Waste water- driving me nuts (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2017
Ely, UK
Funster No
MH
About to buy again!
Exp
Several years
I have an Autotrail Cheyenne 840d and am away for a few months in Spain And Portugal. Before leaving the waste water was slow to drain from the shower and bathroom sink. I did everything to clear the waste pipes and thought I had it solved. However still slow to drain and it's driving me nuts. Has anybody ever tried changing anal the waste pipes to a lager bore? How easy was it? Cheers Dave

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Four bottles of cheap Cola into an empty tank. Drive round for a few miles and drain. Dismantle the valve as the bore is very small and may be partly clogged with waste food, ours was rice and fat deposits.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
changing anal the waste pipe
images (2)_7.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Four bottles of cheap Cola into an empty tank. Drive round for a few miles and drain. Dismantle the valve as the bore is very small and may be partly clogged with waste food, ours was rice and fat deposits.

In the shower and bathroom wastes....the mind boggles. ;):D

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Ours are slow-Hymer-but when they get too much I have a half a tennis ball which I use as a 'sink plunger', put a small amount of water in the sink, place tennis ball over open plug hole and use the flat of you hand to pump the ball.
Being in the bathroom the drains are probably blocked with hair etc, so you may have to dismantle & clean right thru!
Try the tennis bal trick tho it might work, don't pump too hard tho as plastic sinks aren't that strong!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It may have a one-way valve in the pipe which is built a bit like the thing which makes the noise in a whoopee cushion. :) It is possible the rubber has become hard and replacing it would help. I'm not sure your MH has one, but ours, a different make, did.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Dont know how yours works but on ours the pipes are leval under the van and if the van isnt dead level they dont drain right which it never is so we also end up pushing the water to the plug hole or wait till we move.

lawry

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
MERTHYR TYDFIL
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840se
Exp
8 years
I have an Autotrail Cheyenne 840d and am away for a few months in Spain And Portugal. Before leaving the waste water was slow to drain from the shower and bathroom sink. I did everything to clear the waste pipes and thought I had it solved. However still slow to drain and it's driving me nuts. Has anybody ever tried changing anal the waste pipes to a lager bore? How easy was it? Cheers Dave
I have same MH and tried everything to no avail
In the end I removed pipe from the waste and used my pressure washer
The pipe did expand where I thought it may split but all of a sudden it cleared
Perfect now

lawry

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
MERTHYR TYDFIL
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840se
Exp
8 years
Forgot to say that I obviously removed the pipe completely first to check no blockage before and as I said perfect now so changing bore in my opinion wouldn’t help you

Deleted User
Our Globecar was virtually unused when we bought it at 3 years old, we don't use the shower but both sinks are usually very slow to drain. Occasionally they drain correctly, I put this down to parking at a slight tilt, I took a cover off to look at the pipe and it runs virtually horizontally over the wheel arch and is very narrow bore which does not help.

Reactions: DBK

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
Cheap fix, bicarbonate of soda down the plugs in powder form, followed by distilled white vinegar. Watch it froth up , leave overnight and rinse down into waste tank. Liberal amount of bicarb should help greatly.
Good burping .
John

OP
OP
C
Sep 29, 2017
Ely, UK
Funster No
MH
About to buy again!
Exp
Several years
Thanks for all your tips. Sounds like changing the pipes is not an option and as they are difficult to get at that's not so bad. I will try some of the the others and see how I get on. Cheers.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Had the same slow draining in our Rapido clearing the sink drain pipes did no good, murther did drain cleaner etc. Them I thought that there must be a breather pipe which lets air out as the waste water goes in. I found it and cleaned that through with a curtain wire followed by a hose and they did the trick, problem solved. It must a have been far drpodits etc blocking the breather when at times the tank filled up to their level. Just a suggestion but worth a try perhaps. Good luck

Steely Daniel

Free Member
Mar 4, 2015
devon
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T Line 590
Exp
returning to motor homing.
Hi
Just the same problem in mine. Motorhome is a Roller Team, which was new in April. The bathroom basin is really slow to drain and has been since new. Thought I had found the problem when I took the two plugs out of the shower tray wastes, which I thought were creating an air lock
Sadly and predictably it made no difference.
I have had to resort to using a small plunger after using the basin. It then empties rapidly. Obviously undid the bottom of the trap and that is clear.
So, I cannot answer the problem so I'll let the dealer have a look when I go back with a couple of other things. However, not too hopeful that they'll resolve it especially after this thread suggests that this is a common problem.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Try a bottle of cheap Coke, if that doesn't work Preparation H, if that does not work changing the anal waste pipe is a difficult and complex operation :(
And, if expected, it works very well, then Imodium might help.

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
As Matamoros says it is probably the routing of the drain pipework if it has always been slow. Motorhome manufacturers sometimes try to "re-invent" the laws of physics by suggesting that water will flow uphill!! Or put it another way, sod it as long has it has a drain pipe that's our job done. It is also most probable that the drain pipes are ribbed which again from the manufacturer's point of view is great because it is much easier to route it underneath the van (yes even uphill!!) but it will within a fairly short period of time become "narrower" internally because the ribbing is ideal for allowing fat and other deposits to collect. As others have said, next time you drive it, coke, fenwicks bicarbonate of soda. I would still devote some time to looking at the routing and modification.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My sink does that with a bit of water in it, but more than an inch deep, and it pours away very fast. I think they put valves in to stop NIFFS coming up and the valve needs a weight of water to open it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
One other option is that the metal sink waste/plug hole itself has a blockage or some debris just underneath it, I found this to be the case when our camper's kitchen sink wasn't draining well and on initial inspection I couldn't see much wrong with it but after a closer look I could see just below the metal 'grid' part some bits of fluff etc, I got out some old tweezers and had a poke around and pulled out lots of bits of fluffy muck after which I used a very small bottle brush and poked it into all the holes, wiggling it around under the metal 'bars' themselves and then again using tweezers pulled out the bits I'd dislodged to avoid them going down the drain pipe itself and possibly blocking the waste trap. This worked a treat and the sink now drains better than it ever has!

The bit I'm referring to is this type of plug-hole/waste outlet.

her-down-the-plughole.jpg

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
one thing that can help is to loosen the screw in the center of the waste fitting and make sure the holes in the top part are aligned with the lower part even a bit out of line slows flow a lot

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Try Mr Muscle drain unblocker worked on our sink so used on the bathroom sink and shower just poured some in slowly so it didn't go over the shower tray left it 30 minutes then flushed it through

Joe

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Our kitchen sink was very slow to drain, turns out that although the bore of the pipes was OK and all was clear, the way the pipe attaches to the waste tank was the problem. The tank has pre-moulded "nipples" ( Stop sniggering at the back!) on it that the converter cuts the end off and attaches the pipe to. The bore of these is really small - stupidly so - and I had no easy way of attaching a new connector to the tank, as there is no inspection cover to access the inside.

So, I bought a tee piece and new bit of waste pipe, and connected the kitchen waste to two of these nipples, and the sink drains much better now. Still though, sometimes it drains really fast as if the water is being sucked through - and sometimes it just drains at an OK rate - no idea why.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
On our mohican the waste pipe was fitted from new between the chassis & the floor & squashed to about half its size, I got new pipe & re routed it, much better but still need to mod the small bore inlet stubs on the original waste tank.

Musicboy

Free Member
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7096+
Exp
fulltiming since 2003
Have a look at the trap under the sink . Remove & clean or replace to a better flow one .
I had 840d & had sane probs but was able to modify the angle of the pipes to waste tank . Bit if a job .
Have Rapido 7096+ now & just recently totally changed the piping as most vans now are nose down .Again a bit of a job & had to cut out inspection hatch in secondary floor to get to some of the pipes . It's quite amazing that pipes are placed so water drains up hill !!! . I now have independent waste for shower & sink .They drain midshipman so doesn't really matter if vsn us not level & works very well .
Yep . I have a lot of time to do these projects. It's all good fun & extra knowledge .
Anyone doing the above check out the heating pipes too as they are mad too ....

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My slow flowing was there at the start, so My problem is a valve, I am sure. Just have to put more water than I would like to. I try and eke out the water to save it in case we cannot get any. It is a real pain trying to get some from a filling station screen wash filler.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back