Washing machine or not? (1 Viewer)

Spwilkinson

Free Member
Mar 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
A class - mobilvetta
Exp
What are people's experiences with portable washing machines in the motorhome? I've been keeping a track of our laundry costs (2 adults and 2 toddlers) and, financially, it seems a no-brainer to buy one. Amazon seems to have some with good reviews for < £100 and so it would pay for itself in 2/3 months (NB - we're currently full time as we're meant to be traveling round Europe, hence the relatively short time period for pay back).

Having said that, I know we'd still have laundry costs for bedding etc, and am also aware that they may not be suitable for regular use. If you do recommend one, can I ask what brand and or model?

We're going to buy a trailer and so the 10kg weight wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Thanks in advance!

Deleted User
Briefly - no, you'll still need a commercial machine somewhere.

Nomadian

Free Member
Feb 21, 2020
Not up Jim’s arse like some
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
More than some less than others
We have a leisurewize one bought off eBay for £100. It’s ok, it’s paid for its self twice over. You have to fetch and carry water and boil your water as it doesn’t heat the water up. It’s no good for heavy bedding or large heavy towels but apart from that it’s been a good buy, works off the inverter no probs as the max draw is 180watts. Don’t expect to do a big wash all in one go as the max load is 3.5kg.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
I bought one and use it for two wk hols, not bothering for Shorter stints. I find it labour intensive, get water, get more water for rinsing. Start with whites n progress to colours so don’t have to change washing water too often. The cycles are reasonable, 15 mins. The spin is brilliant. So far we’ve used it on good days outside. It vibrates quite a bit so inside I would think that the only suitable location would be the shower, I think it would walk off the kitchen worktop.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We’ve got a mini washing machine in our garage

washes and spins just like a washing machine at home

04A557A2-88F1-40FC-BD0E-A7536FF0232B.jpeg

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
No! No and No! One of the penalties (?) of living in most motorhomes, is the limited space. Unless you perhaps own a large American RV with several 'pull out's' the limited storage space for a holiday with children (children = toys), yourself and perhaps a partner would for me be a non-starter. My wife and I have a 5 berth motorhome, with large garage and struggle to find enough room for our belongings. Allowing for the extra payload of carrying a washing machine is yet another factor.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
No! Space, weight, value, spend the purchase price on a rent machine or give the children a bucket of warm water with soap suds.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
I did like the idea from robiebee a few years ago:
"what you want is a bucket with a tight fitting lid place your washing in bucket with hot water and soap powder fit the the lid and take it for a drive and hey presto your washing is done, it does work but do make sure the lid don't come off or that it falls over in transit great for washing your smalls as you go"

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
I tried both types there available from from Argos. Ended up taking them back. As more or less useless. Ok for the odd tshirt, shorts etc, twin tub design whites first soon off then coloured. Forget a duvet cover as too big. I prefer to use on site machine and have the extra space. Or do it by hand in a bucket. Unless you have garage space like Robert Clark has I would forget it.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Whilst we were waiting for the ferry in New Zealand the owner of a coach build was showing us his motorhome. He was quite proud of the washing machine under the rear bed. It was neatly fitted.by The bed was lifted on gas struts.
He said he only used it on hook up were he had water on hand. I would find a site with a laundry. I don’t think French site hook ups would cope with the load from plugging a washing machine in.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Guys you have to have a bigger MoHo, this is a 2014 image of the Team Sky Coach it is a pretty amazing vehicle one of the features is TWO yes TWO washing machines to keep kit clean.
image_update_img.jpg

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Have to say though washing clothes is the last thing I want to do when on holiday and only do it when needs must, on occasion when traveling very light and camping just washed the clothes in the shower Needs must and all that.

Apr 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Converted transit
Exp
I did like the idea from robiebee a few years ago:
"what you want is a bucket with a tight fitting lid place your washing in bucket with hot water and soap powder fit the the lid and take it for a drive and hey presto your washing is done, it does work but do make sure the lid don't come off or that it falls over in transit great for washing your smalls as you go"
And a salad spinner thingy?

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Some one I know has a habit of miscalculating her requirments when we are away. A food shop can become a clothes shop rather than bother washing clothes.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We carried one for a while. Absolutely fine in good weather as clothes are lighter. They will do a sheet or duvet cover on their own. We used ours in the shower as it could be easily filled with hot water from the shower and just drained into the shower drain. No hook up needed as will run off any small inverter. It took up quite a bit of space so currently is in the shed at home. We now just stop on a site and use their machines.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We’ve got a mini washing machine in our garage

washes and spins just like a washing machine at home

View attachment 379570
? Robert Clark, ”We’ve done it” and everyone else’s posts “No, No, No, it can’t be done”

Next you‘ll be telling us that you can run it from the inverter, which as we all know inverters can’t be used as it flattens the 85 amp battery ?

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I think a washing machine sounds like a good idea BUT it does seem most people try it then get rid of it.
We watched a couple-living in a caravan-they did their washing once a week and he spent all day-more or less- ferrying clean & dirty water!
I hand wash the lighter stuff and then find a Laundrette for the heavier & larger items.
Its not really about the washing it’s the drying that’s the problem!

Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Were fulltiming. We spent a month in top half of Spain and would do a little wash each day. In like a big rubber bucket like builders use. Ok it took time. But once hung up would dry in no time. Even did bedding. Probably not as good as a mc but good enough.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Not.
This is what you need:
That should have taken you straight to Bob's post and a few photos of our laundry.
Janie ?

Jun 11, 2011
Derby
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840 SE
Exp
The wife thinks they are really really good, Im sure Its because
1, I have to fetch the water
2, I have to take the washed clothes to the sinks and do the rinsing
3, she likes to organise me.

1587195486649.png
Cheers :drinks:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I have sold lots of twin tub traveling washing machines over the past few years and have tested them on various washes so I could be honest when customers ask questions.

1 They wash extremely well in a short time
2 You can fit sheets in them
3 They will happily run off a small inverter
4 They pay for themselves in no time
5 They are lightweight <11KG
6 They are very reliable
7 The spin is very fast and makes synthetics feel dry to the touch
8 They dont heat their own water
9 They can be stored on their side
10 They usually have a drain pump

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We carry a twin tub, washes & spins well it does take a bit of time as it works best with small loads. If the weather is good and we have easy access to water much better to be sitting by your van than in a laundrette.

Wash day on an Aire.
1587201908109.png

Last edited:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
The wife thinks they are really really good, Im sure Its because
1, I have to fetch the water
2, I have to take the washed clothes to the sinks and do the rinsing
3, she likes to organise me.

View attachment 379635 Cheers :drinks:

You don't need to take clothes to the sinks to rinse them. Just spin them, leave them in the spinner, pour clean water over the clothes, allow the water to drain through, spin and repeat once more.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
No.
Organise your wardrobe so you only take easy to wash clothes.
Take enough clothes that will last you two weeks.
(Many people wash their clothes too often)
Find a launderette ( they are everywhere) and relax while the machines do the hard work.
Wash clothes every two weeks.
Use your portable washing machine space and weight to carry more wine/ beer/ favourite tipple.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Our approach is to stand the dirty clothes in a bucket with a dose of washing liquid and leave overnight then go through it by hand in the morning. The dirt seems to just fall away. Not the lazy persons way but seems to keep the two of us going. A certain amount of discipline required, ie remove garment, place in bucket at night just before retiring, deal with it at the start of the day, leave in the washroom on board hanging or drape over an used seat by a window having squeezed as much as you can of the rinse water out, let the sun (if there is any) do the rest. Another piece of kit, having weighed mine with a 300k pay load last year I was getting rid of stuff before setting off so not an option for a machine

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Use the laundry machines at supermarkets, while your clothes are washing, do your shopping and have a coffee. Sorted

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
No.
Organise your wardrobe so you only take easy to wash clothes.
Take enough clothes that will last you two weeks.
(Many people wash their clothes too often)
Find a launderette ( they are everywhere) and relax while the machines do the hard work.
Wash clothes every two weeks.
Use your portable washing machine space and weight to carry more wine/ beer/ favourite tipple.

Personally I can't imagine wearing anything for two weeks without washing it. Sounds a bit grim to me!

philsil1304

Free Member
May 6, 2010
Funster No
We met an MHer with a twin tub. She bought it because, previously, when she was waiting to use the campsite washing machine, a person was unloading bedding and saying that the launderette was a godsend as their kids had been up all night with the runs and vomiting.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back