Free Member
Apr 13, 2018
Leigh-on-Sea
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
I recently met a motor homer in France who said he has a 256gb memory stick which he records all the programmes he wants to watch on to it from his home TV whilst he is at home. I assume he downloads the programmes such as films and sport. He then just plugs the memory stick into the USB on his MH tv when he's away.
Not sure how he does this, any ideas?

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I do the same - record several films to a usb stick and then watch them while we're away.

The tv I have in the van has a record to usb ability so when we're at home the tv gets put in the bedroom and I just record stuff and then move the tv into the van when we're away.

Lots of TVs that have a USB port allow you to do this.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have a few hundred feature films on a 1Tb external drive but it's rare that we want to watch anything. Also have Netflix and Amazon video on tablets.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

xgx

Free Member
Jul 7, 2016
North Cambs/South Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
umptynine years
I have a couple of Humax boxes, one for the house, one for the van.
I swap them over when I go away and catch up on all those progs that I've recorded to watch when I have time ...

...still bring most of them back cos I'd rather have a glass and a book ;)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We use a 1tb Humax freesat box for tv in Spain,we load it up before we go and normal tv once back in the south of France via sat dish.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
It's a bit of a faff but you can wire up a Slingbox and watch all your home recorded stuff over the net, including live tv and box sets (y)

OP
OP
Le'geom

Le'geom

Free Member
Apr 13, 2018
Leigh-on-Sea
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
Used to have a Slingbox but had a lot of trouble with it and found out that they were no longer supporting it in Europe. I don't think you can buy them now.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Recording on a USB stick and playing back on the same TV is fine but often won't work if you try and playback on a different TV. They often use different codecs on the video files and TV's unlike computers you can't just download codecs to get it working.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
If you have a Humax get the Hummy tv software. https://hummy.tv/forum/
This enables you to record without encryption, set up recordings remotely over the internet, and many other features. Its free. I have 2 Humax boxes at home and I do just as described by others, record series drama and films, I copy them over to my server and can access them over the internet when abroad but for ease download what I want onto a 1tb USB drive and just plug that into my TV on the van. Never actually watch all of the stuff, we do an hour in the evening when we come back from eating out or a couple of hours if we are staying in. With Netflix and Prime there is more than enough to entertain us, and if we need to see something live, like the wedding yesterday then watch BBCiplayer over vpn.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just as an aside we watched the wedding yesterday on iPlayer in Spain without using a VPN.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Just as an aside we watched the wedding yesterday on iPlayer in Spain without using a VPN.
Didn't even try as I just assumed it would block it! Especially as they wont let me cast to my TV at the moment. Radio player would not let me listen to 5 live for the GP last weekend until I flipped on the vpn but happy on any other service or channel. Wierd, there is no logic to adhere to! Anyway thanks for that I will check next time to see what happens, (not the next Royal wedding!!)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have found that there are loads and loads of music video's and good documentaries on YouTube.
I use a free software program called 4K Video Downloader to download and copy the YouTube video's in MP4 format to a USB stick which we then use in the TV for the times we are out of satellite range and want something to watch.
https://www.4kdownload.com/products/product-videodownloader

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
We use android box for tv. and I pad for sky go, both need internet.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Didn't even try as I just assumed it would block it!
Since free roaming came in last year if you are using a UK SIM you can watch all the catch up programs They will still get blocked if you use a local WiFi connection.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Since free roaming came in last year if you are using a UK SIM you can watch all the catch up programs They will still get blocked if you use a local WiFi connection.
Thanks, I did not know that, but with only 12gb and the wife watching the wedding for bloody hours I suspect I would have blown that, but its very handy to know for the radio for example which I use my phone for all the time, and that wont be so greedy on data. AND just thinking thats why my GP on 5 live needed the vpn, because I was using the strong site wifi here in Croatia!! Double thanks Lenny!
@DBK were you on site wifi or mobile data as Lenny has inferred?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks, I did not know that, but with only 12gb and the wife watching the wedding for bloody hours I suspect I would have blown that, but its very handy to know for the radio for example which I use my phone for all the time, and that wont be so greedy on data. AND just thinking thats why my GP on 5 live needed the vpn, because I was using the strong site wifi here in Croatia!! Double thanks Lenny!
@DBK were you on site wifi or mobile data as Lenny has inferred?
I was using a UK Vodafone sim. It only buffered once for few moments during the whole broadcast. :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Maybe because it was a major event they turned off the checks....
I have always been able to get it for over a year now, possibly longer. From memory it started after they invited you to register with an email address.

But it uses a lot of data, around 1Gb an hour roughly. Downloading a programme from iPlayer seems to use a bit less .

OP
OP
Le'geom

Le'geom

Free Member
Apr 13, 2018
Leigh-on-Sea
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
If you have a Humax get the Hummy tv software. https://hummy.tv/forum/
This enables you to record without encryption, set up recordings remotely over the internet, and many other features. Its free. I have 2 Humax boxes at home and I do just as described by others, record series drama and films, I copy them over to my server and can access them over the internet when abroad but for ease download what I want onto a 1tb USB drive and just plug that into my TV on the van. Never actually watch all of the stuff, we do an hour in the evening when we come back from eating out or a couple of hours if we are staying in. With Netflix and Prime there is more than enough to entertain us, and if we need to see something live, like the wedding yesterday then watch BBCiplayer over vpn.

OP
OP
Le'geom

Le'geom

Free Member
Apr 13, 2018
Leigh-on-Sea
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
Thanks Michael, Not quite sure what you mean by "I copy them over to my server". Maybe my understanding of a "server" is throwing me curve ball.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Thanks Michael, Not quite sure what you mean by "I copy them over to my server". Maybe my understanding of a "server" is throwing me curve ball.
Sorry I have a home network with a NAS on it, the Humaxs are on it too. Forget that you can just put any USB device onto the Humax and copy over. However Hummey software only works on certain Humax models so you need to be confident in your understanding. Read the forum stuff and you will learn more.

Jan 16, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt low profile
Exp
Since 2016
We simply record onto the BT box and playback on the Moho tv. Great for watching dramas as box sets.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back