Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
Hi

We recently had a problem with out waste water in that it wouldn't shut off. It has been partially replaced to fix the problem but now needs a tool to open and close the outlet.

The fitter swears blind he left the tool in the MH when he fixed it but if he did it has spontaneously combusted!

I now deperately need to get one before Friday! There is a grey square nut maybe 10 or 12 mm square that I assume a sort of box spanner fits over to turn. Apparently a lot of german models have this sort of thing. No size of socket will fit it due to it being square.

Does anyone know where I can get one quickly as we are due to be away this weekend?

Thanks

Jen

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
adjustable spanner would do it..

none in your tool box ?

if not, any DIY or tool store

OP
OP
GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
nut.jpg
The thing is recessed in a hole only slightly bigger so you can't get a spanner round it. It is the square nut in the round hole on this photo (sounds like play school!).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Hi

We recently had a problem with out waste water in that it wouldn't shut off. It has been partially replaced to fix the problem but now needs a tool to open and close the outlet.

The fitter swears blind he left the tool in the MH when he fixed it but if he did it has spontaneously combusted!

I now deperately need to get one before Friday! There is a grey square nut maybe 10 or 12 mm square that I assume a sort of box spanner fits over to turn. Apparently a lot of german models have this sort of thing. No size of socket will fit it due to it being square.

Does anyone know where I can get one quickly as we are due to be away this weekend?

Thanks

Jen
Measure the exact size of the square nut and go buy a spanner from diy store, or as scotjimlad suggests, an adjustable spanner for the time being. Make sure you adjust to a firm fit.
Edit: just seen update picture.
Measure the size, buy a cheap spanner and bend the handle at 90 deg close to the business end of the spanner, if you get a long enough spanner, bend the other end 90 opposite way to act as a handle.
This could be done in a decent vice by use of a hammer, wear protective goggles and a bit of heat applied to area to be bent will make it easier..
If you have a socket set, try the 3/8" or 1/2" extention bar for size on the nut for size, it may give you another idea if it fits ok, you could just buy a cheap extention bar a get that bent at a 90 degree angle, may work better than a spanner

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It doesn't look square to me, are you sure you cant get a socket on it?

Failing that the adjustable end on would still get it, but you will need a small one to get in that hole (y)

OP
OP
GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
The photo isn't great as it is so far underneath! It is definitely square though.

OP
OP
GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
Measure the exact size of the square nut and go buy a spanner from diy store, or as scotjimlad suggests, an adjustable spanner for the time being. Make sure you adjust to a firm fit or you could soon round off the plastic corners of the nut.
Yeah - we have tools coming out of our ears - hubby is a mad mountain biker and has more spanners and sockets than could ever conceivable be needed.

Nowt fits this though! We could have forced a socket on but it was rounding the corners (whcih is why it maybe doesn't look sqaure).

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
A 12 point socket will fit a square and hexagon nut - good tool shop will stock them.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
View attachment 91872 The thing is recessed in a hole only slightly bigger so you can't get a spanner round it. It is the square nut in the round hole on this photo (sounds like play school!).
hmm.. not so easy then.. needs that 'special key' ...

if you were handy you could make a key using a piece of steel conduit with two notches cut in the end

sorry can't help further

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Broken Link Removed

Buy these box spanner sat screw fix only a tenner and one will fit..(y)

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Is this the type of thing? This is the one we have for our van which is German
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
A set of moles grips would probably do, is that what you mean by gator grips

Broken Link Removed

still could be an issue with the hole size though

best of luck (y)

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
OP
OP
GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
A set of moles grips would probably do, is that what you mean by gator grips

Broken Link Removed

still could be an issue with the hole size though

best of luck (y)
No you can't get mole grips in - tried that I'm afraid.

This is a gator grip Broken Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
How big is it ?

1/2" 3/8" 1/4" ?

If so you could use a regular socket backwards....the square end on the nut.
A regular socket extension bar will then fit the other end of the back to front socket (where the nut would usually fit)....one size socket or another WILL fit the extension bar

OP
OP
GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
Just had a call back from the fitter who now denies the story of a tool (that he told me himself several times) and says he cut a hole in the garage floor and the handle is there!

My answer (very restrained for me) was "you better not have cut a hole in the floor of our heated garage!!!!!!" Wil have a look when I get home tonight.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Just had a call back from the fitter who now denies the story of a tool (that he told me himself several times) and says he cut a hole in the garage floor and the handle is there!

My answer (very restrained for me) was "you better not have cut a hole in the floor of our heated garage!!!!!!" Wil have a look when I get home tonight.
:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

Hurry home, this is getting very interesting now o_O

Lookaround

Free Member
Sep 23, 2015
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2004
This is the tool I have for my Possl PVC. The inside of the square measures 8mm and the first part of the tool itself is about 3 inches, then the corner and then the handle part is about 6 inches. My release valve is at the edge of the van so if I lost this tool is be able to use a wrench - even though it is a very stiff its only a quarter of a turn. I'm not sure if these measurements are of any use but hopefully you'll get sorted soon.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 47

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I just get the wife to crawl underneath when it's full. She does a great job, and I don't even get a splash. I do help her though, (in case you think that I'm a callous, using type of guy), I hold her handbag. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back