washing tablet's and toilet's (1 Viewer)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We flush with plain water - no pink stuff added.

As for loo roll, use budget stuff - Lidl's stuff is recommended - cheaper than the Thetford stuff and doesn't clog up like the posh stuff can.

Don't use wet wipes or similar.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Well, that cleared that up nicely! :shout::Doh:

So do we use the bio wash powder/liquid/tabs etc with just plane water flush or with pink liquid?

Can we use any old loo paper, or are you supposed to buy special stuff for chemical loos?

TC was talking about different chemicals to me, I've not used the proprietary stuff for putting down loos since my caravanning days, which were some time ago as the caravan was pulled by a horse.

I was very sceptical about how bio washing liquid would work but was surprised by how effective it is. A couple of capfuls or just one if being economical down the bowl and plain water for flushing, but it is a SOG, not sure if it would be as effective with a conventional loo.

Cheapie loo paper for us.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
TC was talking about different chemicals to me, I've not used the proprietary stuff for putting down loos since my caravanning days, which were some time ago as the caravan was pulled by a horse.

I was very sceptical about how bio washing liquid would work but was surprised by how effective it is. A couple of capfuls or just one if being economical down the bowl and plain water for flushing, but it is a SOG, not sure if it would be as effective with a conventional loo.

Cheapie loo paper for us.
we only use the Times

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We use the bio wash liquid, any supermarket brand but prefer Carrefour, and we don't have a Sog.
Loo paper, don't buy the special (high priced) stuff, we just use Tesco soft paper, it breaks down very quickly, and a fraction of the price. We do use a lot too as we do the line the bowl trick for a no2 to avoid using loads of flushing water.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
We use the bio wash liquid, any supermarket brand but prefer Carrefour, and we don't have a Sog.
Loo paper, don't buy the special (high priced) stuff, we just use Tesco soft paper, it breaks down very quickly, and a fraction of the price. We do use a lot too as we do the line the bowl trick for a no2 to avoid using loads of flushing water.

???????????????

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
I've read through this thread and must admit that this is the first I have heard of adding a book tab or liquid to the toilet cassette. I have always used the elsen thick liquid and although this seems quite sufficient at quelling the usual longs when emptying, there are times when it doesn't live up to its name. Do I now understand, that a lot of funsters now add bio washing tabs to the cassette as well to do away with these one off longs. If so can someone please give me the tip from the beginning as I've never heard it before and it sounds like it will be a big bonus for my nose when emptying. What goes in the newly flushed tank, how much and how often, please......?:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I've read through this thread and must admit that this is the first I have heard of adding a book tab or liquid to the toilet cassette. I have always used the elsen thick liquid and although this seems quite sufficient at quelling the usual longs when emptying, there are times when it doesn't live up to its name. Do I now understand, that a lot of funsters now add bio washing tabs to the cassette as well to do away with these one off longs. If so can someone please give me the tip from the beginning as I've never heard it before and it sounds like it will be a big bonus for my nose when emptying. What goes in the newly flushed tank, how much and how often, please......?:Doh:

I have been following this thread with interest as I am new to motohoming.

Apparently, as far as I can tell, it goes like this:

Put 1 or 2 cap fulls of your bio liquid, powder or a tablet into the cartridge, and a couple of inches of water to dissolve it. Some tablets need warm water apparently...??
Use the loo as normal and use plain old water to flush, no need for the pink stuff!
If smells start being produced, add another cap of the bio liquid/powder.
Oxi has also been mentioned, and this makes sense as oxygen is your friend when it comes to breaking down the waste.
The loo will smell sweet as will the cartridge when you empty it.
Allegedly! :Eeek:
Apparently it is that simple.

I don't know if this is good or bad for the environment?

I have ordered a new cassette for my loo, as the one which came with the van is in poor condition, and exceedingly smelly. It also has a leaky valve and a very hard to move blade. When the new one arrives I will try this method out and see how it goes.

As for cleaning, I don't know what people suggest - there seems to be discourse over the use of formaldehyde. Personally I would be against it's use for ecological reasons.

It is also - apparently - suggested that you empty the loo at least once a day! Who knew!? lol

My plan is to try the bio liquid and plain water flush, with some pink stuff on hand if required, as a backup. I will try cleaning with large amounts of oxi powder and a long soak. If that does not work I will try the proper blue stuff from Thetford. I want to try and keep my new cassette as clean and smell free as possible.

ETA: Can anyone advise me how to get rid of my old cassette? I have tried to find a local dump here in Cornwall but I am struggling with that. They are all - apparently - called Household Waste Recycling Centres with very specific lists of what can be taken there...... :/

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
simples really....a few years back formaldehyde was banned as an ingredient in toilet blue liquid, elsan and other brands. this led to a less effective and more expensive alternate liquid being offered as the norm.

many people were aware of the issues before the ban or had to use alternatives because of septic tanks at home. the cheap and effective solution was to use biological washing powder or liquid instead of the blue. not only does it break down the solids and kill the bacteria that produce the smell, it also generally contains a perfume content.

no more nasty smells and a clean cassette if used regularly. just add a couple of capfulls of liquid or cup of powder to an empty tank plus about a litre of water. if you continue to get smells in use add another capfull down the loo as you add solids.

many motorhomes only flush with fresh water from the tank anyway, but you can always keep a spray bottle by to loo containing diluted bio liquid. a couple of sprays after flushing will certainly help keep the bowl clean. my own preference is to polish the bowl when its clean with car polish. this reduces sticking and staining of the plastic

disposing of an old smelly cassette is an interesting question, as its technically a bio hazard and needs proper disposal. I would be inclined to have a local drainage firm dispose of it for me. they often send skipfulls of contaminated old drains and used sanitary ware to landfill. alternatively send it up to parliament as they talk so much crap nobody would notice a tiny amount more

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
You see loads of china toilets being thrown away at our tip why can't your cassette just go in along with the other sanitary ware?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This year we have started useing tesco bio, tank is cleaner than it's ever been and smells better too, had no problems at all and as there is only the two of us, only empty when full , about three days, unless we happen to be by an emptying point then I empty it anyway, we do still use the pink in the flush as we had some left but when that runs out will try without.
As to getting rid of other tank, unless it really can't be savaged I'd keep it , you can get all the parts , try putting some bleach or something in it and leave it for a bit, can't hurt if you are chucking it anyway, handy to have a spare:thumb:
But if you are going to get rid ,I would put it in a tesco bag and put it in the middle of your bin, whos going to check it:thumb:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You can last 3 days before emptying! We do ours every day otherwise it is full the following day.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
You can last 3 days before emptying! We do ours every day otherwise it is full the following day.
we can last three days the boy use a small bucket we just stand it in the loo or if in a remote location the nearest tree:thumb:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Yes, seriously, but if we see public toilets during the day we do use them, I don't put water in to start just the bio stuff, reasoning there'll soon be some water in:Eeek: so that maybe saves a bit, just put some new batteries in the thingy that puts a light on when it's full so going to see when that says it needs emptying:thumb:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We do use the thetford toilet paper though, usually try to get some when it's on offer somewhere, but as someone else said the tesco value stuff is almost as good, but although the thetford is dear we find it seems to last longer, and it certainly dissolves in the tank a lot better:thumb:

easygirl

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
3 years
Is formaldehyde banned in gb?
Saw some in aldi last week that contained it?

Oct 22, 2012
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T590
Exp
We use Aldi Almat bio laundry sachets. One per day. We empty our cassette every evening simply to avoid the night time panic when bottom problems happen. Been caught a few times!
We find the cassette smells less and is cleaner than using " blue " chemicals.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I think there is a EU directive but Spain France and the rest of Europe will ignore it so we may as well enforce it to the letter

Feb 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
A big white thing ???
Exp
3 yrs, (tenting and tugging before)
Yes, we only need to empty ours every three days, only really use it morning and night. Took my daughter and gdaughter away for 3 days last week, and just using am and pm it lasted. Just!!!!!! Perhaps as well, I wouldn't have any idea of how to empty it!

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
...As to getting rid of other tank, unless it really can't be savaged I'd keep it , you can get all the parts , try putting some bleach or something in it and leave it for a bit, can't hurt if you are chucking it anyway, handy to have a spare:thumb:

I agree with Chaser here - give the old cassette a couple of real good soaks using that Oxy laundry stain remover* and boiling water, rinse well, then service the seals as Graham (GJH) suggests in Dai Motorhome's thread [FONT=&quot]http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/motorhome-chat/83750-pool-water-under-toilet-cassette-thetford.html[/FONT]
Nothing lost... :thumb:

:secret:* if you don't use oxy stuff for your laundry and don't want to spend a fortune on the named brand, a cheaper alternative can be found at Poundland - I have also used a solution of it to clean the wastepipes in the MH

Last edited:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Formaldehyde may still be available but many of the sites that we use have septic tanks and we wouldn't want to be in a situation where we can't empty the cassette because the formaldehyde will kill the bacteria that the septic tank needs to function.

I've seen signs saying "wc disposal - no chemicals / formaldehyde permitted"

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well not only here, anything remotely rural sur le continong, always has a fosse septique anyway.

Stayed on a French fishing lake once - owned by English people, chalet with services, were told cleaning stuff was all in the cupboard and we were surprised it wasn't 'green' stuff. Bearing in mind there were 10 of us for a fortnight, yes we did do some bathroom and kitchen cleaning, and a fair bit of washing up.

Anyway we saw them the last day of the hols and we mentioned this ... Oh! she says, we always wondered why the bacteria kept dying!

:Eeek: :Doh:​

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
put some oxy clean boiling water in before living hull this morning spotless on the bottom of my cartridge brown gunge gone :thumb: will give it one more and levee upside down to get inside top clean

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
put some oxy clean boiling water in before living hull this morning spotless on the bottom of my cartridge [HI]brown gunge gone [/HI]:thumb: will give it one more and levee upside down to get inside top clean

Possibly a tad too much information, me thinks.
Well done Bill.

thraxugrut

Free Member
Jun 19, 2013
Irlam, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a Newbie
We're also going to buy a new cassette as the blade on ours isn't operating properly. . .

Does anyone know if there is a company that services them? I'd be happy to pay £50 or so for someone to service it for a spare (but not much more as you can get them new for around £80)

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Question

Is it still safe to dispose of your black waste in a site that uses a septic tank? We have started using the bio-liquid in the loo and it really does work, far fewer nasty smells, and emptying is much nicer too. Especially since I have a brand new cassette! But this method does seem to be keeping it clean.

Any way, I don't want to be leaving a trail of messed up septic tanks behind me. So what's the story with that?

sandrae

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Glastonbury
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Long time
General advice re septic tanks is not to use bio washing powder/liquid/gel or any other bio detergents or if you must use them very, very sparingly as they can upset the bacteria that enable the septic tank to work. I suspect that if a lot of people are putting ordinary loo chemicals or bio washing stuff down the drains on campsites with septic tanks they could potentially cause problems for the site owners.

We only use green (eco) toilet fluid and Ecover washing products. Same goes for shampoo etc to prevent problems.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back