LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Not sure why but for some reason we've always switched our water heating on and off manually through the day, ie once in the morning and then once in the evening, i think it goes back to our tin tent days. Just curious to know what most people do, leave it on the thermostat or switch it on/off as we had been doing ? We have a timer on the main control panel but i'm a bit paranoid about forgetting i've set it.....

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
On electric we leave it on, use our own facilities so don’t go on:eek:ff with it all day

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
What’s that blue face about? Sorry I didn’t enter that it just came up !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I'm like you, switch it on first thing in the morning, off after breakfast.
On again at tea time until everything is washed up and showers taken then off until morning.
Just can't see point in leaving it on.
If I had a timer if probably use that but I don't and don't find it difficult

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have ours the timer in the morning like to have a shower when we get up.
Rest of the time it's off, boil a kettle for washing up.

If you leave it on all the time how often are you going to need to descale the boiler?

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I think the topic came up as we were discussing how to avoid using the campsite facilities (seems odd when you've paid for them but maybe a good approach this year), and hence the idea of access to hot water through the day.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Only have ours on usually when we want a shower/hair wash as we're both fully proficient at giving ourselves all over washes, even in a fishing bivvy, for which we boil a kettle, as we also do to wash up. MoHo bathroom sink is by no means huge so you never need all that much hot. When the weather's scorchio it's much more refreshing to use cooler water - as long as you still use 'soap' you still get rid of perspiration everywhere. We're just not used to having full 240v mains hook up on rallies or rural campsites/aires, and therefore never have to rely on it.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Our boiler is under the bed and gets warm so we always keep it off until we need it, then use it on gas. In Spain the electricity is metered and I only put it on for Ann's hair dryer, everything else is solar.

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Yes, switch ours on and off manually. We do have a timer facility, but still like to do it manually.
Do the same at home, get up, switch hot water on, go down make a coffee, bring it back to bed and by time coffee drank, water has heated up👍

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Like sedge we just turn on when we need it for shower/hair wash. Nothing wrong with all over wash at the sink using a boiled kettle. Probably comes from our camping days and rallying, which we still do (or will do once the CCC start them up again!)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Ours is on all the time, usually on gas. Perhaps thats why we use quite a lot of gas. We need enough for two showers as soon as we get up so without a timer it needs to be on all night.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Never bother. Get pitched up switch on, switch off just before leaving. the thermostat takes care of the rest, It has 2 settings 40 and 60 deg C. 40 works most of the time unless we need to shower.

I descale the Heater at least once a Year. Takes a couple of hours. In my case remove the filter, pump the Solution (Vinegar basically) in leave 30 min or so, flush, put in new filter.

Deleted User
On in the mornings for an hour then off. On sites in Spain the cost of electricity is sometimes a hot topic so when we're there everything runs on gas.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
While we are on Electric we leave the hot water on all the time.
Off grid-on gas-it‘s only on in the morning, rest of the time it’s hot water from the kettle!
If we use a campsite this year, which we probably won’t, we won’t be using their facilities!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have noticed that my off grid gas consumption is much higher if I leave the hot water on all day. Last year we spent a week on a metered ehu and I very quickly learned to turn the hot water off during the day, it was costing several extra units leaving it on. It is worth remembering that we are also paying for the electricity we use on unmetered sites but it is built into the site fees. We are quick to complain when site fees go up so perhaps we should try not to waste energy because somewhere down the line we are paying for it. There are also environmental issues but I have to be honest that I only started thinking seriously about turning things off when I realised how much it was costing.

I have now added an iNet box to my Truma heating system so I can turn the heating and hot water on and off remotely.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Great feedback and very interesting to read. Overall most people seem to use the manual mode with on in the morning for a couple of hours and perhaps similar in the evening.

Notice that many refer to the water heater using electricity ? ie i suppose they can switch between gas and leccy. Not sure mine doeso_O it's a Truma Combi (pretty sure 4) and the controller is like this:

Screenshot 2020-06-23 at 09.57.53.png

If it does switch between gas and leccy then it must do it by itself, but to be honest we are 99% of the time on gas as we hardly ever have a hook up so i'd probably never have known even if it can...

Any way of checking ? i assume there's a simple heating element in water tank ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back