Free Member
Jan 7, 2014
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie (7 years towing)
We have an Autotrail Tracker EKS. We park on level ground but find on driving off a deluge of water cascades off the roof at the front when starting off. It collects in front of the roof light and the higher moulding on the front. Is this normal?
I think the problem can be alleviated by reversing onto our chocks. Anyone have a similar problem? I don't like the idea of a pool of water sitting there especially in winter, or am I being fussy?

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Our Comanche does the same.
I e-mailed AutoTrail via their web site queries section and asked if the motorhome was designed to have standing water on the roof when it is level.
That was 18 months ago and I am still waiting for a reply.

If it is not levelled it naturally sits in a nose down attitude, making the pooling worse.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I have read on here that it's best to park on a slight slope to stop water settling.
I made the mistake of making my parking space level and I also get the cascade after heavy rain.
Chocks sounds like a good idea. (y)
Unless anybody tells us different..................:love:

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
so do i put the rear up on ramps or the front ? is it lower at the back or the front ? :(

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
so do i put the rear up on ramps or the front ? is it lower at the back or the front ? :(

I put mine on the ramps at the front and try and achieve a tail slightly down position to allow the water to drain off the rear.
Makes a mess of the back panel though. :cry:

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Same situation (Autotrail Mohican). Doesn't appear to cause any problems re water ingress but never the less I made some ramps from scaffolding planks; raise the rear enough to allow water to run of the front. This causes another issue as the design of the roof channels the water directly onto the windscreen which tends to leave residue on the screen. Not too keen on running it of the back as there is a raised seal there which would still trap some water.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Yep my Bessie's the same raised sides collects water on front, if I back on the drive ok. But then the garage and hab door is on the wrong side for loading etc. Pete

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We're the same with our Autosleeper. We had a leak where it pooled so now raise our front so it runs off the rear.
Thank goodness we don't have the level sensitive fridge anymore or couldn't do it so we would be in a right pickle.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We have the same problem with the Dakota, but at least we don't have the black streak problems that we had with our previous van(y)

Bill

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Not only does our 2005 Carioca 656 pool water, but some numpty in CI's design team decided to put a seam on the roof trim right at the point where the water is deepest, then secure it with tiny inadequate screws that rusted.

No surprises then that the model was subject to a factory recall, and ours had damp damage repaired twice under warranty.

However I'm not mad keen to park it permanently on chocks to alleviate it - I reckon that'll do buggerage to the suspension and brakes when in long-term storage. I've bought a damp meter and keep close tabs on things.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
However I'm not mad keen to park it permanently on chocks to alleviate it - I reckon that'll do buggerage to the suspension and brakes when in long-term storage. I've bought a damp meter and keep close tabs on things.

I park ours on Milenco ramps that are shaped and hold the MH without the need to apply the brakes.
It is left in gear though, just for a bit of added safety.
How leaving it on ramps will affect the suspension I can't understand.
The same amount of downforce from the MHs own weight is still on the suspension and shouldn't alter.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Our rear leaf springs are already near-level when the MH is empty, and the front wheel bearings take a lot more daily strain than the commercial vans for which they were designed, because a MH is like a permanently full van. I can't see how having the vehicle tilted towards one end or the other is going to help that, but we all have to make our own choices. I prefer to damp check the ceiling regularly and act early if I need to.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Having the MH tilted is to let the water run off to avoid pooling on the roof.
Nothing to do with suspension, but I take your point about bearings and damp checks. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back