Water coming in via rear window (1 Viewer)

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
Come to Germany! It's great for motorhoming/van life.
In recent heavy rain, water leaked in from around the rear window of our van. (There are no drainage holes that might have become blocked.) Some water ran down the wall between the bottom of the window and the kitchen-sink top, where it accumulated. I suppose that the rain came in between the outside rubber seal and the van body.

To cure this problem, I was thinking of using sealant and was going to ask about how long I should wait (to allow thorough drying out) before applying this but on reading on this forum and elsewhere about the problem, the matter seems not to be quite so straightforward. I am extremely far from being a great handyman and am not at all happy to read about the need, perhaps, to remove and refit the window (and "how easy" this is!).

Our new van is under two-year guarantee (until the end of August this year) and although quite a long journey will be involved in getting to the manufacturer's (who do not have a system of allowing work under guarantee to be done locally), and for other reasons, maybe the best thing would be to ask them to fix it, and fix at the same time two small roller blinds which won't roll down.

Here's a photo of part of the window. I'm not sure it's useful to post it but anyway here it is.

Please advise. _DSC0337 MEJ CRP.jpg

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I had a leak at the rear of the van next to the kitchen area, Hymer B544. The water was coming in via the high-level brake light enclosure.

A bead of silicone between body of van and brake-light surround cured the leak.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If it's still under warranty I'd be taking back to get it repaired particularly if there is more than one fault.
I would also make sure you log the faults with them now just in case they have a backlog of repairs \ are on reduced working \ etc and can't get to you before the expiry date.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I would suggest it is more likely to be leaking from the brake light or a camera if fitted than the window frame

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I had a leak from the rear window twice. I took the window out and replaced the seal curing the leak the first time.
The second time I had the window out before I spotted the high level brake light was sitting on the back panel at a strange angle. When I got up there I found the light was had been fastened in by sealant and both screws were missing.
I think that was a case of look carefully before taking things apart.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
popotla

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
TheBig1 I would suggest it is more likely to be leaking from the brake light or a camera if fitted than the window frame.

Well yes, there is a camera up there but I'm not sure how that might be the source of the leak.

_DSC0356 MEJ CRP.jpg

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Still unberwarranty?, Photograph damage and leak and take it back , any attempt by you to cure the leak would invalidate the claim and let them off the hook DONT TOUCH

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Still unberwarranty?, Photograph damage and leak and take it back , any attempt by you to cure the leak would invalidate the claim and let them off the hook DONT TOUCH
What he said..............
But if you really really don’t want to do that,get it done locally. I had the same problem a few years ago and the firm that do
my servicing etc fixed it for £30 when it was in for a service. I had done a temporary repair with silicone in the meantime.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
2 +2 =5 sorry Contact firm you bought it from explain about time distance and cost of bringing van to them and repair . Ask if local accredited firm can do the work, subject to their being no further issues . If they say no then see original post DONT TOUCH

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
You could start low down with a low pressure water hose pipe with someone inside the van as a 'leak spotter'.
Go side to side with the hose and slowly work up.
The person inside should spot the leak.
That's what they do at Dealerships to detect the leak.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
TheBig1 I would suggest it is more likely to be leaking from the brake light or a camera if fitted than the window frame.

Well yes, there is a camera up there but I'm not sure how that might be the source of the leak.

View attachment 401151
There are two screws it appears that attach the camera to the van, also a hole where the wiring enters, :unsure:

OP
OP
popotla

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
We made the journey to the manufacturer's, who used sealant on the rear window-and also the two side windows. (I liked and remembered the remark I saw on here: "There are two kinds of windows: those that leak and those that are going to leak.") It appears to be a good job, which of course it should be. They didn't have time (yes, they are always extremely busy) to take out and refit the window but we have an appointment for later this year, in case the leak continues. (The opinion was expressed that the current sealing should do the job and that water inside the frame has had time to come through, so moisture retention should not be a problem. I'm not sure about this but that's the situation for now. All done (and to be done, if necessary) under guarantee.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
As mentioned above, it could be where the camera is mounted -through the screw holes or where the cable enters the bodywork, or it could be the sealant around the top edge of the window frame against the bodywork. Low pressure hose & water will show it.
On a separate note, if it is an ‘open outwards’ window (can’t tell from photo) other than a sliding window, try cleaning the rubber seal and ensuring that there’s no small kink or flattened effect on the rubber as excessive rain water has been know to run down the drain channels within the frame and enter the van that way.
You’ll know by sitting in the van and watching beneath the window frame on the internal wall whilst someone sprays the hose above the frame. I suggest cleaning the inner frame of any grime as well (between window glass and where the rubber is fixed).
If there’s only you to do this, tape some paper at strategic points inside you van and use the hose sparingly and then go inside to check to see if the paper is wet.
Good luck and let us know what it was causing it.

Jan 2, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus
Exp
full timing since beginning 2017
I would take it back principally because there could be unseen damage to wall board etc, may end up being a bigger job than first thought🤔

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back