Water Heating (1 Viewer)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I'm not sure which controller you have. If there is a "Boost" setting, use that 30 min before you want to shower. Boost takes the temp up to around 75°C, I think, and should give you a better 'run for your litres'. Use gas, else the recovery time will be too slow, and switch off the heating so that all heat is into the water. CH can cool the water temperature (the heat has to come from somewhere).

OP
OP
U

UlsterRugby

Free Member
Nov 1, 2021
Funster No
MH
CClass
Hi two, we dont have a boost facility although it would be a real advantage for sure

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Hi, I thought maybe not. This is present on newer models (something to look forward to, one day).
The boost increases the water temperature to a higher setting than normal and switches the blower off for 30 minutes.
Try to imitate that as best you can and you'll have more to play with.
If you have underfloor heating, you may find that your cold water is warmed a little by that, which will also help when showering.
Try not to achieve all this on EHU alone (no gas). Gas can provide much more heat than can be from electric. As you achieve the required heat settings, the boiler will throttle back and only use electricity while it can. Gas is used when the demand exceeds what can be achieved with electricity - it comes on to supplement the EHU supply, thus only using what's necessary. I'm unsure if this feature will have been implemented on your model, though.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Hi two, we dont have a boost facility although it would be a real advantage for sure
I have a Truma CP plus controller. The boost is one of the functions. I also have an iNet box but strangely whilst the app shows when boost has been selected you can not control it from the app, it has to be done from the CP controller. All the other settings can be done from the app.

I don’t know if the CP plus can be retrofitted but if it is it might enable the boost function. You would need to check this out with Truma.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Gas is used when the demand exceeds what can be achieved with electricity - it comes on to supplement the EHU supply, thus only using what's necessary. I'm unsure if this feature will have been implemented on your model, though.
On my CP plus there are settings of Mix1 and Mix2. Mix1 uses 1x900W electric element and gas and Mix2 uses both 900W elements. However I find the Mix settings rarely bring the gas in straight away, I think it waits to see if the electric elements are gaining ground on their own and only adds gas if they are not. I find if I want quick heating of water or air temperature it is best set to Gas alone, not Mix, it then lets the gas boiler work at it’s full potential.

Worth remembering that the Combi is principally a gas device with the E option available for some markets.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I'm not sure that the OP has a combi version.

I used to have an independent (Ultrastore, or something like that) water heater on which you could set the boiler temperature variably and found that one best when set to what I wanted for the shower temp to be (mixer taps were not thermostatic in those days). I could still get a reasonable shower, using hot water alone, and the gas seemed to cope with the incoming cold water. If you set it to a higher temperature, you spent too much time trying to adjust it at the shower head.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
You could fix a thermostatic mixer valve in line and then the water temperature is set and you don’t waste any trying to balance it

OP
OP
U

UlsterRugby

Free Member
Nov 1, 2021
Funster No
MH
CClass
Guys I really do appreciate all of your time, effort and experiences.

My Truma, can is 27 years old although immaculate, so our Truma is not as advanced as some of yours. It heats a 12L tank and has a warm air blowing system for heating the van. There are, in my lay terms, 4 settings. 1 & 2 are water only to 40 & 60C. 3 is heat only to the van and 4 is heat to the van and 60C water.

I intend to get it serviced over the winter but I do believe it functions well. The van hasn’t had a lot of use. The kilometres on it are 80k. That’s not a lot of use, here in France for a 17 year old motor home

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back