Water filler question and Truma combi Boiler Smell (Autotrail) (1 Viewer)

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
I currently have an issue with my Truma Combi boiler (2016 Autotrail Tracker FB) making a smell and when I investigated it I noticed water on top of the boiler which is directly beneath the water filler pipe. The water was coming into the boot area through a small white breather type pipe which is part of the water filler unit. I have taken a pic of the inside where the water pipe comes in and fills the tank and the breather pipe thingy. Admittedly I was filling it with a hose and it was splashing a bit from the outside and i should have had the hose going deep down the pipe but nevertheless should water squirt into the boot if I accidentally miss? Not a huge amount of water but enough to require it to be mopped up.

With regards to the Truma Combi Boiler 4 smell, I noticed it a few weeks ago on a trip. With the heating off and the water being heated on electric on full power a really nasty electrical/burning smell builds up and comes through the heating pipe into the bathroom. So much so that I thought we had a fire. I have read numerous Internet accounts of this same problem only to read that it is normal??? Well I don't think it's normal and I was wondering if anyone else may have had this problem and cured it to their satisfaction? The smell goes away when the heating comes on and the blower clears the pipes. However the smell is really obnoxious and frankly rather nasty.

I have been on to Truma and they said it's normal and gave this explanation......

"Further to our telephone conversation, please find some information below;
It is not unusual under certain conditions for the Truma Combi Boiler to emit hot odours from the duct outlets.There are several reasons why this may occur.
When used on ‘’Summer’’ setting (water heating only) very high temperatures are created within the boiler, natural convection can take place which causes cool air to be brought in via the low level ducts causing high temperature air to convect through the high level ducts at a very slow speed raising the ducting temperature.
Any dust or debris that may be in the duct and plastic materials in close proximity to the duct become hot and can cause an odour.
When used on ‘’Winter’’ setting (blown air heating) the temperatures are much lower within the boiler and ducting therefore it is less likely to experience the hot odour issue.
Although these odours are normal should you experience any excessive odours please have the Combi inspected by your Truma service centre.
IMG_0408.jpg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the hose is missing from the tank breather, or was never installed

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years

The only breather pipe (clear plastic) coming from the tank vents into the truma boiler. There is nowhere for any other vent pipe to enter the tank from the nozzle I have arrowed?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I had the issue ref the breather hole on my 2005 Apache 700, once full and using a hose it seemed to trickle back up and i had a few wet floors before i worked out the breather hole. I just made sure not to overfill and never had any further problems.
My 2012 700 is same as yours, no pipe fitted but never had an issue with this one, I have filled to overflowing but water comes out under the van..

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
I had the issue ref the breather hole on my 2005 Apache 700, once full and using a hose it seemed to trickle back up and i had a few wet floors before i worked out the breather hole. I just made sure not to overfill and never had any further problems.
My 2012 700 is same as yours, no pipe fitted but never had an issue with this one, I have filled to overflowing but water comes out under the van..

Thanks for that. It makes you wonder the point of having the breather and not fitting a pipe? Overflow is not really the issue. It was me filling it using a high pressure hose which caused the water to shoot into the boot? I think I'll just have to plug it up as its obviously not doing anything.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just a word of caution, if you use too high a pressure you could cause other problems so only use standard tap pressure and hose to fill, not a high pressure set up (assuming that's what you mean!) and if the tap has a VERY high pressure better to turn it down a bit ...

We don't have a vent or overflow on our van, once the tank is full water just comes out of the fill point and we get a 'free' cold shower if we're not careful!!!

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Just a word of caution, if you use too high a pressure you could cause other problems so only use standard tap pressure and hose to fill, not a high pressure set up (assuming that's what you mean!) and if the tap has a VERY high pressure better to turn it down a bit ...

We don't have a vent or overflow on our van, once the tank is full water just comes out of the fill point and we get a 'free' cold shower if we're not careful!!!

I was using one of those slinky hozes which collape when they are empty and fill up when you use them. They are about 2 miles long LOL:LOL:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I was using one of those slinky hozes which collape when they are empty and fill up when you use them. They are about 2 miles long LOL:LOL:
They're not high pressure .... they're slow pressure as they take ages to fill due to the small bore ... there's something sooooooo 'naughty' about the way they expand though:X3:

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
I had " the smell " on Summer setting , also reassured it was " normal " . Water was temp tested At the taps and all was well . Stunk mind you so I feel your pain / concern !

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We have a Truma 6. Also get that smell when heating set to high (1.8kW) on electric. Dealer said it was normal.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Unfortunately the smell is normal ... it does lessen a bit over time though.

Locoman

Free Member
Mar 14, 2016
Mid Devon (UK)
Funster No
MH
Swift Select 184
Exp
Since 1982
We have been experiencing this problem with our new Swift Select 184, and as a result of all your comments it has put our mind to rest somewhat. But some thing in these boilers cant be right, If Truma say its normal, it looks as though they will not do anything about it until some unfortunate person has a fire in their van .
I will be watching these posts for further updates

Nov 4, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
My New IH van with Truma 4E has the same smell, albeit fairly mild, when on High Hot Water only setting. As stated above, it is not apparent on either Low (900W) setting or on combined Heating and Water. Had the same on the previous van, Pilote with Truma 6E. from new and it did diminish over time. It is disconcerting though and if Truma consider it 'Normal' then it is not great design.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Unfortunately the smell is normal ... it does lessen a bit over time though.
You mean the smell is strong enough to overpower the pong of genuine motorhomers wearing the same t-shirts and smalls for 10 days? I think not!:)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You must have or it would be impossible to draw water out of the tank.
I was talking about an overflow type pipe/vent which we definitely don't have but we do have a filling cap with slots in the which allows the tank to 'breathe' so it never totally seals the water fill pipe. There may also be an air pipe for the tank itself but its nothing to do with overflow ... short of lifting up the bed and having a shuftie I can't remember although we did have one in the previous Globecar camper.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back