Water Filters... (1 Viewer)

Jun 1, 2016
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 4009
Exp
Since early 90's
Since owning our used Chausson we have not been happy with the water taste from the fresh water tank, we always boil the water but even then it has a strange odour, our last van was fine btw.
We ran some puriclean through the system but its still not good, while looking at a project to make an extra table top for us while in the kitchen area using the large slide out food cupboard under the sink i noticed it had an inline water filter installed, it was then i remember a sheet of paper in all the paperwork from the dealer that on further inspection noted a filter being installed in 2010.
I checked their website and they state changing the filter after 2500 litres or 6 months, its likely that filter could have been there for the last 7 years :(
Do people use inline filters?
are they worth it?
I may replace it with a new one or remove it completely but not decided yet.

your thoughts please?

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
All I know is , our new to us van , july this year , came with an in line water filter already fitted . No idea how long its been there , so its getting removed and a new one fitted , once I read some reviews and find a decent quality replacement . Will also take the opportunity to sterilise the tank and water pipes. In the meantime and this is only our choice, we carry a couple of 5 litre bottles of fresh water for drinking and tea making.

I dont know the science or reasoning behind the change filter at 2500 litres or 6 months stage, but it seems to be the average time or volume usage that suppliers quote . Therefore you quoting a possible 7 year old filter mention , I think I would replace the filter.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We never use the tank water for cooking or the kettle, we have a 10 litre silicone water carrier for potable water.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
When I was a lad camping we used water from the nearest burn or stream, never suffered. Where we live we enjoy really nice, soft water and find some strange tastes when we travel, especially in the south of England.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I've been using tank (or Aquaroll when caravanning) since the '70s. I think I'm still OK :D.

I don't drink water directly from the tap anyway. Wife likes sparkling water. We both make tea, coffee, and cook and clean teeth using tank water. Given the efforts made by the water supply companies to remove pathogens by the application of various chemicals I believe the tank & pipework gets a thorough clean every time it's in use. Algae form when the van isn't in use & the pipes aren't thoroughly drained but seems harmless. If a little tasty :).

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
When we had our caravan, that had a crystal charcoal filter that was changed yearly but on a motorhome this isn't the case, there were no filters on all the ones we have had why not ? .

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
UK Water and most of Europe has all kinds of crap in it to stop it from killing you... Be sensible and don't crap in your fresh water tank and you will be fine drinking it..... I have had the same 2 gym bottles for about 8 years now and don't think I have ever watched them... still here.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you want to keep a filter inline then just get a new cartridge but before fitting it clean our your tank/pipes etc so you don't contaminate the new filter with anything. If you're not bothered then just remove it and put a piece of pipe in it's place. We've had campers and motorhomes since 1995 and apart from the first one which had had diesel put in the wrong orifice by the previous owner, we've always drunk the water out of the tank (no filters) and never had any problems at all.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you simply want to avoid bad tasting water, get a filter jug. You can fill it up directly from a tap and keep it in the fridge for a nice cool drink.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I drink straight from tap.. have done since bought Moho in April 15...
the only thing I do is flush with fresh using a spray head attached to hose.. via access hatch... and only once in a while... or if I notice little “black” bits in my glass of water!..

My current water has been in there for over 3 weeks now... I’m down to my last 25 or so ltrs... and i’m still breathing and have not got the squits etc...

Mind you.... I am a rock-ard northerner ...

My guess is it be your filter cartridge ...

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I'm now in Portugal so a normal water filter won't be any good. Where can I get the Berkeley ones @JJ.?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I bought my Berkey water purifier online...

Very simple operation.

Pour water in the top... Gravity feeds it through the twin filters into the bottom section. No pipes, no wires, no nasties in your water, no fuss.

20171014_110932.jpg

JJ :cool:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004

Very simple operation.

Pour water in the top... Gravity feeds it through the twin filters into the bottom section. No pipes, no wires, no nasties in your water, no fuss.

View attachment 191969

How many litres that hold @JJ.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015

Very simple operation.

View attachment 191969

Been looking at those for a few yrs...
I might get meself one ...

... do they recycle wee?.. :LOL::rofl:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Always drink water from the tank but use to sometimes get the nasy taste but that is down to minerals in the water that sometimes react with the plastics in the pipes & tank not dangerous just not nice in the tea. Use to use a jug filter but now find it more convenient to have an inline filter to the kitchen tap. Use a Filtapac Econoflo about £20 and replacement filter units about £6 and no nasty tastes. Also never leave the water in the tank too long as chlorine disperses over a few day, no problem for us as a tank only lasts 4-5 days with both of us having showers every day.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I don't understand that comment, Portugal is in the EU drinking water has to meet EU standards.

Yes and no. Whereas public water supplies will probably comply private water supplies might not. I know a hamlet in UK which is on a private supply and very suspect even though houses have filter and uv units.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes and no. Whereas public water supplies will probably comply private water supplies might not. I know a hamlet in UK which is on a private supply and very suspect even though houses have filter and uv units.
Best stick to the Gin then.:D2

I normally find I can smell the chlorine in the water and if thats the case I know its safe.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Always drink water from the tank but use to sometimes get the nasy taste but that is down to minerals in the water that sometimes react with the plastics in the pipes & tank not dangerous just not nice in the tea. Use to use a jug filter but now find it more convenient to have an inline filter to the kitchen tap. Use a Filtapac Econoflo about £20 and replacement filter units about £6 and no nasty tastes. Also never leave the water in the tank too long as chlorine disperses over a few day, no problem for us as a tank only lasts 4-5 days with both of us having showers every day.

Thanks. I have to fit a new kitchen tap so might install one of these at the same time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back