Water heaters ....what have you fitted (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Heres a lovely homebuild with woodburner, and they have a wall mounted boiler with a roof vent .....now i know im possibly in the minority but how homely is that?

Awesome build it even has a washing machine
Screenshot_20210124-163905_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210124-163926_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210124-163942_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm not sure if some of the gas boilers can be mounted on their sides rather than upright so this may help routing pipes etc, alternatively just ensure you position it so you can put a 'chimney' on to take it up to the roof within the PVC, it will obviously take up a little bit of space interally but would still allow you to be a stealth camper.

Edit - just found this as an example of what I mean:

Storage and boiler flue - Vandog Traveller
Yes something like that is an idea as that boiler he is using is under £100

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=303202588857

This could be a last resort fitting ....if i could disguise or colour code the vent/cowl

Or one of these wall mounted with a roof vent

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=353360186200
The instantaneous heater in your 2nd link is not a balanced flue so I wouldn't want to use it inside a van.

I think the Truma Ultrastore is available in gas only therefore cheaper but you would probably have to source from Germany.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The instantaneous heater in your 2nd link is not a balanced flue so I wouldn't want to use it inside a van.

I think the Truma Ultrastore is available in gas only therefore cheaper but you would probably have to source from Germany.
Thanks ...i didnt know that so that rules that out.
Ive seen a few of them used for outside showers where they are fitted on the rear doors....but i dont intend to use the rear doors much ....or shower outside for that matter lol ...when i do ive a sun warmed idea for that.

So the truma is looking like a possibility.
I wonder if it could be vented through the floor?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Mine is the Ultrastore 10l gas only . Could have obtained locally but too dear. Got it from Valencia for 400e in the end.german ones were even dearer than here.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Ok so ive pretty much decided my next van is going to be a self build ....so at the minute ive been spending time planning a layout and equipment etc.
I want to use a diesel heater and a woodburner for heating but im unsure of what to do for water heating.
As i plan to build it as stealth as possible im looking to avoid lots of vents etc on the outside ...

So what methods of water heating have those with self builds gone for ?

I dont plan to have 240v equipment in the van at all as off grid is the goal ....so lpg, diesel, solar etc

Photos , links , details appreciated.
Are you driving about a lot? Some US RVs have heaters that heat the water using the engine. These units are not exactly stealthy, but it wouldn't be rocket science to rig something up with a heat exchanger that worked off the engine coolant. You'd have to time your shower so that you have it just after you arrive there. It would be no good for a morning shower!

I do miss the old RV, when you could just pull on the handbrake and go straight into the shower!

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Are you driving about a lot? Some US RVs have heaters that heat the water using the engine. These units are not exactly stealthy, but it wouldn't be rocket science to rig something up with a heat exchanger that worked off the engine coolant. You'd have to time your shower so that you have it just after you arrive there. It would be no good for a morning shower!

I do miss the old RV, when you could just pull on the handbrake and go straight into the shower!
Also, if you can cope with LPG, then the Whale Expanse heater can be underslung without vents through the bodywork. It goes well with the Propex space heater, which can also be underslung.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Just thought, I have a mains only CAK tanks XT mini water heater which can be run off inverter takes 10mins to provide hot water for shower. This is a small unit very efficient and may work for you even when you are off grid assuming you have an inverter. They also do a version that has an heating coil so you can heat with diesel heater .

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Just thought, I have a mains only CAK tanks XT mini water heater which can be run off inverter takes 10mins to provide hot water for shower. This is a small unit very efficient and may work for you even when you are off grid assuming you have an inverter. They also do a version that has an heating coil so you can heat with diesel heater .
That could be an option i hadn't thought of ...at the minute i plan around 460ah of agm batteries with 500w solar ....and also a victron 24/12 -30amp b2b charger .
So yes I'll have an inverter fitted

Ill look in to that 👍

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Can’t offer you any advice,but following with interest and envy of your diy skills.
What I do know is that when we had a narrow boat (think rain every day and smelly canals),it was very nice to have hot water heated by the engine. Obviously only any good on the days you’re doing a decent mileage.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Because my type of use it seems agm is the best choice .... especially if only charged by solar and b2b

Its also a cost issue lol

As it is 2 x 230ah varta are nearly £500
Madness they are useless as a leisure battery unless you buy the very expensive professional ones. The AGM's in my last van lasted 18 months.

As you rarely stay in one spot more than one or two nights if you don't want the cost of Lithiums standard flooded cells are probably best for you. I prefer Gel but they take longer to recharge but you can discharge them a lot lower.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
We went for propex Malaga E, gas electric as well. It holds 13l of hot 70C deg, and combined with cold, does two showers wash on wash off with few litres spare. It heats up in about 30 mins, and 15-20mins on gas and electric. The beauty of electric via inverter(750w element) I use it as dump load when we have excessive power harvest. That reduces the gas consumption.
Downside, it has a side through the wall flu similar to carver. I gues it can be disguised if located behind one of the back doors, instead against still the side wall.
In regards to the agm’s , I agree. Unless are supper dupper deep cycle like trojan, rolls, sonnenshine, hoppeke, etc... its a bad choice. They have their niche but not cycling life, as will result in short life. If lead is a must, then thru flooded is best bang for the buck. And 2 or 6v blocks, not 12v blocks.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
46 years ago i had an enamel stove” in the trailer that i lived in, and wrapped around the flu sitting on top of the stove was a stainless water tank, which had a tap, you filled it with water,and the water got hot, it was ingenious, and ive never seen one since,

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
46 years ago i had an enamel stove” in the trailer that i lived in, and wrapped around the flu sitting on top of the stove was a stainless water tank, which had a tap, you filled it with water,and the water got hot, it was ingenious, and ive never seen one since,
Something like?

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Madness they are useless as a leisure battery unless you buy the very expensive professional ones. The AGM's in my last van lasted 18 months.

As you rarely stay in one spot more than one or two nights if you don't want the cost of Lithiums standard flooded cells are probably best for you. I prefer Gel but they take longer to recharge but you can discharge them a lot lower.
I have posted this before.

I know you don't like AGM Lenny, but.....

We had 2 110ah Leoch AGMs in the last van. Votronic solar controller with AGM settings. Full timed for 5 years and no probs.

This van - old Hymer, wanted to try something different, so went for 2 Trojan T105s and wish I had stuck to AGM. Trojans are good, but not as good as our Leoch AGMs, so far....

AGMs are great if charged properly, 14.7v bulk on solar, we were only on ehu half a dozen times over 5 years.

They charge quicker than others (not lithium) can take them to 80% discharge, have low self discharge and are flexible on fitting (sideways if necessary).

Glad to see others are seeing the benefits of AGM.

👍 🙂

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If you want stealth then go for a Eperspacher Hydronic. Everything under the van 😉 They now do a cheaper version but I don't know the name (brought out in response to Chinese heater's) I would have to ask sister in law to ask her X as to what they are called. I know they are only around £8/900 . If they are similar to the Hydronic I fitted in my van then all pipework within 3 ft of the heater needs to be in copper with compression joint's 😉 Don't ask how I know this 😁
In the past I have fitted all sorts from Chinese heater's to Truma.If I was footing another I would look into the new Eperspacher Hydronic cheaper type. If not that then Truma separates IE heater and boiler

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Gas will be much cheaper than diesel, esp LPG.
I think you used to be able to get separate water heaters and some heaters that vent from below.
Isn’t there an issue with LPG supply locations reducing and especially in Scotland ?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Not aware of issues, but haven't been out at all for over a year, least of all to Scotland.
Nothing to stop you using bottled gas, I'm sure it'll still be cheaper than diesel.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Not aware of issues, but haven't been out at all for over a year, least of all to Scotland.
Nothing to stop you using bottled gas, I'm sure it'll still be cheaper than diesel.
There has been a number of posters on here and to MoHO magazines decrying the removal of LOG pumps from garages, and I understand in the whole of the west coast of Scotland there are only 2 or 3 pumps, I stand to be corrected on those number.
diesel is easier to carry and you only need to use your main vehicle tank. I am a keen user of my Diesel Wallas heater/hob, but alas it doesn’t heat water so hence the electric water water heater I have pointed out to Northernraider previously on this thread.The water heater takes up less than a third of the space of 1 gas tank.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Ill be fitting a 25litre lpg tank under the van but it will only really be for the oven and hob , diesel heater plumbed in to main diesel tank so i ALWAYS have heat.
Fridge will be 12v only , water heater still undecided but as its only used once a day at most it could be gas if required.

I've never had a problem getting LPG to be honest anywhere ....i just prefer diesel heating.

Im following a build at the minute that actually has 2 eberspacher diesel heaters fitted

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back