Watching U.K. TV in Europe (1 Viewer)

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
I have a couple of questions please. I would like to be able to watch an occasional BBC/ITV programme while we are in France & Spain. I have used U.K. TV in Spain before now but that no longer streams U.K. programmes as it used to use Film On which now charges. It looks like Film On charges £14.95 a month. One suggestion when I searched this site was to use a website Watchuktvabroad. This looks better as is only £4.99 a month for what we would use. However it appears to work by using a VPN. I am just not sure how safe all these things are. I thought about using a VPN but it sounded complicated. Also if you use something like this does that mean anything you send or look at goes through this VPN thingy?? or in the case of the TV website one is it just when you are watching TV. Sorry long question but I just can’t find a simple answer anywhere and don’t want to mess all my internet stuff up. Thanks

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
We’ve found that the TVCatchUp app (free, iPads - don’t know if there’s an Android version) mostly works ok - does stick/repeat sometimes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Had no problems with mobdro ,kodi and terrarium on a recent trip France /Spain on firestick .lappy and tablet.free using 3 data of course:)
IMG_20171001_091804.jpg
IMG_20171001_144133.png

Frankiej

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
26 years
Have a VPN on ipad, no problem with it, allows us to watch iPlayer and other catchup channels abroad. It is also installed on my laptop and can put on the iPhone if needed. I do pay an annual fee for it, but it is relatively cheap and one payment allows me to put it on several devices.
Also have this amazing gizmo which is usb at one end and lightning connector at the other. Load virtually any format of movies, tv etc via usb from the laptop and then play on the iPad, never failed yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 47

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Have a VPN on ipad, no problem with it, allows us to watch iPlayer and other catchup channels abroad. It is also installed on my laptop and can put on the iPhone if needed. I do pay an annual fee for it, but it is relatively cheap and one payment allows me to put it on several devices.
Also have this amazing gizmo which is usb at one end and lightning connector at the other. Load virtually any format of movies, tv etc via usb from the laptop and then play on the iPad, never failed yet.
Did you have to enable anything to use iplayer abroad because I tried in France in September on my iPad and I kept getting an access denied message.

Frankiej

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
26 years
Did you have to enable anything to use iplayer abroad because I tried in France in September on my iPad and I kept getting an access denied message.

No I just used the VPN that is installed on the iPad and it worked straight from the iPlayer app.
I use PIA VPN if you search you can find it on google.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
I think that if you’re using a uk sim, the iPlayer now works in Europe. Certainly, although we can’t get it to work here in Portugal using a Portuguese sim, my wife had no problem with it on her phone using a Tesco sim. But it does use a fair bit of data - I’be heard 500 Meg an hour mentioned.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Had no problems with mobdro ,kodi and terrarium on a recent trip France /Spain on firestick .lappy and tablet.free using 3 data of course:)
View attachment 192103 View attachment 192105

Am I seeng things, the dash lights and side lights are on and the speedo shows 10KPH, the rev counter is just under 10K revs which indicates the vehicle is moving/being driven but both sat nav show speed of zero though clearly route is in progress. The vehicle is not positioned on the road as if it had pulled over. I am reminded of polish lorry driver who was caught watching a video on a laptop in the UK when driving, I think the Courts took a very dim view, (excuse the pun)

Deleted User
I watch UK tv abroad on my ipad using the BBC iplayer. I downloaded a VPN app called Tunnel Bear. It is so easy to use, you do nothing other than agree a week, month or annual pass,, very competitive rates, all routings entries etc done for you, just download and watch it tunnel its way through for you. Simple, fool proof and not so expensive that it is worth faffing with a manual free app.

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you all so much for your replies. Will now have a good read and decide best option. I was just worried about messing all my settings up. Thank you @JollyRoger but not sure I understand what any of those are but have heard of Kodi. Now Hobgoblin I do know about!!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I pay and use Film on TV,,,,,Cheap price of wine etc subsidies the cost,,BUSBY..

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks @busby. Can yo watch any catch up on this or just live tv. I looked at the website and it looks like you can record though.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Thanks @busby. Can yo watch any catch up on this or just live tv. I looked at the website and it looks like you can record though.
Not sure about catch up but loads of channels,,BUSBY,,

ReliablePerson

Free Member
May 8, 2019
Funster No
I have a couple of questions please. I would like to be able to watch an occasional BBC/ITV programme while we are in France & Spain. I have used U.K. TV in Spain before now but that no longer streams U.K. programmes as it used to use Film On which now charges. It looks like Film On charges £14.95 a month. One suggestion when I searched this site was to use a website Watchuktvabroad. This looks better as is only £4.99 a month for what we would use. However it appears to work by using a VPN. I am just not sure how safe all these things are. I thought about using a VPN but it sounded complicated. Also if you use something like this does that mean anything you send or look at goes through this VPN thingy?? or in the case of the TV website one is it just when you are watching TV. Sorry long question but I just can’t find a simple answer anywhere and don’t want to mess all my internet stuff up. Thanks

Sorry for bringing up an old topic. Anyone use smart dns for BBC iPlayer on smart TV?
I want to stream it to my TV without VPN.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Tried it you can get catch up on your lap top and then li k it to your tv with a cable.Watched last episode of The Bay and Line of Duty last weekend.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back