Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Water Filler Cap won't work

I have this issue as well.

I saw somewhere else to put the filler cap in boiling water and that this might cure the problem.

It didn't work for me!

You could try it.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I had this with last van and tried the hot water idea. It didn't work so I drove to a locksmith and he sorted it... something to do with a spring inside the cap.. Good luck.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Suspect you'll find lots of people have had similar problems, mine would only lock occasionally but a good soak in boiling water seems to have cured the problem.
Geoff.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As above.. very common...
Soak in hot water will free it up..
Silicon spray from Screwfix is a good investment, handy for all the locks on the van...

Broken Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
worth a try........

Scrape (dont shave) a pencil lead (graphite) with a craft knife onto the key.
Bit fiddly but should help get the key moving if enough lead is introduced.

You can buy small bottles of powdered graphite for future maintenance on eBay.

Graphite is the lubricate of choice by locksmiths....WD40 dries out and oil attracts dirt.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Several years ago I was at the Midsummer Motorhome Show at Lincoln and my water filler cap wouldn't lock, went to a stall holder and he showed me how to use it correctly and he locked it for me, I unlocked it but never got round to locking it again. It was me, it just wouldn't lock for me. Spent about 2 years travelling around with the cap fitted but not locked.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I used boiling water well over a year ago and then sprayed loads of silicon into the plastic workings. Been ok to date

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hmm,in 4 yrs I've never bothered to find out if it locks or not ::bigsmile:
I sort of thought 'who would want to steal the water'

Am I laying myself open to the next Urban Myth-a noxious substance was introduced into our water tank and we was robbed whilst comatose :ROFLMAO:

I will check it in morn though.
Mike

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
same thing with toilet cassette doors, some really sad gits out there will steal anything if its not locked up, even your shit:Eeek:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009

Am I laying myself open to the next Urban Myth-a noxious substance was introduced into our water tank and we was robbed whilst comatose :ROFLMAO:

Mike

:thumb::thumb: It locks :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mike

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Mike

once saw a 9ft tall bloke taking a pi$$ in someones tank....:ROFLMAO:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
whis I had been able to lock mine sun b........d stole it last night and my gaslow cap to :cry:

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I had the same problem a year ago with the water cap , it refused to lock so I bought another one which worked.
I then found out by mistake I put my old one back on which locked okay and has done ever since .
I put it down to operator error:Eeek:

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
just been and checked mine as never locked it before,,,,works ok though.....:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
If it's any of these filler caps...although they look different from the outside all the same on the inside..it is a common fault they have known for years..I have had 4 new caps fitted By Rapido with the locks being changed from one cap to the other so you still use the same Key...while I was in Mayenne I called at the Rapido Factory as a complaint...they said they do not make they buy them in and yes it is a fault that has been going on for years...end of ??????BUT they said NEVER spray silicone on them or oil....it is two different materials I think Nylon...and ..Plastic/PVC and they react different at different temps...so it may lock today but not tomorrow...oops sorry no pics

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
If it's any of these filler caps...although they look different from the outside all the same on the inside..it is a common fault they have known for years..I have had 4 new caps fitted By Rapido with the locks being changed from one cap to the other so you still use the same Key...while I was in Mayenne I called at the Rapido Factory as a complaint...they said they do not make they buy them in and yes it is a fault that has been going on for years...end of ??????BUT they said NEVER spray silicone on them or oil....it is two different materials I think Nylon...and ..Plastic/PVC and they react different at different temps...so it may lock today but not tomorrow

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If it's any of these filler caps...although they look different from the outside all the same on the inside..it is a common fault they have known for years..I have had 4 new caps fitted By Rapido with the locks being changed from one cap to the other so you still use the same Key...while I was in Mayenne I called at the Rapido Factory as a complaint...they said they do not make they buy them in and yes it is a fault that has been going on for years...end of ??????BUT they said NEVER spray silicone on them or oil....it is two different materials I think Nylon...and ..Plastic/PVC and they react different at different temps...so it may lock today but not tomorrow

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Mine is this one and the fix worked
$_12.JPG

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Once it's had the boiling water treatment to free the inner and outer plastic skins it needs a good dosing of silicon into the gap between. Mine has been OK through two winters now which is usually the time they stick together. A regular spray would help but I keep forgetting and it still works fine. The lock barrel isn't usually the problem

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back