Watch out. The old " Please Be Of Help................." virus is about again (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I received a message a short while ago supposedly from somebody I'm in touch with occasionally. Easy to spot though because the person in question uses his second name, not Arthur.

The e-mail (supposedly) comes from the person's valid address but the reply address (though similar) is different.

As the X-Mailer is YahooMailWebService it may be connected with the recent Yahoo hacks.

Hello,

Hope you get this on time, We made a trip to Vinnytsya Ukraine and had our bags stolen from us with our phones and credit cards in it. The embassy is willing to help by letting us fly back home since we still have our passports, We just have to pay for our ticket and settle Hotel bills. Unfortunately for us, I don't have access to funds without my credit card, I've made contact with my bank but they need more time to come up with a new one. I was thinking of asking you to lend me (£2,550GBP) that I can give back as soon as We get home. We really need to be on the next available flight. I'm so confused at the moment I need urgent help.

Western Union is the best option to send money to us. Let me know if you need my details(Full names and Present location) you can also reach me via email.I promise to refund it in full as soon as we return. let me know if you can be of any assistance. Please, let me know soonest. Thanks so much.

All hopes on you.

Best Regards
Arthur

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
:Angry:We had the same thing at Camping Floarantilles... on the way to Jim`s Marjal meet...

The wife was on her puter sending e,mails..... and there was this horrible screeching noise from her puter...

She shut down and within hours she was getting texts and phone calls from all her email addresses...

They all said what`s up,,,, we were supposed to have been at Malaga airport,,,, been robbed of all money and cards and couldn`t buy a ticket to fly home...:Doh:

Every one knew we were in the motorhome ,,, so didn`t get nothing from her friends etc...

The first to phone was our Frankie (Yodeli) club member...

Caused a lot of grief.... bastards.. :Angry:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We had an email from a deaf girl I used to support - they were supposedly in South America on holiday and had their passports and money stolen. I knew it wasn't her though, as the language used was that of a hearing person as opposed to the linguistics and syntax used by a profoundly deaf person.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Whilst annoying to receive it is a lot more annoying to have your account hijacked like this. It happened to me about a couple of years ago. I still don't know how they did it. I know all about not taking sweets from or talking to strangers but they still managed to take over my account and sent out an e-mail from me to everyone on my contact list, which at the time was nearly 2000 people as it had all my work contacts on it. Apparently I was in Manila without a ticket.

The clever bit was they also hijacked my mail account and put a redirection on it so if anyone did reply to the email, which would have been to my correct email address it didn't get to me as it was immediately diverted off to another address. I only found out about this because I simply stopped getting email - which made it an excellent spam filter but it also stopped me getting e-mails I did want.

Needless to say it took some time (nearly a couple of days) to identify the problem and sort it out. I had a backup of the contacts as well although in the end I didn't use it as I took this as an opportunity to weed out those I didn't need any more - being retired. And none of them on the list sent any money - so good riddance to them all!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Oooooo .... errrrr ..... apparently I'm due a tax refund!

Dear .....

After the last yearly computations of your financial functioning we have defined that you have the right to obtain a tax rebate of 934.80. Please confirm the tax rebate claim and permit us have 6-9 days so that we execute it. A rebate can be postponed for a variety of reasons. For instance confirming unfounded data or applying not in time.

To access the form for your tax rebate, view the report attached. Document Reference: (92054568).

Regards, HM Revenue Service. We apologize for the inconvenience.

The security and confidentiality of your personal information is important for us. If you have any questions, please either call the toll-free customer service phone number.
© 2014, all rights reserved

Like I'd believe this!!!! ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
One way to prevent your address book being hacked is not to store addresses in a webmail or mail client address book. Another precaution is to use a mail client less attractive to hackers - one of the reasons I refuse to use Lookout/Lookout Distress.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
A friend once suggested that I open a new free email account, starting, aaaaaaaaaa @-------.co .uk or .com etc. making sure to list it in my address book.
The idea being that if the address book was hijacked, the first email sent out would be to the fictitious account which would be the first in the address book, thereby alerting me to the fact that something untoward, was romping around the address book

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I received a 'help'email from a chum of mine,stating he had been robbed in Manila.
I thought what a bonus air travel is especially as I was talking to him face to face that morning, when did they scrap Concorde?!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back