Water filling after a break (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Filled the van this morning in preparation for its first outing since September. I’d drained the van down for the winter and decided that, as we were only going 100 miles or so from home, to a site with water available, to only put in about 20 litres. We’re so old fashioned that we still use an Aquaroll to fill fresh water. Anyway after filling with one aquaroll, we made sure the boiler dump valve was closed and turned on the pump to bleed the taps. Much spluttering and farting (the taps🙄) and only a little water came out of the taps. But there was a loud gurgling sound never heard before and I checked to see whether water was gushing out of the boiler, pump or elsewhere, but no.

So, after turning everything off and scratching my head, thought that maybe there simply wasn’t enough water in the tank. So filled it to over 50% and tried again. This time, after a few minutes of spluttering and air venting (again the taps) had a good stream from both hot and cold on all taps and the shower.

The key therefore is to ensure that there is enough water in your tank before you start filling the boiler and venting any air in the system. Maybe this will help someone like me who’s filling their water tank after the winter break. 👍

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
Also put some water treatment solution in your water tank and flush it through the pipes.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Filled the van this morning in preparation for its first outing since September. I’d drained the van down for the winter and decided that, as we were only going 100 miles or so from home, to a site with water available, to only put in about 20 litres. We’re so old fashioned that we still use an Aquaroll to fill fresh water. Anyway after filling with one aquaroll, we made sure the boiler dump valve was closed and turned on the pump to bleed the taps. Much spluttering and farting (the taps🙄) and only a little water came out of the taps. But there was a loud gurgling sound never heard before and I checked to see whether water was gushing out of the boiler, pump or elsewhere, but no.

So, after turning everything off and scratching my head, thought that maybe there simply wasn’t enough water in the tank. So filled it to over 50% and tried again. This time, after a few minutes of spluttering and air venting (again the taps) had a good stream from both hot and cold on all taps and the shower.

The key therefore is to ensure that there is enough water in your tank before you start filling the boiler and venting any air in the system. Maybe this will help someone like me who’s filling their water tank after the winter break. 👍
More water does help but if the water heater is 10lt like ours waiting for it to fill is necessary.
Do you fill with the pump off & taps open?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Filled tank with pump off and taps closed.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
IMO open helps - Oh! I mean shower & sink taps,
You mean drain taps? 🤔 :rofl:

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I usually run the taps whilst I am filling the tank. It bleeds the air out before management gets a soaking when the taps cough before clearing the air out of the system.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back