the issue MIGHT be GROSS scale in the heater tank itself blocking the inlet to the the heater.

Pete

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brightonian

Brightonian

Free Member
Nov 27, 2015
City of Brighton & Hove
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 Years
Hi

Look at http://www.bessacarr-owners-club.or...motorhome/9830014-MH-Owners-Handbook-2000.pdf

Scroll to Page either 17 or 20 thereabouts and look at the Water system layout. IF a valve is fitted it will likely be between the TEE piece following the Pump and the heater itself.

Can I ask if the HOT water system has worked in your ownership?. Because IF not then the issue MIGHT be GROSS scale in the heater tank itself blocking the inlet to the the heater.

Pete
Yes have had van for 8 years now, had a problem 2 years ago with a hose coming lose, got that fixed.
It worked fine last year on holiday.
Drained tank beginning winter. Thought i would fill tank and test it yesterday and it's not working as it should!
I will give it another go tonight when i'm home from work.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Not American It's a 1999 Bessacarr E600.
Going to go into van now and try letting it run for several minutes, will let you know soon.
Cheers Pete
OK so your van is extremely similar to ours.

Yes it's a carver cascade water heater

PS Where would a isolating valve be and what would it look like?
Assuming you have a u-shaped lounge, stand in the middle and look backwards. The boiler is under the rear left sofa, lift that cushion. On the floor under it there is a yellow flip valve just in front of the boiler attached to the pipe, it should be flat, not upright.
Since it sounds like you have no water in the boiler, make sure the water heater is off (switch on the Sargent), that only matters if you are hooked up by the way.
OK now the stuff we do do un-winterise! To get water through after a water dump, first turn on the water pump on the panel, and wait until it stops priming. Set one of the mixer taps to halfway between hot and cold, the water running from cold will draw the air through, after the tap stops spluttering, move it all the way to hot. Repeat for all taps.
When complete, your hot water should work, you may now switch the water heater back on :D

Upvote 0

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hope it`s now working?. If not I am afraid you have to consider something that happened to me with a very early cascade 2 in a caravan. I drained down at the end of a "season" come the new year, like yourself, I recommissioned the `van, including the Hot water system. and experienced a vastly reduced hot water flow. In the end it was a case of take it apart. (Some job that was!!). the shell was near 1/3rd full of lime-scale chippings. I managed to get a replacement shell, they where at that time still available at some cost (circa £155 as I remember) which came with a new element (bonus because mine had been "Gas Only"). Which after a right struggle getting it all re-assembled and installed restored full flow. The dealer who agented the replacement via Carver, said the caravan had very likely at sometime been used on a regular basis where the water content lime was very high, possible as a seasonal or "static".

Best of luck hope it`s gone OK.

Pete

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back