Washing Powder ? (1 Viewer)

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
Firstly I apologise if this is a daft question but am I right in thinking that some funsters use washing powder in the toilet waste tank instead of the usual blue fluid ? :confused:
Or have I read that incorrectly ?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
some do ,some use vinegar . some like me use nothing .
bacteria lives in my cassette and breaks down the solids very quickly.
never wash the inside of cassette it works better if bacteria is inside.

Reactions: GBS

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
OMO ....... not a soap powder question!
Persil-ly we use the blue gloop :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
We used bio tabs for years but this time have got some blue crystals off e-bay ÂŁ20 says it makes six gallons (about 26 ltr for you modern folk) will let you all know if it is any good

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
It's not washing powder, it's washing liquid. It must be bio though. Just get the cheapest bio laundry liquid you can find. We usually use Lidl's Formil which works and can be bought both here and in France (possibly other countries too but have only been to Germany before but didn't need to buy any then.)

Denise

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Absolutely. Bio liquid is the biz, I have used Tescos and Sainsbury but I reckon Lidl Formil is the best, just make sure it is the bio. Works much better than the blue stuff and keeps the cassette clean, cheaper too.
To reduce smells with whatever you use, avoid rinsing the cassette when you empty it unless it is disgustingly cruddy. It keeps the bacteria going which break things down. Also if you must rinse don't shake vigorously as you can damage the internal mechanism.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Is this bio stuff suitable for the flush tank too?

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Don't know I'm afraid. Very few motorhomes have a separate flush tank, usually just flushes from the main tank.
Really?
Surely it is only the larger MH's that have sufficiently large water tanks that can use some for toilet flushing.
Most small/medium units have a separate flush water tank built in as part of the toilet.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Our RV used water from the main 300 litre fresh water tank to flush the toilet, our last 2 motorhomes used a separate tank for the flush, which I think in smaller Euro vans is a better idea.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
What's the problem with the blue fluid, it works well for us.
Nothing wrong with the blue- it is a bit more expensive; but if you use the bio washing capsules you can flush cassette down your own loo at home - we use these on day trips with the grandkids in the van. Not a good thing to tip the elsan stuff down into the household drains, but for short trip with widdly kids is good !!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I used Sainsburys cheapest bio laundry powder in the cassette and found it worked better than liquid.
Used to be in a white box with orange lettering. I think, cheap as chips, worked perfectly.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I used Sainsburys cheapest bio laundry powder in the cassette and found it worked better than liquid.
Used to be in a white box with orange lettering. I think, cheap as chips, worked perfectly.
How much do you use?

OP
OP
Rockcrawler
Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
Obviously it doesn't clump together in the tank like I remember it doing in the washing machine ?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If you pre mixed washing powder with hot or boiling water then used it by placing in the drum of a machine, would it still clump up ? Just wondered as liquid detergent is put straight in to the drum.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
It's not washing powder, it's washing liquid. It must be bio though. Just get the cheapest bio laundry liquid you can find. We usually use Lidl's Formil which works and can be bought both here and in France (possibly other countries too but have only been to Germany before but didn't need to buy any then.)

Denise

We use a Bio clothes washing liquid, cheapest we can find, usually one cap full each time the cassette is emptied.
We do have a SOG fitted.
If you use a washing liquid you will still get the pong unless you have a SOG!

OP
OP
Rockcrawler
Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
If you pre mixed washing powder with hot or boiling water then used it by placing in the drum of a machine, would it still clump up ? Just wondered as liquid detergent is put straight in to the drum.
Good point (y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Really?
Surely it is only the larger MH's that have sufficiently large water tanks that can use some for toilet flushing.
Most small/medium units have a separate flush water tank built in as part of the toilet.
I think nearly all use the main water tank for flushing nowadays The amount used is hardly noticed when the main tank holds well over 100 litres. The dissapointing capacity is the toilet casette.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I think nearly all use the main water tank for flushing nowadays The amount used is hardly noticed when the main tank holds well over 100 litres. The dissapointing capacity is the toilet casette.

That is controlled by what people can lift/pick up weight wise

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
If you use a washing liquid you will still get the pong unless you have a SOG!
... when somebody else gets it! :LOL:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Obviously a matter of taste ( smell really) but I dislike the smell of the blue fluid. It is more expensive and it stains. On returning from a trip I empty the cassette down the cloakroom toilet, no problem with the bio but the blue can cause stains which can be difficult to remove.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Obviously a matter of taste ( smell really) but I dislike the smell of the blue fluid. It is more expensive and it stains. On returning from a trip I empty the cassette down the cloakroom toilet, no problem with the bio but the blue can cause stains which can be difficult to remove.
Same for us. Don't like the chemical smell of the blue so bio liquid for us (we also have a SOG but didn't on our previous van).

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Disappointed result using Lidl washing liquid so have gone back to using proper Blue stuff. Never had a problem when flushing in a toilet at home. (Sometimes needs a couple of flushes but no stain left behind.)

Dave

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We are lucky in that if we need to empty the cassette at home our outside drains have the removable grate to easy to empty the toilet down it.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We used to use the big brand toilet chemicals but hated their smell so tried bio laundry tablets - any cheap brand will do just need to be bio) as suggested by many on here & they work as well if not better. Just pop one in tank before first use - can drop from loo so don't have to take cassette out & no need to add water. Not essential for just wee as it is almost sterile but we use a spray of this http://www.biggreensmile.com/produc...h-eucalyptus/bdeuca1l.aspx?productid=bdeuca1l diluted accordingly around the bowl with just a very tiny flush to conserve water. When the tank starts to fill up just add a second bio tablet if needed. We use this small spray Amazon product ASIN B002G0NCZM - it is just the right size & has a powerful jet. The laundry tablets can be bought at any supermarket & store easily with no risk of staining. They probably work out quite a bit cheaper too compared to toilet chemicals but that's just a bonus :)
Happy Bowl liners http://www.buyhappybowl.com/ are a popular way to keep your toilet clean too if using for more than just a wee! Suggest using Google Shopping & compare prices on Amazon & eBay too for best price.
If travelling home with an empty cassette then pop a bio tablet in & some hot water & it will jiggle about & clean the tank so will just need rinsing out once home. If the tank needs major cleaning inside then Thetford Cassette Tank Cleaner works well although have read that no cleaning just emptying keeping some bacteria inside your tank helps waste to break down :unsure: Keeping the detergent off the tank seal & lubricating it with a silicone spray like Thetford Seal Lubricant or olive oil helps keep it in good condition.
Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to toilet use & care & ours have developed after trying suggestions from the forum & are the most suitable for us that we have tried so far but may not suit all!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back