Free Member
Jul 15, 2017
Spain
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F low profile
Exp
Seven years
I've got a Rapido 7090F on a 59 plate and a Ducato chassis. I'm trying to clean out the waste water tank (I don't think it's ever been done in all the habitation services I've had). I've successfully removed the protective cover but the plug itself won't budge. I've attached a picture of the trap. It's 14cms in diameter. I tried to fashion a tool to give me extra purchase by putting screws into the back of a wooden hand brush, but the brush broke. Is there a specific tool I need for the job?

Attachments

• IMG_1660.JPG
    IMG_1660.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 70

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I've got a Rapido 7090F on a 59 plate and a Ducato chassis. I'm trying to clean out the waste water tank (I don't think it's ever been done in all the habitation services I've had). I've successfully removed the protective cover but the plug itself won't budge. I've attached a picture of the trap. It's 14cms in diameter. I tried to fashion a tool to give me extra purchase by putting screws into the back of a wooden hand brush, but the brush broke. Is there a specific tool I need for the job?
Tbf, I've never known a waste water tank to be touched or even looked at during a habitation check. Never seen it on the standard hab forms.

OP
OP
M

Martin Wells

Free Member
Jul 15, 2017
Spain
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F low profile
Exp
Seven years
Thanks for that. You're right and we haven't got a massive problem with odour or anything. I just feel as if I should give it a bit of a clear out as we're in a hot part of Spain at the moment and I've got a bit of time on my hands while my wife sits and sews!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 1, 2016
Chesham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since April 2016
I wonder if the problem is that the waste water has calcified the thread of the plug (from the inside) so effectively gluing the lid shut.

Options may be to introduce cleaning fluid or similar and allow to work on the blockage but that may take multiple applications. You could try a stronger tool maybe some wood that slots over the handle and give you very large leverage. A possible final option is to purchase a replacement plug and cut the old one out.

Hope that helps.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Thanks for that. You're right and we haven't got a massive problem with odour or anything. I just feel as if I should give it a bit of a clear out as we're in a hot part of Spain at the moment and I've got a bit of time on my hands while my wife sits and sews!
Occasionally we get an (obnoxious) odour after emptying. After lots of threads on here, we put cheap Coca-Cola (Aldi 17p) down after emptying then drive and it sloshes around and cleans it and odour gone.

OP
OP
M

Martin Wells

Free Member
Jul 15, 2017
Spain
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F low profile
Exp
Seven years
Yes, we tried that but it had no effect. We got some Dettol and put that down one of the sinks which seemed to work better and we don't have such bad smells any more. But I still feel the tank needs a good manual clearout every now and again.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
2 or 3 bottles of cheap cola down a plughole....the cheaper the better, Aldi, lidl etc.....and go for a long drive on bendy roads to slosh the cola around, fill the tank with water then empty the tank.
Never felt the need but others swear by it.

Chances are you'll break the plastic blade out of the bung before the bung moves.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That plug does not look big enough for an inpection hatch are you sure there isn't a bigger one hidding behind a panel that needs removing to get at it?

I've never had any luck using coke or orange, I find the Thetford waste tank cleaner works well and bio washing liquid works but not quite as well.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you don't put grease down the sink the tank will be spotless - but smelly. Use a full bottle of Domestos bleach, fill the tank, and leave until next time you want to use the van. In future only close the drain when needed - leave it open whenever the tank is empty.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you don't put grease down the sink the tank will be spotless - but smelly. Use a full bottle of Domestos bleach, fill the tank, and leave until next time you want to use the van. In future only close the drain when needed - leave it open whenever the tank is empty.
A bit risky unless you know what the seals are made from, bleach can attack some plastic/rubber compounds.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Biological washing liquid, down all the plug holes , drive around for a day or two, no odour and a clean tank.
We also use it in the loo cassette and it is spotless.
It DEFINATELY works.
Mitch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back