Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Hi,
Can anyone advise me on this please! I've just completed a self service on my Ducato 2.0JTD engine, oil and filters but cant get to the Diesel Filter where the water bleed screw is without stripping out the air filter unit.

Is this something that should concern me! My thinking is with only 12,000 miles on the clock i should just leave it until I’ve got around 20,000 miles or more and then get a trained mechanic to do this for me! Do you press a button, undo a screw or what!
Also, I note the steel bands that connect the air hose to the filter do not have the traditional screw thread to loosen or tighten them. The ones I have fitted seem to have some form of fold in them and I guess they need a special tool!
Again, i would be grate full if anyone out there could advise me. I've done all the hard work now and saved a lot of money but just need to know how to bleed of any water should I have to in an emergency.

Regards,
Philip

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
have you checked the service schedule to see if you need to bleed any water off ?
i dont know how to get to the bleed screw but there should be a light on the dash which will light up to inform you if it does need bleeding off.
i would have thought at 12,000mls it was a bit early.
i'm sure Geo will put you right.

those clips are a bloody nusience. replace the with good old 'jubillee clips'

so much easier next time.

john.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks John,
Your right! There is a warning light that tells me when I have to bleed water off but I have never experienced this coming on before and don’t know if I can continue to drive for x number of miles or need to bleed the water off straight away.

Regards,
Philip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the light should indicate there is water in the filter but it will only be a very small amount so it should be safe to drive for a while.
re.. remove airbox to access fuel filter............its a while since i had a jtd engine so i cant remember where the air filter box is but it shouldnt be too difficult to remove. the bleed is normally a nylon thumb screw under the filter canister itself(part of the filter) if you are a double jointed contorsionist :ROFLMAO:you might be able to reach it in situ.
the hose clips can sometimes be 'undone' by placing a pair of pliers either side of the crimp and twisting so the two halves slide sideways and spring free otherwise a junior hacksaw never fails but they are a swine to put back hence replace with jubillee clips. depends if its still under warrenty.

john.

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
My Ducato handbook says that the 'water in the diesel' light should come on for two or three seconds when the ignition is first switched on and then go out. An excessive amount of water in the fuel causes the light to stay on for a lot longer.

Phil.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Unfortunately I can't remember if it was on the 2.5 Peugeot (1996) or the 2.5 Ford (1997):Doh:, but the fuel / water warning light used to come on for fun. Drained the water doo-dah several times (never any water) - no result. I was told that the replacement sensor cost quite a bit of money so I just made a point of checking every so often.
Probably not a lot of help to you in this instance, but a snippet to file in the back of your mind.:thumb:::bigsmile:

John

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Philip In your situation leave well alone, the water drain off is part of the water sensor unit and very fragile in the wrong hands, as Phil says also very expensive £50 + and if you break that it sort of negates any savings you made on the diy service, wait till the light comes on and run it into a local Garage for a new filter not just a drain off
also we would recommend an annual check of the wheel bearings and braking system, regardless of miles covered, we have on many occasions had to break of components that have not been serviced for an extended time, I am all in favour of DIY servicing but do it the old fashion way (Full Service every 12 months), do not use the extended service intervals as offered by todays modern manufacturers it is false economy, and designed to make them money, not save
you any
Geo
as an example glow plugs if fitted do not need changing very often, as a result when they do they can snap in the cylinder head costing 100 times the cost of removing them every couple of years:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back