Water filters (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Has anyone tried Whale in-line water filters, and if so, are they any good ?

My Mrs. won't drink the tap (onboard) water cos she says it tastes horrible, even after boiling.

I've had purifiers in the tank and she still says no.
We end up lugging bottles of water about that we have filled from a household/site tap and it just seems daft to me.
I've even offered to buy one of those jug filter things if all else fails.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We started out (in our ignorance) drinking water from the on-board tank of our first van. That was fine until we detected off flavours using a supply at a temporary event (evidently some sort of purification chemical had been added).

We then started using a separate bottle for drinking water which was fine with "real" mains but not much use with a bowser at Stratford Show where a chemical had also been added.

As a result we bought a filter jug (Asda own brand) which works fine in removing off flavours so long as you make sure the filter is properly seated so that the water is filtered properly.

We did consider Nature Pure (or similar) but as our requirement is merely to remove off flavours and not to purify non-potable water we decided the expense was not justified.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi i use a doulton berken feld filter system . its used by the world health crowd . only use it if water is really dodgy .but its a real safari type ceramic filter with silver inlay. got it from brownchurch landrovers in london . works for me .
give the tank a few washes with good chlorinated tap water should clean it out then just use good tap water should be ok. i use mine if someone as a bad stomach .or if river water as to be put in . wash as soon as possible with chlorinated water soon cleans your tank .

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I have fitted a nature pure filter with tap, therefore only filter the water we consume. Saves carrying bottled water around imo. :thumb:

malheg

Free Member
May 28, 2008
Coppull (Chorley)
Funster No
MH
Campervan (Alphard)
Exp
12 yrs
Filtered water

I have the same problem with my wife. We end up with a 5l water container in the van for drinking.

Looked at fitting a Filter/pureifier, but can only fit in the on board tank. Which is not ideal.

Malc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I clean the Tank out after every trip, never put any untreated water in, and during Winter sterilise the whole system, works fine for us, with no problems as to taste, Delhi Belly etc:thumb:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
when we had the caravan it used to have a whale water filter on the inlet pipe that you dunk in the aquaroll I will assume the inline one would be very similar in design and function, I once opened one and all that was in there was a bag of charcoal, and after seeing all the algae and slime within the housing it put me off drinking the water that had come through it anyway , they also need changing pretty often. as an aside quite often the taste that you get when drinking water out of the tank/through the pipework is down to people sterelising the system with the wrong products which can effect the plastic pipes and /or the stainless steel boiler tanks, I always used either puraclean or later on just white vinigar, still for me for cold drinks I keep a litre bottle of water straight from the mains in the fridge. the white vinigar treatment also has the advantage of getting rid of the limescale in the boilers aswell I've never used a filter since.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

My Mrs. won't drink the tap (onboard) water cos she says it tastes horrible, even after boiling.

We end up lugging bottles of water about that we have filled from a household/site tap and it just seems daft to me.

We use the Aquatabs tablets....but we use the mega Aquatab..more cost efective....1 tablet does 250 ltrs of water
This is all we have ever used ..... never had a problem..put tab into filler hole, then fill tank with water after 30mins ........drink the water

guard against illness caused by contaminated water.

Aqua Clean Tabs destroy organisms which cause Legionellas, Cholera, Diarrhoea, Typhoid, Amoebic Dysentery and Salmonella. Just add a tablets when filling the water tank or container.
No aftertaste ...Approved and used by: NATO, WHO, Unicef, International Red Cross, Medecins Sans Frontieres, and Oxfam.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AquaTabs-...Accessories&hash=item1c08095f97#ht_1099wt_850

http://www.aquatabs.com/faq-how-to-use-water-disinfection-tablets/index.html

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
cheap and cheerful but it only filters the water...it doesnt purify it.

we use a General ecology nature-pure filter.

this filter is fine enough to remove bacteria and cysts down to 0.1 microns.

in other words...it makes Pure, almost sterile, water.

you can put ANY water through this filter...ditch water, canal water, stagnant water and, if your brave enough, you could pee in it....and it will come out crystal clear and germ/bacteria free.

the sales pitch i was given involved water with a dark blue dye in it......it came out the tap crystal clear.

very expensive for a filter but you only buy once (except the replacement filters)

Link Removed

Last edited:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I just use a filter jug for drinking water - like it chilled from the fridge. Top it up from a 5L water container that I use with a flexible funnel to top up the onboard tank if necessary so it's not as though I have to carry anything extra in the van. :Smile:

bullrush

Free Member
Aug 11, 2012
gosport
Funster No
MH
Rapido c class
Exp
20 yrs
Water Puritfiers

Having just returned after 5 weeks in France the water there had an unpleasant tast so the easy way was to buy bottled water to drink , its cheap, and use the water in the tank for washing etc.............no problems

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think we'll probably all agree that Nature Pure (or other purifying, rather than filtering, system) is necessary when one isn't sure of water quality. When use is confined to potable supplies, though, a filter jug should be fine for removing any off flavours.

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I think we'll probably all agree that Nature Pure (or other purifying, rather than filtering, system) is necessary when one isn't sure of water quality. When use is confined to potable supplies, though, a filter jug should be fine for removing any off flavours.

A filter jug is the route that we are going to go down, just to givr it a try.
If SWMBO likes it I will be a happy man ::bigsmile:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
dont drink water:Eeek:,study's have found that people that drink water are 100% going to die:Sad:
at sometime:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Eat Fray Bentos Pies whenever possible.

This builds up immense strength in you digestive system.

Your tummy protecting thingies get so strong you can drink any water without harm.

As Punch says...

"That's the way to do it..." :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

I have a Nature Pure filter... pricy but you can drink the water... :winky:

Sep 10, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 309
Exp
since 2011 but years in a caravan
We also have a nature Pure system for drinking water its good but the only thing about it I don’t like is the chunk chunk noise it makes when filling it cant be good for the pump but there is no way to adjust the flow to stop it doing it.

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The only time I've ever had tainted water from the onboard tank was caused by the filling hose. Never thought that water just passing through 20 feet of hose would pick up a taste so quickly.
We have always drunk the water from the onboard tank whether we are in the UK, France, Germany or Spain. Never had any side effects, French water in particular is very pleasant.

The only dodgy water we've had was from a CL in Norfolk where there was definitely a problem with drainage.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We also have a nature Pure system for drinking water its good but the only thing about it I don’t like is the chunk chunk noise it makes when filling it cant be good for the pump but there is no way to adjust the flow to stop it doing it.

To reduce, if not eliminate, the water pump 'cycling' on and off, you could fit a Fiamma Expansion tank .. this will also help to give an even flow with your shower..

Broken Link Removed

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
DRINKING WATER YOU LOT MUST BE MAD HAVE YOU NOT TRIED BROON DOG???(NEWCASTLE BROON ALE FOR YOU SOFT SOUTHERNERS )????????

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back