Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
And another question!!!!

I've been working through our van correcting all those niggling problems, mostly electrical - lights etc.

Today, I climbed beneath our Burstner to investigate where the wiring for the number plate light had disappeared to :whatthe:. In fact, there were no bulbs or holders either! I have new replacements.

Anyway, I guess I located the waste water outlet valve.
UndersidetakenfromRear7-1.jpg

It's not exactly easily accessible!

Is this the norm or do most vans locate the valve on the outside of the van? I'm sure I could easily fit an extension tube.

Just interested to hear from others.

I'm off to the van with my soldering iron to fit new connectors, light fittings and bulbs :roflmto: Loving pottering.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
personally id extend it to somewhere more accessible and put the tap on the end with a small elbow so if you have to use one of those waste water containers you can.

my waste drain tap is inside a locker on the side of the van being a double floor and has a bayonet fitting under the side to connect a hose to if i cant get over a manhole or have to use the silly black jerry can thing.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
looks, from the pic. like the tap is part of the tank adaptor and cant be moved.

simply buy a new valve and a length of convoluted hose and position the valve/tap where you want it then leave the existing valve open all the time.

also wondering how it past previous MOT's with no number plate lights

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Ours used to be piped to a flexible hose that clipped up under the van behind the rear left wheel. I have now hard piped it, flexi connection from tank to first bit of pipe. I have lagged it as well. The valve is easily accessible and easy to turn so now Mrs Brown directs me over the drain point and opens it.:Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile:

Gordon

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ours used to be piped to a flexible hose that clipped up under the van behind the rear left wheel. I have now hard piped it, flexi connection from tank to first bit of pipe. I have lagged it as well. The valve is easily accessible and easy to turn so now Mrs Brown directs me over the drain point and opens it.:Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile:

Gordon
Agree rigid pipe is better but if not secured fully it can crack with vibration, as did the one on my last van.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our Burstner has a drain tap easily accessible when standing at the offside of the van (matching the description in the handbook). I've never looked underneath to check whether it is connected to an arrangement as in the pic.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Thanks for the info. I think I'll investigate the hard pipe option and bring the valve to somewhere more accessible. I'll have to check the diameter of the existing Tefen valve.

The MOT was last October so it must have been okay at that time. I've just fitted 2 new fittings and renewed the wiring and connectors. I've also moved the number plate back to it's poper location- the previous owner had 'fixed' it onto the right hand side of the back panel, annoyingly with 2 small screws, grrrrr! :shout:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.

Gordon

Ours has a pull/push handle @ the rear but the outlet just came straight out of the bottom of the tank. Made it very difficult to line up over a grid & impossible to empty where no grid type point was availiable.
I've modified it so it now has an extending section so as long as I can see the grid is behind me(with the camera)it can reach. Also means I can use it to rinse out the cassette on aires etc. when water is in short supply.

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )