Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
Is Downloader a different tool for sideloading or just an alternative to APPs2Fire?

With Downloader how I've used it & seen on the Cinema HD example, you need to know the URL of the app package you need.
Hi I used Apps2fire as all I needed to do was have App I wanted working on my phone and transfer it by apps2fire to the firestick,
I Think that downloader is just another way to download to fire Stick

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
how much data you use will very much depend on how much tv you watch, but it is data hungry so half a gig per hour approximately. I am on an unlimited plan in uk which is limited when travelling. The vodafone 100gb contract though allows you to use all 100gb abroad
Thanks for your help. So I take it that most people have vodaphone 100gb. I'll have a look at it.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Any Firestick won't be much use south of Bordeaux after a week or two without a huge roaming data allowance. Superdrug mobile Unlimited works for me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 12, 2009
Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit
Exp
Since 2007
Another "thickie" question, doesn't FS and any other streaming device depend on strength of Internet signal. I have tried using data sim, tethering from phone but never quite get a decent "view" in weak spot areas. Perhaps not got right SIM, currently SMARTY. Perhaps FS is more reliable?
Yes it does, you will get a better signal using a roof mounted aerial (5x stronger) than just your mobile. Good MiFi system helps

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Another "thickie" question, doesn't FS and any other streaming device depend on strength of Internet signal. I have tried using data sim, tethering from phone but never quite get a decent "view" in weak spot areas. Perhaps not got right SIM, currently SMARTY. Perhaps FS is more reliable?
Definitely - installed in a Huawei MiFi modem on the outskirts of Stafford my 3 network SIM shows about 0.8Mb compared to my O2 SIM showing about 12Mb on Speedtest. This effectively means that the 3 SIM is useless

Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
Surely the Firestick player doesn't demand 4K streams for a HD telly :eek:
Either way, you can choose different quality stream qualities in Settings.

Streaming is client device based. So there should be different quality streams for bandwidth available and a device's resolution capabilities.
e.g. watching YouTube videos on your iPhone outside on 3G you'll get say, mid quality. Walk indoors during playback of same YT video into your home with cable based wifi & you'll start pulling high quality content for that video, with no user intervention.

It's ABR streaming.
You can certainly limit the quality and the Firestick should automatically download at the optimum quality for the speed of your connection but if it's a good connection, with the standard automatic settings it won't necessary reduce the quality of the download. So I've been told anyway, may be incorrect but I have turned down the quality to be on the safe side!

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
You can certainly limit the quality and the Firestick should automatically download at the optimum quality for the speed of your connection but if it's a good connection, with the standard automatic settings it won't necessary reduce the quality of the download. So I've been told anyway, may be incorrect but I have turned down the quality to be on the safe side!
Looks like you've got it.
I think you've described a scenario where manual intervention in settings is needed (y)
If you have a good download speed and a viewing device connected capable of a high quality picture a Firestick would choose the best available version of the video being viewed. To limit data usage you'd have to use the settings for a lower quality setting.

Mar 22, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V line 635se
Exp
Caravanner since 1993
I've just ordered the new non 4k firestick £29 black deal, for 2 reasons. The new sticks have half as much again operating memory on the chip and a faster processors and rewritten internal operators. And our current one in the van is our old first 4k box so it's bigger. Ie the new one is the slim standard size and as I have bought the base HD one it can't download at high data rates by accident as its not 4k. It will perform less clunky and should solve the occasional sound syncing problem that you van get on earlier sticks. Got the 4k one too to swop out at home and connecting it by ethernet adaptor and cable for best streaming performance, at £ 29 it's pretty much a bargain upgrade in both scenarios. Oh and it's got Alexa if we need to use it, not that we do on the stick at any rate.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I've just ordered the new non 4k firestick £29 black deal, for 2 reasons. The new sticks have half as much again operating memory on the chip and a faster processors and rewritten internal operators. And our current one in the van is our old first 4k box so it's bigger. Ie the new one is the slim standard size and as I have bought the base HD one it can't download at high data rates by accident as its not 4k. It will perform less clunky and should solve the occasional sound syncing problem that you van get on earlier sticks. Got the 4k one too to swop out at home and connecting it by ethernet adaptor and cable for best streaming performance, at £ 29 it's pretty much a bargain upgrade in both scenarios. Oh and it's got Alexa if we need to use it, not that we do on the stick at any rate.
:eek: what you bought & what you had?

There is a recently launched 3rd generation HD Firestick at £24.99 reduced from £39.99
And the only one so far 4K Firestick at £29.99 reduced from £49.99

The new HD FS is in a physical package a lot like the 4K FS but with less RAM (& a cap on resolution to 1080P)

edit: [pedant]the FS will always grab the best video stream it can unless the user sets lower quality settings. It's by design not an accident ;)[/pedant]

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I prefer Skygo. Download your programmes when you have WIFI. Works legally all over western Europe without VPN

I have a VPN but BBC iplayer keeps beating it but with Skygo you can watch everything except BBC

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Guy's I run a server full of movies, complete TV series, documentaries and music. If you interested in joining my server PM me for details. Runs in any TV, phone or tablet (great on a Firestick) all you need to do is install an app and PM me. There is a sub required (very small) and 48 hr passes given to check it out.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Guy's I run a server full of movies, complete TV series, documentaries and music. If you interested in joining my server PM me for details. Runs in any TV, phone or tablet (great on a Firestick) all you need to do is install an app and PM me. There is a sub required (very small) and 48 hr passes given to check it out.
and of course its all legal and above board :whistle2:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
It is my private server and I do not sell it the sub is for running costs. Your right not legal as such but then watching BBC ITV etc on a firestick outside UK is not legal................ and IPTV is not legal but loads use it.......

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
The BBC would like TV licence users to be able to stream & download their content when we're abroad.
Not sure Warner Bros want us watching their content off a private server.
Source of BBC stance here

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I've been reading this thread with interest because like Scattycat I don't get it.

How much data do you have and how much do you use in a month? My provider has a fair usage policy of 20gig a month max. Using it for streaming and internet just doesn't last the month. Am I missing something?
It's worth phoning your current provider and telling them you've been happy with them but leaving to vodaphone as you need a lot more data. They often have add-ons on their system that they can give you for more data per month.

I told EE I was going with another provider and they found 3 add-ons they were allowed to give me to keep me with them. 96GB per month I get with them now. I've only ran out of data about 3 times over 2 years.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
It's worth phoning your current provider and telling them you've been happy with them but leaving to vodaphone as you need a lot more data. They often have add-ons on their system that they can give you for more data per month.

I told EE I was going with another provider and they found 3 add-ons they were allowed to give me to keep me with them. 96GB per month I get with them now. I've only ran out of data about 3 times over 2 years.
I've got two sim only providers. Giffgaff for phone and Three unlimited for data. Giffgaff only allow two months continuous use in Europe so that's a problem and Three data allows three months which is fine but fair usage is 19gb. a month. I don't think either of these would run to 100gb. I know I could do much better but I've been lazy about changing. While we're not going abroad it isn't such an issue but I should get it sorted.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I've been reading this thread with interest because like Scattycat I don't get it.

How much data do you have and how much do you use in a month? My provider has a fair usage policy of 20gig a month max. Using it for streaming and internet just doesn't last the month. Am I missing something?
Vodaphone 100 gb 20 pounds a month.Dont go for the unlimited one as they limit it abroad.BUSBY.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
It is my private server and I do not sell it the sub is for running costs. Your right not legal as such but then watching BBC ITV etc on a firestick outside UK is not legal................ and IPTV is not legal but loads use it.......
The BBC would like TV licence users to be able to stream & download their content when we're abroad.
Not sure Warner Bros want us watching their content off a private server.
Source of BBC stance here
kevenh I not sure what is funny about my post, perhaps you know better........................
I must’ve seen something between you, the BBC and Warner Bros that was worth a smiley 🤷‍♂️

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
Vodaphone 100 gb 20 pounds a month.Dont go for the unlimited one as they limit it abroad.BUSBY.
We're on a 60gb monthly contract with Vodafone, £20 a month, but it cuts off at 20gb now that we're in Portugal. Is this 100gb deal a new one? How can they allow full usage abroad? We will try changing if it's that good.

Deleted User
To save data on an Amazon Firestick turn on Data Monitoring in the menus then you can adjust the quality, lower uses less but you'll be pressed to notice the difference.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Watching BBC iplayer outside the UK is not illegal. That's so long as you are not publicly displaying it. Sharing films via a server is whether you are charging or not

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We're on a 60gb monthly contract with Vodafone, £20 a month, but it cuts off at 20gb now that we're in Portugal. Is this 100gb deal a new one? How can they allow full usage abroad? We will try changing if it's that good.
I have had 100 gb deal now for 2 years..Renewed it last Jan with no bother.Always get my full data each month..Use it at home in the house instead of land line internet.BUSBY.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Have you tried an online chat and asked why you are being restricted as your 60GB contract should all be available in the EU.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
I put this on another thread but it looks a good deal, buy the mifi and contract with 3 . I have 3 and have used it throughout Europe for 4 years with no restrictions, i use the full 100 gb if needed. <Broken link removed>

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I have an old phone with Netflix, Prime and BBC iPlayer. I download a lot of stuff to the phone before a trip and if I have good WiFi I can stream live, if not I can download more stuff on free WiFi when out and about

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back