Water collecting in the footwell of my Euramobil 810 A-Class (1 Viewer)

Jun 9, 2010
Stroud, UK
Funster No
MH
Euramobil 810
Exp
Since 2014
Hi Folks

I have a leak somewhere on my Euramobil 810 A-Class and keep getting water collect in the footwell of the front door on the driver's side. I've tried to trace the leak back to its source a few times by hoovering it out, drying it out, and then spraying a hose all over the front of the vehicle systematically to see if I can find where it's coming in, but no luck yet in finding the source.

I presume it's not coming in from the seal of the door as that's always completely dry in the testing I've done. The plywood in the walls around the door are bone dry too, so the way is not coming in from the roof and running down the walls. There is also no sign of moisture on the inside of the roof above the bed at the front of the vehicle.

Has anyone experienced something similar with this model of Euramobil?

Does anyone have any advice on finding the source of the leak?

Thanks,

Nigel

IMG_5152.jpg
IMG_5153.jpg

OP
OP
nigelivy
Jun 9, 2010
Stroud, UK
Funster No
MH
Euramobil 810
Exp
Since 2014
I forgot to mention that my van is a 2005 model.

Here's a photo of the van for reference:

NIGELIVY_20201005_2719.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Windscreen would normally be the first suspect but looking at the position of the windscreen to the door I don't think so.
Have you used the van in the wet lately as could be coming up from underneath, are there any drain holes under the carpet and the plugs have gone AWOL.

OP
OP
nigelivy
Jun 9, 2010
Stroud, UK
Funster No
MH
Euramobil 810
Exp
Since 2014
Windscreen seal leaking??
I haven't noticed a leak coming from the windscreen, but I'll take a look and see if that's the source. Thank-you!

I've heard previously that this age of a-class Euramobils are notorious for leaky windscreens, so might look at the seal anyway, even if it's not the source for this leak.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
nigelivy
Jun 9, 2010
Stroud, UK
Funster No
MH
Euramobil 810
Exp
Since 2014
Have you checked that the underside of the wheel arch and the area behind are watertight? Lots of spray gets kicked up by the front wheels.
That's where I thought the water was coming in, so I have done some work on the wheel arches. I actually sprayed the drivers' side wheel arch with Dinotrol to make sure it was sealed, but the leak has persisted after that, which leads me to think it's coming from elsewhere.

Windscreen would normally be the first suspect but looking at the position of the windscreen to the door I don't think so.
Have you used the van in the wet lately as could be coming up from underneath, are there any drain holes under the carpet and the plugs have gone AWOL.
I should have mentioned that the water is collecting when the vehicle is stationary. I haven't driven it since December and have been trying to find the source of the leak for the last couple of months, trying various things (like spraying the wheel arch) to stop the leak, but no luck yet.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Don‘t know your style van, but have you checked the heater/fan system to see if it’s getting overwhelmed by rain?

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Check the drain holes in the bottom of the drivers door are not blocked, water can come in pass the door window seal and collect in the bottom of the door until it comes in over the trim.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I should have mentioned that the water is collecting when the vehicle is stationary. I haven't driven it since December and have been trying to find the source of the leak for the last couple of months, trying various things (like spraying the wheel arch) to stop the leak, but no luck yet.
Could be the windscreen then as water can capillary long way, you can have a leak every time it rains but can never find it with a hosepipe.
Rainwater must be thinner. :rofl:

OP
OP
nigelivy
Jun 9, 2010
Stroud, UK
Funster No
MH
Euramobil 810
Exp
Since 2014
I have noticed that the top of the wheel arches, inside the "engine bay" has a fair amount of water just sitting there. I don't know where it comes from, but this might be the source?

Excuse the bad photo, but this is a horribly awkward place to get to. I got this photo by leaning right into the engine bay and extending my left arm around the battery, etc.. and snapping the photo.

IMG_4785.jpg

OP
OP
nigelivy
Jun 9, 2010
Stroud, UK
Funster No
MH
Euramobil 810
Exp
Since 2014
Don‘t know your style van, but have you checked the heater/fan system to see if it’s getting overwhelmed by rain?
I'm pretty sure that the source is external as there are no hose pipes or heaters near the driver's side door.
Check the drain holes in the bottom of the drivers door are not blocked, water can come in pass the door window seal and collect in the bottom of the door until it comes in over the trim.
Thanks! I hadn't thought of the drain holes on the bottom of the door, so will check those out.

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
Reminds me of both our Burstner 821 Elegance’s ( A class ). The under floor storage areas used to fill with an inch of water when driven on wet roads, our dealer had them back several times for warrantee remedial work but never cured the problem, we used to have to put everything in plastic boxes.
After them we had an Adria ( A class ) that leaked everywhere, even after being repaired by the factory. Long story, eventually rejected and bought British after that, and it will upset a few, no more leaks or damp.

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
When we filled our freshwater and it overflowed the volume of water was too much for the overflow pipe and it leaked from the top of the tank as the screw tops where not on tight enough.
This was a floating floor system literally.

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
When we filled our freshwater and it overflowed the volume of water was too much for the overflow pipe and it leaked from the top of the tank as the screw tops where not on tight enough.
This was a floating floor system literally.
And it ended in the drivers footwell

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
I can't see any water in the wheelarch picture #11 but if it is there I suspect that would drain nicely to the footwell:cry:. So try looking at bonnet trim or round the lights? Could also be from the windscreen I suspect. Good luck.

OP
OP
nigelivy
Jun 9, 2010
Stroud, UK
Funster No
MH
Euramobil 810
Exp
Since 2014
I can't see any water in the wheelarch picture #11 but if it is there I suspect that would drain nicely to the footwell:cry:. So try looking at bonnet trim or round the lights? Could also be from the windscreen I suspect. Good luck.
Looking at the positioning of the top of that wheel arch that gets wet when it rains (regardless of whether the vehicle is stationary or not), I’m leaning more and more towards it being either the window or windscreen.

Anyone resealed their windscreen and have any pointers/advice?

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Could it be from the scuttle. I know coach-built Fiats had a problem with the scuttle not draining but don't know if it applies to an A class?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Seen this in a "C" class Ducato based motorhome.

1615562071042.png

Water was getting in at the seam \ seal at the top of the windscreen, down inside the "A" pillar, over the wheel arch and into the drivers step area.

ps #11 could you not ask the spider to take some close-up photos for you?:whistle2:

OP
OP
nigelivy
Jun 9, 2010
Stroud, UK
Funster No
MH
Euramobil 810
Exp
Since 2014
in the photo it looks like there are tracks downwards on the wall?
I've never seen the wall wet when I've gone to look down the side of the engine bay when it's been raining, although it's not to say the water isn't running down the side, as it looks like it is.

Seen this in a "C" class Ducato based motorhome.

View attachment 472906
Water was getting in at the seam \ seal at the top of the windscreen, down inside the "A" pillar, over the wheel arch and into the drivers step area.

ps #11 could you not ask the spider to take some close-up photos for you?:whistle2:
The rubber around my windscreen does look a bit lose in places, so I think the next port of call is to seal that and see if that stops the water collecting in the footwell!
I'll be sure to ask that spider! :)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
The rubber around my windscreen does look a bit lose in places, so I think the next port of call is to seal that and see if that stops the water collecting in the footwell!
I'll be sure to ask that spider! :)
You are going to seal (or use creeping crack cure) on the side window there? Next to the windscreen too. Because as said that has run lines down from it.
I hate water ingress 🤦🏽‍♀️ Janie

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
For me too, it's either the windscreen, or the side window above the wheel arch, especially if not moved since December.

A trick I have often used, is to lightly coat a suspect area with talcum powder if you can, then check later for tracking. I once proved to Autoglass using this method, that it was their bad fitting of a rear heated screen, which caused water ingress.

Good luck sorting it out. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

MyGalSal

Free Member
Apr 1, 2018
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
This may sound crazy but... We had a Hymer A Class. Water used to appear in the footwell passenger side. Had door checked, seals replaced (BTW a new van) spray tests etc etc Drove us crazy. Finally by means of painstaking elimination my husband discovered it was coming in via the diesel filler! The black pastic bezel Wasn’t sitting tight to the side of the van - although it wasn’t obvious by just looking at it. But after pouring water over it and nowhere else sure enough that was the culprit. All my husband did to fix it was to remove filler cap, remove four screws holding the plate on. It revealed a sort of fibre washer seal. He put Vaseline on it reseated everything back into place. That simple fix cured it. We never had another problem with it in the seven years we had the van.

Mar 26, 2014
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1973
I helped a friend repair a 2003 Eura Mobil 665 Integra 2 years ago. Water had been coming in the high level marker lights on both sides which had rotted out most of the wood on both front wings. Both front double glazed windows had condensation between the glass panes.

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Hi Folks

I have a leak somewhere on my Euramobil 810 A-Class and keep getting water collect in the footwell of the front door on the driver's side. I've tried to trace the leak back to its source a few times by hoovering it out, drying it out, and then spraying a hose all over the front of the vehicle systematically to see if I can find where it's coming in, but no luck yet in finding the source.

I presume it's not coming in from the seal of the door as that's always completely dry in the testing I've done. The plywood in the walls around the door are bone dry too, so the way is not coming in from the roof and running down the walls. There is also no sign of moisture on the inside of the roof above the bed at the front of the vehicle.

Has anyone experienced something similar with this model of Euramobil?

Does anyone have any advice on finding the source of the leak?

Thanks,

Nigel

View attachment 472871View attachment 472872

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Are you sure it’s not the door seal we have a 690hbl and the lock had come loose on the inside refixed with larger screw and now sealing where before was a draft and water could be blown in

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Worth checking the door handle assembly they normally have some sort of seal between the door.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I had a similar problem with my car a while ago.
It turned out to be a blocked pipe from the air-con.
I located the pipe underneath the car and some deft work with a piece of wire managed to clear the problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back