Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Have you a water filter in your van?
Are you 100% satisfied with it?
What make is it, is it the best?
What are the running costs?
"Answers please on the back of an envelope"

We are thinking of putting one in and as we are in our van all the time would it be expensive?

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
You won't go far wrong with a Seagull IV - not cheap but very efficient. (Google it.)

Dave

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Nature pure and you can get a MHF discount. Had one in the last van and have one in current van, not cheap but never had a problem drinking water straight out of the tap.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Both of the above are from General Ecology.

Dave

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Morrisons jug water filter. 20 quid with 4 filters. Works a treat.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Morrisons jug water filter. 20 quid with 4 filters. Works a treat.
The Nature Pure will make bad water good and safe, the Morrisons filter will only make bad water taste less bad. It depends on what you want from your filter.

Although NOT recommended you could take water from a ditch and the Nature Pure will render it completely safe

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I don't drink water from my tank but just fill a couple of 5 litre plastic containers straight from the tap...BUSBY.

OP
OP
Shrimp

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I don't drink water from my tank but just fill a couple of 5 litre plastic containers straight from the tap...BUSBY.

Yes we do that but it would be handy to be able to-safely-use the tank water! We like touring the conrinent and our drinking water is limited but the tank holds 120 ltrs, shop bought water is dear whereas we can fill the main tank for about €2!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
In 15 years of touring Europe we have always drunk tap water,,never been ill. Cant believe in UK the number of people that buy bottled water,,,BUSBY.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I agree with @busby I think it depends on how frequently you replenish/use your water (and of course where you fill). If you do not use your van for more than a few weeks at a time then contaminated water may become an issue. Unless you really are in the back of beyond all fresh water is potable.

We lived on a sailing yacht for 3 years and fresh water was often dubious so we did indeed use a General Ecology Seagull IV (a marvellous piece of engineering!) however in our van we have never had an issue.

Something worth mentioning here is that high quality filters that are truly capable of purifying water require 12v and amps. You will need one filter for each tap you intend to use. You can purchase a manual pump filter ........ but do you really want to do that every time you want fresh water?

Although not quite in the same league, dodgy water is a bit like gassing, who do you actually know who has been affected by it?

:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back