Waste tank smells?????!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi this is my first motorhome. I am mystified by all the comments about smell coming back from the waste tank.
Might be a naive question, but why don't the motorhome builders / designers incorporate incorporate small water traps as is required in domestic installations? These are simple devices. There are versions that do not use water and need almost zero head pressure to allow water to drain I have one on my shower at home.

Any experienced views before I start working on this?

Best wishes to all by the way and thanks to all who welcomed me aboard.

OP
OP
Dare_Devil_Dennis

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
YES!!! thank you I was thinking about bending a length of copper pipe into a "Swan Neck" (an S on it's side) and connecting it below each drain hole. These seem more compact and convenient. have you used them?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Molls-Phot

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
We purchased three of those in the first link when they about a fiver each. Seems to have done the trick but we'll find out for sure in the summer when it's much warmer. The water takes a little longer to drain but it's worth it to banish the awful smells.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
IMG_0855.GIF
We love questions, ask away.
Hope you manage to get your traps fitted. We have a problem in hot weather if wild camping or on car park for couple days and cannot empty.
Would be great if and when you do it, you post pics of your efforts!

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Yup, we have the grey one on the outlet from the shower/basin under the van and the white one about a foot under the kitchen sink on a flexi in a cupboard to clear the gubins in the cupboard.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Our old van - a Swift Bessie didn't have traps on the sink wastes. So there was nothing to prevent smells coming from the tank.

Our current van - a Carthago has traps on all the sinks so no nasty smells from the tank.

I guess it varies from one brand to the next.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
They just used to loop the waste pipe before it went in tank to create a trap.

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Both our Hymers had traps fitted. However, there is a problem that space limitations mean the traps don't hold a lot of water, and it can happen that the water in the traps evaporates, or goes stinky itself.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Alternatively when the tank is empty don't close the drain until you are next on site ............... which is what I do.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I'd be a bit concerned about the narrow bore piping bunging up more easily than house pipework if traps are fitted. We just keep plugs in all the plugholes to keep the niffs at bay, and dump the grey water at every opportunity.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back