Free Member
May 7, 2017
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Autotail Chieftian
Exp
Hi,
I have an annoying issue with our waste tank level indicator. Even when the tank is empty it shows 50% and then climbs to 100% and alarms. The tank is not full at this point.

Is there anything I can do?

Cheers
Ian

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
Hi,
I have an annoying issue with our waste tank level indicator. Even when the tank is empty it shows 50% and then climbs to 100% and alarms. The tank is not full at this point.

Is there anything I can do?

Cheers
Ian
I have the same problem but mine shows 100% full constantly
I watch with interest

Nov 9, 2015
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC-I B 580
Exp
Since 2005
Hi
Everyone has their own cure, so it is a common problem. I have tried all the freely available methods i.e. Cheap cola etc but have found that using Elsan waste tank cleaner is the one that works. It comes in litre plastic bottles but is not cheap.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
Seems to be predominantly Autotrails having this issue when I've goggled it. I have an Autotrail 840

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
If you have an inspection hatch clean the probes with a limescale cleaner and check there is no debris between the probes.

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
If you search this site you will notice that this issue has been raised many many times as l have done also. However the solutions offered all appear to last in the short term with the problem reoccurring over and over. The only way forward l guess is just to empty it as frequently as one can at relevant greywater points(likewise with fresh water filling too) That way you are less likely to be caught out and also the small bonus that constant emptying reduces the risk of odour from the waste tank.

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
If you have an inspection hatch clean the probes with a limescale cleaner and check there is no debris between the probes.
Any idea where the inspection hatch would likely to be as there is nothing obvious in the van ?

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
You could replace the Autotrail probes with Horst Miracle probes found HERE not tried them myself but they get good reviews. For me when it starts playing up I just get my hand inside from the bottom cap and give the inside around all the probes a scrub with a pot scourer

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Probes need cleaning.
If you have an AutoTrail it might be a mucky job as the inspection cap is underneath (at least it was on our old AutoTrail).
Our present van has the cap on top of the tank which is accessed from inside the van. I give the tank a good hose out a couple of times a year and reach in to gently wipe the probes down. For the first time ever our level gauges are very accurate. :)

Richard.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We are lucky as we mainly live on a farm with drains on every pitch but when away I drain down every day, with a bucket if needed and fill fresh every day too. Doing it that way your ready for the off whenever you feel like it (y)

OP
OP
Trumpy21

Trumpy21

Free Member
May 7, 2017
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Autotail Chieftian
Exp
There's a thought no alarm. Will see if I can access the probes for a clean

nidge

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I've got a Apache 700 (2011) and have come to the conclusion that the tank level indicators are a total waste of time, both fresh water and waste are very temperamental!! I think as seasoned Motorhomers we know roughly when the fresh wants filling or the waste wants emptying.

Nidge

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I have had this problem constantly since new on a 2015 Autotrail on both waste and fresh . No consistency to it sometimes reads empty when nearly full or full when empty and anything in between. Have tried several different flushing or cleaning products with mixed results. All the suggestions made work or appear to work but I'm not sure. Did speak to someone from Sergeant electrical who suggested the panel might need recalibrating but I haven't followed this up yet. If I get around to speaking to them again I'll post their comments. On hours the access hatch to fresh and waste water is underneath. If you remove the screw cap careful with seal when replacing, very easy to catch and stretch.

Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
I have tried all the freely available methods i.e. Cheap cola etc but have found that using Elsan waste tank cleaner is the one that works. It comes in litre plastic bottles but is not cheap.

What do you do with it ? Just fill the tank with it ?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Most of the time I use a drain can and leave the tap open. No problem with smells and the daily ritual of emptying the can is no great inconvenience. Still clean the tank from time to time but the muck is mostly confined to the bottom.

Last edited:

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
I cheated, added a second wast tank 96 lt in total only 86 lt fresh so fill one empty tother ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back